2017-18 Starting lineup/rotation

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Not taking it as an arse - hope you aren't as well. I don't remember the exact place where redshirting was mentioned by the staff, I put it in the file and it fit with everything I know/have found out about him. FWIW beyond coaches I have a couple of kids I coached who played against him and they said the same thing. Lot of athletic talent - didn't know how to use it - and didn't have the impact he should have. Hung out on the perimeter and could have dominated.

Remember, he only played one year of AAAA basketball. The rest was small private school league. And he wasn't an AAU fixture. There is a lot he has to learn (and unlearn) about the game - as well as get his body stronger to play against ACC talent.

Again, everyone I talked to said he had ACC level athleticism so don't take this as a debbie downer thing - Just that he needed a year to learn and build his body before he could jump other players in the rotation. If he has made that jump faster then all power to him. I had him as someone who would start or be a major rotation player by his JR year.

I didn’t take it that way. I just wanted to make sure that anyone reading my post knew that I wasn’t trying to be an arse.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Last paragraph:
When Moses arrives at Tech, he’ll be counted on to fill the void left by graduating players. “Coach Pastner said I would be needed at the stretch forward position. I’m excited that he feels I can step in and help the team.”​
No RS year then?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
It seems like before they could get him on campus and working out they thought Wright was a redshirt. Now that he is here and with the team, they believe he might be ready. Which is good to hear, as my #BoldPrediction earlier this year was that he makes the NBA....talk about expectations lol.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It seems like before they could get him on campus and working out they thought Wright was a redshirt. Now that he is here and with the team, they believe he might be ready. Which is good to hear, as my #BoldPrediction earlier this year was that he makes the NBA....talk about expectations lol.

Fwiw, my quote was from 3 days after commit, iirc.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
How about this starting line up:

Double post of Lammers and Ogbondo. (High/low)
Small Forward Okogie
Shooting guard Jackson
Point guard Moore or Alvarodo

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How about this starting line up:

Double post of Lammers and Ogbondo. (High/low)
Small Forward Okogie
Shooting guard Jackson
Point guard Moore or Alvarodo

Interesting thought but I think the double post is runs pretty contrary to how the team is built on the offensive end. We want more room for cutters and Jackson/Okogie to drive (as well as Moore and Alvarado now that I think about it), and having a second true post would make that difficult. In theory it would be nice to be able to have a second big to take advantage of Lammers' vision and passing ability, especially if he could improve his shooting a bit more to force his defender out a step further, but I think ultimately our back court doesn't shoot well enough nor is Ogbonda shown enough on the offensive end to justify it. I'd be all for it if we had say Lawal as the other post that would have the talent for it to make sense to focus on the post, or wings like Elder and Lewis who could still be very effective with a more clogged middle. But with a mostly unproven guy in Ogbonda, and a drive heavy back court, I don't see it being the best. That is made even more so by the fact that both Okogie and Jackson can be threats to post up as well. Defensively, I think barring situational matchups Gueye would be the better option to compliment Lammers.

I do think Ogbonda will be improved and allow for Lammers to rest a bit more which will be real nice.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting thought but I think the double post is runs pretty contrary to how the team is built on the offensive end. We want more room for cutters and Jackson/Okogie to drive (as well as Moore and Alvarado now that I think about it), and having a second true post would make that difficult. In theory it would be nice to be able to have a second big to take advantage of Lammers' vision and passing ability, especially if he could improve his shooting a bit more to force his defender out a step further, but I think ultimately our back court doesn't shoot well enough nor is Ogbonda shown enough on the offensive end to justify it. I'd be all for it if we had say Lawal as the other post that would have the talent for it to make sense to focus on the post, or wings like Elder and Lewis who could still be very effective with a more clogged middle. But with a mostly unproven guy in Ogbonda, and a drive heavy back court, I don't see it being the best. That is made even more so by the fact that both Okogie and Jackson can be threats to post up as well. Defensively, I think barring situational matchups Gueye would be the better option to compliment Lammers.

I do think Ogbonda will be improved and allow for Lammers to rest a bit more which will be real nice.

You are right. The double post limits Lammwers from using all his abilities. I was thinking bigger but do see your points on faster with more flexibility.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure if everyone here listened to the Pastner audio from last week, but he mentioned that Vester had been the most improved player in summer workouts.

He even indicated that he had played better than Ben this summer. A big jump from him would be welcomed. Allowing Ben more rest would make him a lot more productive.

Personally, I think that we will see a lot more production from the bigs off the bench this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if everyone here listened to the Pastner audio from last week, but he mentioned that Vester had been the most improved player in summer workouts.

He even indicated that he had played better than Ben this summer. A big jump from him would be welcomed.

Called it! Glad to be correct for once

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, here is the latest roster with height/weights.

0 Justin Moore Guard 6-4 162 SO 1 letter San Diego, Calif./Mission Bay HS Business Administration
1 Tadric Jackson Guard 6-2 203 SR 3 letters Tifton, Ga./Tift County HS Business Administration
2 Shembari Phillips Guard 6-3 202 JR TR Atlanta, Ga./Wheeler HS/Tucker HS/Tennessee History, Science and Technology
3 Evan Cole Forward 6-9 211 FR HS Cumming, Ga./South Forsyth HS Business Administration
4 Brandon Alston Guard 6-5 200 JR TR Vienna, Va./Herndon HS/Lehigh Economics
5 Josh Okogie Guard 6-4 213 SO 1 letter Snellville, Ga./Shiloh HS Business Administration
10 Jose Alvarado Guard 6-0 174 FR HS Brooklyn, N.Y./Christ the King HS Literature, Media and Communications
11 Evan Jester Forward 6-6 180 FR HS Riverdale, Ga./Sandy Creek HS Business Administration
12 Moses Wright Forward 6-9 210 FR HS Raleigh, N.C./William G. Enloe HS Business Administration
13 Curtis Haywood II Guard 6-5 198 FR HS Oklahoma City, Okla./Mustang HS/Brewster Academy, N.H. Business Administration
23 Jon Brown Guard 6-5 172 FR HS Miami, Fla./Sports Leadership and Management Academy Business Administration
24 Sylvester Ogbonda Forward 6-10 239 RS SO 1 letter Port Harcourt, Nigeria/National Christian Academy (Fort Washington, Md.) Business Administration
32 Avi Schafer Center 6-8 231 FR HS Osaka, Japan/Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, N.H.) Business Administration
34 Abdoulaye Gueye Forward 6-9 214 RS JR 2 letters Dakar, Senegal/Central Park Christian (Birmingham, Ala.) Business Administration
44 Ben Lammers Center 6-10 234 SR 3 letters San Antonio, Texas/Alamo Heights HS Mechanical Engineering
55 Malachi Rice Guard 6-0 180 FR HS Indianapolis, Ind./Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School Economics
spacer.gif

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow

0 Justin Moore Guard 6-4 162 SO 1 letter San Diego, Calif./Mission Bay HS Business Administration
1 Tadric Jackson Guard 6-2 203 SR 3 letters Tifton, Ga./Tift County HS Business Administration
2 Shembari Phillips Guard 6-3 202 JR TR Atlanta, Ga./Wheeler HS/Tucker HS/Tennessee History, Science and Technology
3 Evan Cole Forward 6-9 211 FR HS Cumming, Ga./South Forsyth HS Business Administration
5 Josh Okogie Guard 6-4 213 SO 1 letter Snellville, Ga./Shiloh HS Business Administration
10 Jose Alvarado Guard 6-0 174 FR HS Brooklyn, N.Y./Christ the King HS Literature, Media and Communications
11 Evan Jester Forward 6-6 180 FR HS Riverdale, Ga./Sandy Creek HS Business Administration
12 Moses Wright Forward 6-9 210 FR HS Raleigh, N.C./William G. Enloe HS Business Administration
13 Curtis Haywood II Guard 6-5 198 FR HS Oklahoma City, Okla./Mustang HS/Brewster Academy, N.H. Business Administration
23 Jon Brown Guard 6-5 172 FR HS Miami, Fla./Sports Leadership and Management Academy Business Administration
24 Sylvester Ogbonda Forward 6-10 239 RS SO 1 letter Port Harcourt, Nigeria/National Christian Academy (Fort Washington, Md.) Business Administration
32 Avi Schafer Center 6-8 231 FR HS Osaka, Japan/Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, N.H.) Business Administration
34 Abdoulaye Gueye Forward 6-9 214 RS JR 2 letters Dakar, Senegal/Central Park Christian (Birmingham, Ala.) Business Administration
44 Ben Lammers Center 6-10 234 SR 3 letters San Antonio, Texas/Alamo Heights HS Mechanical Engineering
55 Malachi Rice Guard 6-0 180 FR HS Indianapolis, Ind./Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School Economics
spacer.gif

Showing my novice BB status, but who here is AD?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting that Avi is shorter than earlier advertised. I wonder if these height are with or without shoes. Any idea?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Avi's height does not surprise me. If you looked at his bio on the Japanese National site and converted the centimeters to inches you get 6'8.

usually basketball measurements are with shoes.

Jon Brown also comes in somewhat smaller than his reported size from HS - 6'5, 172.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

spacer.gif
Weight comparison from last year’s listings:

Moore 162 —> 162
Jackson 209 —> 203
Okogie 207 —> 213
Ogbonda 231 —> 239
Gueye 212 —> 214
Lammers 227 —> 234

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are starting to hear some good things from the early team practices. I am especially heartened to hear Ves and Moore have improved. We need them both to be capable ACC level players. That were not last year hurt us at times.