2017 ACC Baseball

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I hope UVa wins the ACC tourney. Certainly a much better institution than either L'Ville or UNC who are academic whores.
I would also be ok with Wake Forest or Florida State winning the tourney. I know that Florida State isn't an academic institute (by any stretch of the imagination), but I really like Mike Martin and the way he runs that program.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Getting away from Ga Tech for a post. Some ACC goings-on:
- Louisville is scary good. In conference play... they have won 8 in a row. 11-1 in their last 12 which includes 2 road sweeps in the last 2 series (at ND and at Clemson).
- Clemson has dropped 7 in a row. Granted their last 2 series were against the best in the conference: at UNC and home v Louisville.
- Wake has to be the surprise of the season. Currently, 3rd overall...and they host Pitt this weekend.
- NCST...after being swept at BC (huh??) have won 6 straight. Sweeps at home v VT and at Pitt.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Getting away from Ga Tech for a post. Some ACC goings-on:
- Louisville is scary good. In conference play... they have won 8 in a row. 11-1 in their last 12 which includes 2 road sweeps in the last 2 series (at ND and at Clemson).
- Clemson has dropped 7 in a row. Granted their last 2 series were against the best in the conference: at UNC and home v Louisville.
- Wake has to be the surprise of the season. Currently, 3rd overall...and they host Pitt this weekend.
- NCST...after being swept at BC (huh??) have won 6 straight. Sweeps at home v VT and at Pitt.

An interesting ACC stat:

LOLvl got Sluggers

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
He should be but we have a lot of fans that make 1000 excuses for him. Guess it is what it is.

Well, Stansbury did already fire the softball coach. The truth is, none of us are real insiders so we are just guessing like anyone else.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, Stansbury did already fire the softball coach. The truth is, none of us are real insiders so we are just guessing like anyone else.

True. And there are better ways to "fire" people than showboating it like Trump with Comey ...... allowing them to submit their resignation or providing cover for a graceful way out.

I would hope that it is Hall's decision when he does go or at least appears to be Hall's decision.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Last week's projections had 6 ACC teams in the FIELD of 64:
Louisville (nat'l seed)
UNC (nat'l seed)
Clemson (nat'l seed)
WF (reg host)
UVA (reg host)
FSU

This week a few changes and the addition of NC State to the field...bring the number to 7. It looks likes this now:
Louisville (nat'l seed)
UNC (nat'l seed)
Clemson (reg host)
WF (reg host)
UVA (reg host)
FSU
NC State

An intriguing series this coming weekend is Clemson at NC State. This series has huge implications. Clemson (currently projected as a regional host) fell from national seed status after getting swept by Louisville this past weekend suffering their 7th straight loss in the conference. NC State is listed as a "last 4 in" team right now. NCST is poised to make a move (with 2 ACC sweeps in a row...VT and at Pitt). With a good weekend against Clemson and a decent showing the ACC Tournament, they could solidify their place.

Another "last 4 in" team is FSU. The Noles travel to Louisville. Even a single win against Louisville would help Mike Martin's group a lot.

Not ACC.... but interesting the defending champs (Coastal Carolina) are not in this projected field... listed as "1st 4 out"

http://www.baseballamerica.com/coll...ncaa-baseball-tournament/#L4yhvRGPGV0fBPHz.97

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully, my disclaimer regarding clinching scenarios keeps me safe from any "serious" ridicule (not so serious ridicule is deserved...and quality stuff is encouraged). I won't go into all of it again.. but I already see holes in my work. :inpain:

So... as ND @ BC is about to get going, I should say a single ND win (no BC sweep) today...maybe(?) will NOT mean we clinch. I think it will mean we are guaranteed to finish ahead of BC in the standings AND the likelihood we make the ACC tournament is increased from "pretty good" to "very good" ...to keep things in ambiguous terms.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If the seeding were today, I would think L'Ville is #1 and UNC #2. Then the rest by conference winning percentage. Today we are 11th in the ACC (tied with #10 ND who SWEPT us). So we'd get UNC. Wiki has this up which makes it clear ...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Atlantic_Coast_Conference_Baseball_Tournament

Anyway, the reason I was looking at this was trying to guess how many more games we win this year assuming we play 3 in the ACC tourney. I think 1 to 2 games. In no game of the next 6 will we be a favorite but we are likely to pick up at most one against UVa and at most one in the ACC tourney.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the seeding were today, I would think L'Ville is #1 and UNC #2. Then the rest by conference winning percentage. Today we are 11th in the ACC (tied with #10 ND who SWEPT us). So we'd get UNC. Wiki has this up which makes it clear ...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Atlantic_Coast_Conference_Baseball_Tournament

Anyway, the reason I was looking at this was trying to guess how many more games we win this year assuming we play 3 in the ACC tourney. I think 1 to 2 games. In no game of the next 6 will we be a favorite but we are likely to pick up at most one against UVa and at most one in the ACC tourney.
We will only play 2 in the ACC tournament unless we win both of those.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

You have it right as of now.

BC won their game today against ND. IF we manage that single win over UVA & BC wins the next 2... a sweep of ND, then Ga Tech up to 10th is quite likely.