2015 Warmest Year on Record

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Problems get solved when someone can make a lot of money actually solving it. Right now we have a lot of scientists and politicians making a lot of money talking about how we must change how we live, redistribute wealth, and give up our freedom. I'm more interested in the scientists working to actually engineer solutions to be more efficient: actually do more physically with less waste, not social engineer.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Problems get solved when someone can make a lot of money actually solving it. Right now we have a lot of scientists and politicians making a lot of money talking about how we must change how we live, redistribute wealth, and give up our freedom. I'm more interested in the scientists working to actually engineer solutions to be more efficient: actually do more physically with less waste, not social engineer.
Exactly.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Good article. I highly recommend Ken Burns docuseries about the Dust Bowl. It mentioned the brutal temperatures in the 1930s across the country which contributed to the Dust Bowl. The series also reminded me of the Ogallala aquifer that’s slowly running dry. Irrigating with it helped end the Dust Bowl but when it runs dry, and one day it will, I believe the results will be catastrophic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
I really think that many of the electric car folk think these cars are being charged by wind mills and solar panels.

Actually, the energy in the electric grid is more efficiently produced than the energy produced by a car's internal combustion engine. Even if the energy were produced by fossil fuels, it would be more efficient to use an electric car than a gas car.

Animal02

Banned
Actually, the energy in the electric grid is more efficiently produced than the energy produced by a car's internal combustion engine. Even if the energy were produced by fossil fuels, it would be more efficient to use an electric car than a gas car.
Have you factored in transmission loss, storage costs, replacement and disposal cost of storage, etc etc. It is not a static comparison. Electric motors have great potential and many advantages.....the reason trains are "diesel electrics" Storage is where the inefficiency is IIRC.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Have you considered the environmental impact of mining rare earth metals to make the electric car batteries. Or the eventual disposal of them? The manufacture of them and eventual disposal of them is not environmentally friendly yet.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Have you considered the environmental impact of mining rare earth metals to make the electric car batteries. Or the eventual disposal of them? The manufacture of them and eventual disposal of them is not environmentally friendly yet.

True, I wonder if there's any studies on whether gas or electric are better over the entire lifetime of the car. I can look for some soon (I've been pretty busy these days though, so expect reply out of the blue sometime lol)

Have you factored in transmission loss, storage costs, replacement and disposal cost of storage, etc etc. It is not a static comparison. Electric motors have great potential and many advantages.....the reason trains are "diesel electrics" Storage is where the inefficiency is IIRC.

There's similar costs to transporting and storing the gasoline across the entire country. Probably more expensive since they drive trucks full of gas everywhere as opposed to wires that were already laid down. But agreed that batteries could be better. Hopefully they'll keep improving

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
True, I wonder if there's any studies on whether gas or electric are better over the entire lifetime of the car. I can look for some soon (I've been pretty busy these days though, so expect reply out of the blue sometime lol)

There's similar costs to transporting and storing the gasoline across the entire country. Probably more expensive since they drive trucks full of gas everywhere as opposed to wires that were already laid down. But agreed that batteries could be better. Hopefully they'll keep improving

They still hold a ton of potential. Technology is always advancing and hopefully will garner more efficiency and less impact on the environment.

Deleted member 2897

The UNs IPCC just released an alarming report about the overuse of our land and resources. They said our land is being used up at 10 to 100 times the rate at which it’s being replenished.

Well...

10 to 100 times? They aren’t sure within a factor of 10x? That means they don’t know.