2017-18 Starting lineup/rotation

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I know it's early but since it's the offseason I was curious what everyone expects the lineup to look like this year. My picks

Starters:
Alvarado, Tadric, Okogie, AD, Lammers
Sixth man:
CGB
In the rotation:
Moore, Alston, Cole

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
PG - Moore, Alvarado.
SG - Jackson, Heywood.
SF - Okogie, Heywood.
PF - Gueye, Wright/Cole.
C - Lammers, Ogbonda.

Is my guess. Alvarado could take over the starting spot, but I worry a bit about how his style translates to college ball as a freshman. Once ACC play rolls around I think we'll see mostly the three man rotation on the wings. I just don't see Alston contributing much. PF is the most interesting spot imo. I think it's very likely that we restructure our offense away from the PF spot, and trat it kind of how we did Heyward last year on the wing. Defense and rebound, and scoring is bonus. I don't think either wright or Cole are anywhere near ready to start, and ideally I think both would get at least a year before asked to contribute at all but we don't have that luxury. IMO who plays really comes down to who shows they can defend and rebound better at the moment.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I fully expect Wright to redshirt.

Josh and Lammers are the only givens as starters.

I think we start the year with Gueye at PF. Cole may move into the starting linup as the year progresses and depending on the matchups.

I don't know why but I think Alvarado will start at PG. Could be way wrong on that one.

Similarly I think Tadric will start at the 2 but again it could be Haywood. I expect him to get a lot of minutes regardless.

Cole is the wildcard IMHO. If he can play at an ACC level we can play a relatively large lineup consistently.
We can also go small - and expect we will - with Okogie at the 4 and Tadric, Haywood and Alvarado/Moore.

Like last year though, the key to our season will be whether Lammers can continue to clean up all the defensive mistakes and switches. That will allow freshmen to play more and hopefully take advantage of their offensive skills. What Lammers did last year was unbelievable.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I suspect it will change as the season goes on.

My gut right now for game 1 is
Moore (though Alvarado wouldn't surprise me)
Alston (though watch out for Haywood)
Okogie
AD
Lammers

Sixth man is Tadric and he will play alot more than Alston will.

As the season progresses I am thinking
Alvarado
Haywood
Okogie
AD
Lammers

With Jackson and Cole the likely first 2 off the bench.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
My only concern is starting too many freshmen. Alvarado seems the most likely frosh to break into the lineup early on.

While we see Jackson coming off the bench in his similar role this past season, as a senior he may develop consistency to a point that he starts. Also, Haywood may play the "points off the bench" role that we need. I see Alston playing a lot when we go to the small lineup option.

I agree that if Cole develops early we will be a much better team come ACC time. AD will give us good defense, but I'm not expecting much on his offensive side.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I disagree to a point. We need all the players capable of helping us win and Moses is #5 in a big man rotation.

I have talked to 3 HS coaches who played against him. To a man they said he would redshirt in the ACC. Had incredible ceiling with his athleticism but not anywhere near ready to play.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree to a point. We need all the players capable of helping us win and Moses is #5 in a big man rotation.

I can respect your disagreement but my info is coming from my source who gets the info from the coaches. The staff feels that he does not need to be redshirted no matter what we fans think. I also understand your disagreement but I’m not sure if the staff views him as the 5th big man.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can respect your disagreement but my info is coming from my source who gets the info from the coaches. The staff feels that he does not need to be redshirted no matter what we fans think. I also understand your disagreement but I’m not sure if the staff views him as the 5th big man.

You may be right - but I would point out a couple of things. First the staff was talking about redshirting him when they recruited him. that would be a change in their view of him from when they recruited him. He may have come in and blown them away - who knows - I don't.

Second, Pastner did not show a tendency to playing a long bench. He pretty much found 7 and rode them hard. Maybe that will change going forward but right now Wright would be behind AD and realistically Cole at the 4. Plus Okogie when we go small. Pastner has not shown he will go that deep on anything but rare occasions. If he can beat out Cole then he is a lot better than advertised at this stage.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
You may be right - but I would point out a couple of things. First the staff was talking about redshirting him when they recruited him. that would be a change in their view of him from when they recruited him. He may have come in and blown them away - who knows - I don't.

Second, Pastner did not show a tendency to playing a long bench. He pretty much found 7 and rode them hard. Maybe that will change going forward but right now Wright would be behind AD and realistically Cole at the 4. Plus Okogie when we go small. Pastner has not shown he will go that deep on anything but rare occasions. If he can beat out Cole then he is a lot better than advertised at this stage.

Not trying to be an *** but did the staff actually mention Wright in talks of redshirting or is this based on the CJP video where he mentioned redshirting?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I assumed as much given your history on the board. It's just surprising is all. If he is ready and can contribute I'm all for it

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Maybe that will change going forward but right now Wright would be behind AD and realistically Cole at the 4.

Why is he realistically behind Cole right now? I really fail to understand where people are getting the opinion that Cole is so much further along than Wright. The two are similar recruits who would both benefit from a redshirt year but we don't have that luxury. Likely as not both will play early and the one who adapts quicker will be the primary back up, although it really wouldn't surprise me if we went with a 3 man rotation of Lammers, Gueye, and Ogbonda, if neither are ready to contribute this year.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I assumed as much given your history on the board. It's just surprising is all. If he is ready and can contribute I'm all for it

I’m excited to see how he fits in. The staff feels he can help now. Between individual workouts and conditioning, I feel they will have him ready. Now, that’s not saying that he will start but he will play.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be an *** but did the staff actually mention Wright in talks of redshirting or is this based on the CJP video where he mentioned redshirting?

Not taking it as an arse - hope you aren't as well. I don't remember the exact place where redshirting was mentioned by the staff, I put it in the file and it fit with everything I know/have found out about him. FWIW beyond coaches I have a couple of kids I coached who played against him and they said the same thing. Lot of athletic talent - didn't know how to use it - and didn't have the impact he should have. Hung out on the perimeter and could have dominated.

Remember, he only played one year of AAAA basketball. The rest was small private school league. And he wasn't an AAU fixture. There is a lot he has to learn (and unlearn) about the game - as well as get his body stronger to play against ACC talent.

Again, everyone I talked to said he had ACC level athleticism so don't take this as a debbie downer thing - Just that he needed a year to learn and build his body before he could jump other players in the rotation. If he has made that jump faster then all power to him. I had him as someone who would start or be a major rotation player by his JR year.