2017-18 Starting lineup/rotation

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I was playing all those years ago my coach listed me at 6'5", 175. I was close to the 175 but not the 6'5" in the program. I am not sure why he did that, but what he said was that I played bigger. "Most 6'3" guys cannot dunk with two hands!" This was during the white guys can't jump days.

I am sure CJP has a reason, or he is simply listing people in the roster with whatever height and weight they tell him. The whole thing is actually pretty insignificant.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
There's been discussion is various threads about projected lineups and contributions, but this seems like a logical place for this.

In a regulation game, there are 200 minutes to distribute. No one player can take up more than 20% of this, which would mean playing the full 40 minutes. I went back and compiled the minutes distribution for Coach Pastner's teams at Memphis and GT. I limited it to conference games, and there is no adjustment or notes for injuries or other factors which might affect the overall playing time. The results are as shown below:

minutes1.png

This seems consistent with his stated philosophy of having a limited rotation, though there have been years where at least 10 players averaged 7 minutes per game. What's the threshold for being a "significant" contributor?

So what will this year look like? Lammers was in the #1 position past year, but hopefully that will go down a little. Okogie was #3 at 16.4%. Jax was #5, and Moore was #6.

There are 11 eligible scholarship players this year, and a lot of unknowns.

I think that Lammers/Okogie/Jackson should be the top three spots this year, in some order. Moore and Alvarado should share 20%, maybe more if they end up playing together at times. Beyond that, I have no clue, but it's going to be fun to watch and see who steps up, and how many players end up contributing.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That dynamic is one of the things I have been thinking of. Managing minutes is going to be a much bigger issue going forward as we have been aggressive trying to use every scholarship we have. Most teams operate on a seven maybe 8 man rotation and Pastner's history shows that as well. We have a lot of unknowns this year and I guess that means we will be trying a lot of different lineups/players - but I still expect by the beginning or middle of the ACC season we are back to a 7/8 man rotation. CJP will have his work cut out for him to figure that out - and sell it internally.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Agree with @BeeRBee ....Top seem 5 pretty locked in (Lammers, Okogie, Tadric, Moore, Alvarado) Interesting to see who fills the other front court spots. AD, Ogbonda, Moses & Evan seem to be fighting for two spots. I assume CGB will be the fifth backcourt / wing, but could be one of the other newbies.

Can't wait for the season to start so we can see the kids on the court!

long7135

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree with @BeeRBee ....Top seem 5 pretty locked in (Lammers, Okogie, Tadric, Moore, Alvarado)

Lammers, Okogie, and Tadric are the only locks. The rest are still fighting for playing time. If anything, I think that Cole is will be the big winner here since there is a glaring vacuum at his position that is just asking for someone/anyone with a bit of game to fill.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lammers, Okogie, and Tadric are the only locks. The rest are still fighting for playing time. If anything, I think that Cole is will be the big winner here since there is a glaring vacuum at his position that is just asking for someone/anyone with a bit of game to fill.
Fighting for playing time, yes, but CBG and AD and Alvarado are going to get significant minutes this year or we are in the dumper. The real mystery as far as minutes goes is between Cole and Wright.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lammers and Okogie are the only 2 guaranteed starters to me.Probably 65-70 mpg between them.
I think Tadric will get starter min - 25-30 per game, but it won't surprise me if Pastner brings him off the bench.

i think Moore and Jose will split the PG min and could possibly see a few min together so those 2 combined are 40-45 mpg.

That leaves about 60-65 min for everyone else.
Ogbonda will back up Ben and could play a few min beside him if they shift Lammers to 4 in a big lineup. Word has been he is greatly improved.
4 spot will be the most interesting. I expect AD to start, at least early in the year. Rumor has been Wright has been ahead of Cole in early practices, so he may have the advantage there and we may not see Cole until next season.

I sort of think Alston may start at 2 early in the year, but not get starters min. Haywood i think will see his time increase as the year goes on. Those 2 are probably battling for the backup perimeter min after Okogie, Tad, Moore and Jose take 100 or so of the 120 perimeter min.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lammers and Okogie are the only 2 guaranteed starters to me.Probably 65-70 mpg between them.
I think Tadric will get starter min - 25-30 per game, but it won't surprise me if Pastner brings him off the bench.

i think Moore and Jose will split the PG min and could possibly see a few min together so those 2 combined are 40-45 mpg.

Ogbonda will back up Ben and could play a few min beside him if they shift Lammers to 4 in a big lineup. Word has been he is greatly improved.
4 spot will be the most interesting. I expect AD to start, at least early in the year. Rumor has been Wright has been ahead of Cole in early practices, so he may have the advantage there and we may not see Cole until next season.

I sort of think Alston may start at 2 early in the year, but not get starters min. Haywood i think will see his time increase as the year goes on. Those 2 are probably battling for the backup perimeter min after Okogie, Tad, Moore and Jose take 100 or so of the 120 perimeter min.
I agree. Several on this board have commented about Wright being ahead of schedule, so that will be very interesting to see. If he is this year's JO, the 4 spot could be his. To have an NCAA team this year we need Alvarado, CGB, and either Cole or Wright or AD to be good enough to play a lot of ACC minutes without setting us back. If JO has to play a lot of minutes at the 4 we will have a tough time against some of our ACC opponents.

I am skeptical Moore will improve his shooting enough to play starter minutes unless Alvarado has difficulty adjusting to ACC level play. But we really do not have much choice but to stick with them and hope for the best.

With so many new faces, we need to be patient with this team. There could be some ugly moments early.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I thought the same about Alston and a guy on twitter gave me endless amount of **** about it saying Jax was a lot better than Alston.

Well, he was better than Corey as well was my reply.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

The only thing I would add/pick at is that for the 4 spot we can also choose to go small and play 4 wings/PG with Lammers. I actually expect we will do that to get our best players on the court. That will change the minute distributions as the 4 spot can be included with the wings. Also takes pressure off of the young options at the 4 to come in at ACC level.

long7135

Georgia Tech Fan
The real mystery as far as minutes goes is between Cole and Wright.
Going on hearsay I think Cole is going to be hard pressed for minutes early
Rumor has been Wright has been ahead of Cole in early practices, so he may have the advantage there and we may not see Cole until next season..

I can't go by hearsay. I can only go by what I read and see on the the internet. Here's what I know about Cole and Wright:
1. Cole played in division 6A against a bunch of 4-5 star players (you know who they are and we recruited many of them). Wright played in division 2A. They posted similar numbers, the difference is that Cole did it while being constantly double teamed.
2. Cole was the MVP of the Georgia All-Star game. Wright didn't even make his city's all-star team.
3. Cole was recruited by a bunch of high major schools (NC state, Vandy, Clemson). Wright's other offer (besides GT) was Catawba.
4. Cole has lost weight since arriving on campus. Wright gained weight. Yet, Cole is still taller and heavier than Wright.
5. Cole played basketball since he started walking. Wright didn't start until he was 15 years old.
6. Cole played for the Atlanta All-Stars, an AAU travel team that plays nationally. Wright played for the Garner Road basketball club, a team that plays locally around Raleigh.
6. Cole's dad played basketball for Georgia State. No data on Wright's dad.

But forget about all that. All you need to do is watch their Youtube videos to understand why I feel that Cole is the better prospect. I hope that I am wrong here. I hope that both players are ACC quality players from the onset because we need as much help at the 4 spot as we can get. I hope both players get a bunch of minutes because I don't have any confidence in Gueye's game.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I can't go by hearsay. I can only go by what I read and see on the the internet. Here's what I know about Cole and Wright:
1. Cole played in division 6A against a bunch of 4-5 star players (you know who they are and we recruited many of them). Wright played in division 2A. They posted similar numbers, the difference is that Cole did it while being constantly double teamed.
2. Cole was the MVP of the Georgia All-Star game. Wright didn't even make his city's all-star team.
3. Cole was recruited by a bunch of high major schools (NC state, Vandy, Clemson). Wright's other offer (besides GT) was Catawba.
4. Cole has lost weight since arriving on campus. Wright gained weight. Yet, Cole is still taller and heavier than Wright.
5. Cole played basketball since he started walking. Wright didn't start until he was 15 years old.
6. Cole played for the Atlanta All-Stars, an AAU travel team that plays nationally. Wright played for the Garner Road basketball club, a team that plays locally around Raleigh.

But forget about all that. All you need to do is watch their Youtube videos to understand why I feel that Cole is the better prospect. I hope that I am wrong here. I hope that both players are ACC quality players from the onset because we need as much help at the 4 spot as we can get. I hope both players get a bunch of minutes because I don't have any confidence in Gueye's game.

I guess we can just forget that (I am 98%sure ) one of the coaches said Cole was struggling and basically learning to play the game all over again.

We’ll forget about all that too and just go by High School numbers. The news has been consistent from multiple sources. Wright is a find. The past is just that

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess we can just forget that (I am 98%sure ) one of the coaches said Cole was struggling and basically learning to play the game all over again.

We’ll forget about all that too and just go by High School numbers. The news has been consistent from multiple sources. Wright is a find. The past is just that

Someone will listen to me on this board one day.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Technodude?

ETA: I just looked up Cole & Wright's height & weight. You are definitely Technodude.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What's sticking out to me early is how much more flexibility we have with where our players can play. Save for a few guys, almost the entire roster of players can play 2-3 positions, and play with quality minutes.
Moses is the starter at the 4 right now. This is not my opinion, this is a fact that has been verified from the staff.

Dang. That's awesome. You could see his athleticism, and his ability to handle the ball and shoot at his size always got me excited about his long term prospects. I always thought playing at such a lower level of bball may have hurt his immediate impact ability, but looks like he's just a natural. GREAT to hear!

It may be Wright that's this year's "Josh Okogie"!

long7135

Georgia Tech Fan
Technodude?

ETA: I just looked up Cole & Wright's height & weight. You are definitely Technodude.
don't go by their listed heights. look at the many pictures of them standing side by side. cole is 1 jnch taller and looks a lot bigger.