2017 Coaching Carousel

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Serious question, If we needed a coach, y'all would really want to hire Schiano?
I could think of worse (Lane Kiffin being one of the first names to come to mind). Anyone that can make Rutgers relevant would do a great job basically anywhere else. I can certainly think of a few names that I'd want to look at before Schiano, but I would not be complaining if Schiano wanted to take the job at Georgia Tech and we struck out on some other options

Frankly, if I could have ANY coach - realistic or not - to lead Georgia Tech, the number one name on my list would be Mark Dantonio, followed closely by Mike Leach, if that gives you any indication on what I value and look at in a coach

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I could think of worse (Lane Kiffin being one of the first names to come to mind). Anyone that can make Rutgers relevant would do a great job basically anywhere else. I can certainly think of a few names that I'd want to look at before Schiano, but I would not be complaining if Schiano wanted to take the job at Georgia Tech and we struck out on some other options

Frankly, if I could have ANY coach - realistic or not - to lead Georgia Tech, the number one name on my list would be Mark Dantonio, followed closely by Mike Leach, if that gives you any indication on what I value and look at in a coach
I would go with someone young and energetic like Scott Frost, Chad Morris, or PJ Fleck and Fleck would be my top choice. Give me a coach who had to rebuild a school and increased its win totals each year he was there.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Agree with the first part. Disagree with the second part.

He's a TREMENDOUS defensive coordinator, but as a head coach he's OK. Give him credit for turning around Rutgers which was a dumpster fire, but really only had 1 "special" year and only finished in the top 25 once in his 11 years. That was in one of the weakest conferences as well...the Big East. He's also a notorious @ssho1e to his players, and does not relate to well to donors and administration...which is kind of a big deal in the South.

Schiano may be a good HC one day, but Tennessee was a bad fit.

EDIT: Let me also add, that Sandusky tie by UT fans is a disgrace. They've got bad juju heading their way for that.
Asking for Rutgers finishing ranked multiple times in 11 years while in the Big East seems a little like asking too much for me. That's like asking UConn to finish ranked multiple times in 11 years. The fact he finished in the top 15 one year, while winning at least 8 games in 4 of his last 5 years (while at Rutgers) is proof enough to me that he's a great head coach. I could see him not working out at Tennessee because he's a Northerner trying to fit in with Southern culture and how the SEC works, but not because he isn't a good head coach

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
@Yomanser nailed it. There is no reasonable coach for them left. You have a hypocritical, POS, douche Clay Travis who basically started all this. Didn't like the hire because he's so far up John Gruden's *** along with a bunch of other delusional Tennessee fans who think they can nab any coach they want because they are a Top 5 program that they played the Penn State card knowing a bunch of Tennessee Sheep Fans would eat it up and they did.

Mind you that this is the same Clay Travis who for years talks about how we should never let mob rule control society and decision makers. Dude embodies everything about the media he claims to be against.
Here are who I think Tennessee will probably pursue now

Lane Kiffin
Tee Martin
Jeff Brohm
Jeremy Pruitt
Bob Petrino

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Asking for Rutgers finishing ranked multiple times in 11 years while in the Big East seems a little like asking too much for me. That's like asking UConn to finish ranked multiple times in 11 years. The fact he finished in the top 15 one year, while winning at least 8 games in 4 of his last 5 years (while at Rutgers) is proof enough to me that he's a great head coach. I could see him not working out at Tennessee because he's a Northerner trying to fit in with Southern culture and how the SEC works, but not because he isn't a good head coach

You and I have very different definitions of "a great head coach".

Even if you're generous and don't count his first 2 years (due to taking over a dumpster fire) at Rutgers which were his worst years, his winning percentage is still just 58%...playing in the Big East. At that time it was with Pitt, UConn, Louisville, WVU, Syracuse. Miami, VA Tech, and BC left in 2004...and miraculously, Schiano's actually started to have winning seasons. Even then he went 7-5, 11-2, 8-5, 8-5, 9-4, 4-8, 9-4. Even if you only consider his Big East record, his best finish was tied for 2nd twice (2008 and 2006), keep in mind, Miami and VA Tech already left by then. Otherwise, he finished 7th in 2003, 6th 2004, 3rd 2005, 5th in 2007, 4th in 2009, 8th in 2010, and 4th in 2011. 2011 being his last year at Rutgers. None of that says "great head coach" to me. It says he was an OK coach.

Louisville (under Petrino and Strong), WVU were able to make multiple appearances in the top 25 during those years...why couldn't Schiano at Rutgers do it?

Also, as a college head coach, the off the field responsibilities and fit are just as important than the on the field stuff. Moreso in college than any other level because of how the HC has act as a fundraising figure with donors. You can't separate that from a HC's duties. Even CPJ, who is notoriously *****ly in front of the media, is actually quite personable with donors and fans when he's with them.

EDIT:

Also this to consider: At Rutgers, football isn't the 247-365 obsession it is in the SEC and especially at a school like UT. Schiano could do things with relative anonymity compared to the microscope he'll be put under at UT. You think someone like Schiano would hold up well in that environment when he also has to coach against coaches like Saban, Malzahn, Smart, Mullen, an improving and recruiting ace like Orgeron, Smart, and whoever TX AM gets?

Last edited:

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I would go with someone young and energetic like Scott Frost, Chad Morris, or PJ Fleck and Fleck would be my top choice. Give me a coach who had to rebuild a school and increased its win totals each year he was there.
The Vol fans on places like Volnation count out most candidates who have losing records like Greg Schiano or PJ Flick

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Another name mentioned for the Tennessee head coaching job that has been mentioned on Tennessee message boards is Detroit Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter who was a Tennessee QB from 1992-1996. His only minus is when he was at UT he got drunk and broke into someone's home in Knoxville.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
just a question, a serious one because I am curious as to the affection for Tennessee: why does any GT fan concern himself a minute about the Tennessee coaching position? As Jonathon Winters would say, Why, why?

Oh, it's just something to talk about. For all I care, they can go 0-12 every year with whoever they hire.

herb

Helluva Engineer

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ok, I could get behind those, but this guy, NO!

https://www.theringer.com/2017/11/2...see-rutgers-national-media-reaction-misguided

I don't think it is at all wrong not to want him to be at your school, I wouldn't
LMAO give me a break with this moral high ground BS. This is the same fan base that is consistently throwing a fit their AD isn't the guy with the most infamous made up trophy in all of college football named after. The same fan base that would go goo goo if Peyton Manning was named head coach despite the fact his own allegations carry more probability than Schiano's.

I love the article's "let's begin by explaining what we want you to believe is the reason for our toddler meltdown" followed by "ok let's assume everything I said was just made up BS, here's the real reason we soiled our diapers."

Last edited:

herb

Helluva Engineer
LMAO give me a break with this moral high ground BS. This is the same fan base that is consistently throwing a fit their AD isn't the guy with the most infamous made up trophy in all of college football named after. The same fan base that would go goo goo if Peyton Manning was named head coach despite the fact his own allegations carry more probability than Schiano's.

I said I wouldn't want him. I don't want anyone with that taint on them. Perhaps some are fine with it, obviously you are and that's cool, but I am not.