2017 Coaching Carousel

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
6 years $42 million and turned them down. I'm pretty sure only Saban and Harbaugh get paid more. If that ain't an F you I don't know what is.

Probably a great move by Gundy. He's got a great job with a lot of support.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

GREAT hire by Miss State. Surprised Morehead didn't hold out for a better situation, but Mullen left Miss State in a good position for the next coach to succeed. It's going to be fun watching Morehead's offense in the SEC.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

GREAT hire by Miss State. Surprised he didn't hold out for a better situation, but Mullen left Miss State in a good position for the next coach to succeed. It's going to be fun watching Morehead's offense in the SEC.

Homerun hire by MSU! Techster I've read rumors that Arkansas may hire Kevin Sumlin. What do you think about possibly Herm Edwards coaching Ariz State?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Homerun hire by MSU! Techster I've read rumors that Arkansas may hire Kevin Sumlin. What do you think about possibly Herm Edwards coaching Ariz State?

Sumlin is actually a good coach. He needs to be more involved with his offense as I think he got away from what made him successful in the first place. Lots of other things involved at TX A&M that get in a coaches way to actually coach. He could do well there, but he won't have the talent base he did at TAMU.

Herm Edwards is a weird choice. Hasn't coached football since 2008? No history of coaching college. He's a high character guy and could succeed if he gets the right OC and DC. I could see him succeed as a CEO type head coach and his personality could win a lot of living room recruiting battles, but overall there are better candidates out there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This will probably be my last post on the topic, since I think we've hit an impasse - you clearly believe he is not a great coach according to your definition, whereas I think the term applies - and I just wanted to address some of your points

Firstly, regarding the Navy-Rutgers and CPJ-Schiano comparison: Navy was not in the same situation as Rutgers. Before Schiano, Rutgers had only been to 1 bowl game in its entire 131-year history (1869-2000, the year Schiano took over). Before CPJ took over in 2002, Navy had been to several and won 9 games as recently as 1996, a feat that before Schiano, Rutgers had not accomplished since 1978, coincidentally the only year they had been to a bowl game. Rutgers was more of a dumpster fire than even Navy. And I'm not saying that CPJ is not a great coach - I think he is. He deserves a ton of credit for turning Navy around in such a short time and setting them on the path to consistent success. But at the same time, it feels disingenuous on your part to acknowledge that and give it proper credit, yet not give Schiano the credit he deserves at Rutgers. After his first 4 years, when he was able to get his first full 4-year cycle of recruits in, Schiano went 56-33 and went to 6 bowl games, winning 5 (as I said previously, Rutgers had only been to 1 before Schiano, and lost it). You also mentioned that Schiano and CPJ only finished ranked one of their years. You didn't include, however, that Rutgers finished 12th in the nation, whereas Navy only finished 24th - barely in the Top 25. Both orchestrated the same turnaround - it just took CPJ a little less time than it took Schiano (and in fact, CPJ was 1-4 against Schiano during his time at Navy), so to call one of them great and the other not just because of an arbitrary time limit seems a little misleading to me

Secondly, regarding the Schiano job prospects: Schiano has been offered several high-profile jobs since his firing from Tampa in 2013. There are several reports and reasons why he turned them down - he first took a couple of years from coaching to redefine his philosophy and his approach, as well as stepping away to focus more on his family (much like how Gene Chizik stepped away this year to focus on family and how Pete Carroll stepped away for 2 years after being fired from New England). During this time, he was a volunteer coach at his son's high school in Tampa, not because he couldn't get a good job as a HC or DC at the college level but for the reasons I mentioned above. When he came to Ohio State, he always intended to coach through the 2017 season in Columbus because his sons would graduate high school by the end of the 2017 scholastic year and he didn't want to move his family before then. It wasn't a matter of nobody approaching him - he didn't go anywhere because he was waiting for the right job and time to do so

Finally, I encourage you to read this article - https://www.si.com/2014/11/04/nfl-greg-schiano-year-off - not because I think I will change your opinion on this (you sound pretty determined, which is why I don't see too much of need to keep this conversation going since neither of us are going to convince the other) but because I think it's a good read and might help you understand where I'm coming from. If you do want to keep this conversation going, however, I am more than happy to help CuseJacket move these posts to the Coaching Carousel thread and we can continue discussing there without clogging up this thread

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree with it, and I hope the above clarifies a little why I think that Greg Schiano is a great coach

Man, I'll leave it at this: Given all the openings this year for a 'great head coach", the only school that pursued Schiano is the one school you admit has no clue what they're doing, Tennessee.

Don't see any other schools beating down his door to head their program.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sumlin is actually a good coach. He needs to be more involved with his offense as I think he got away from what made him successful in the first place. Lots of other things involved at TX A&M that get in a coaches way to actually coach. He could do well there, but he won't have the talent base he did at TAMU.

Herm Edwards is a weird choice. Hasn't coached football since 2008? No history of coaching college. He's a high character guy and could succeed if he gets the right OC and DC. I could see him succeed as a CEO type head coach and his personality could win a lot of living room recruiting battles, but overall there are better candidates out there.
If I were Ariz State I would talk to Jim Mora Jr or Brian Harsin