2015 Warmest Year on Record

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure someone has shown you all this before? https://xkcd.com/1732/

Nope, haven’t seen that. Assuming everything on it is true, I would say that the most important part of that cartoon is in the title, “since the last ice age glaciation”. Most of what I’ve read indicates we’ve had at least five ice ages, which means we’ve had five periods without ice. I suppose this departure from the most recent ice age could be different than the others and we could just burn to a crisp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
So you're saying the sudden change that just happened to correspond with the industrial revolution is a coincidence?

Also yeah I'm sure the earth had a bunch of ice ages and survived and life will continue on earth for a long time after we're gone. But I'm worried that we(humans) won't be able to survive this temparature change.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Like if I showed you that same graph but didn't label it climate change, you'd say something happened at the end and it went way off course.

Try this one too ---
dorset-dipper-climate-change-last-ice-age-present-day.jpg

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So you're saying the sudden change that just happened to correspond with the industrial revolution is a coincidence?

Also yeah I'm sure the earth had a bunch of ice ages and survived and life will continue on earth for a long time after we're gone. But I'm worried that we(humans) won't be able to survive this temparature change.

I don’t know how old you are but I was a kid when scientists were talking constantly about worldwide acid rain. I remember reading that if things continued at the current rate, rainwater would have the same pH as sulfuric acid. I want to say the date they thought this would happen has already come and gone. Based on the fact that I don’t see people wearing rubber suits whenever it rains, it looks like they were wrong. A majority of the predictions and prognostications have been questionable at best. Ever hear of global cooling? Yes, that was also a scientific prediction in the late 70s.

I may be wrong. It’s okay...it’s not the first time. I feel like we could have problems that rival the alarmist vision of global warming on the near horizon. Superbugs and water-related issues are a concern of mine. When the Ogallala aquifer runs dry or becomes polluted, the US will have major problems.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t know how old you are but I was a kid when scientists were talking constantly about worldwide acid rain. I remember reading that if things continued at the current rate, rainwater would have the same pH as sulfuric acid. I want to say the date they thought this would happen has already come and gone. Based on the fact that I don’t see people wearing rubber suits whenever it rains, it looks like they were wrong. A majority of the predictions and prognostications have been questionable at best. Ever hear of global cooling? Yes, that was also a scientific prediction in the late 70s.

I may be wrong. It’s okay...it’s not the first time. I feel like we could have problems that rival the alarmist vision of global warming on the near horizon. Superbugs and water-related issues are a concern of mine. When the Ogallala aquifer runs dry or becomes polluted, the US will have major problems.

Yet another example of the green movement screwing up nature. Biofuels and the subsidies to produce them increase the demand for corn needlessly. We do not need biofuels.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Like if I showed you that same graph but didn't label it climate change, you'd say something happened at the end and it went way off course.

At the very least, I’d ask about the confidence interval...a very important piece of info noticeably missing from the prediction.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Yet another example of the green movement screwing up nature. Biofuels and the subsidies to produce them increase the demand for corn needlessly. We do not need biofuels.

Unless something has changed, it takes more energy to create ethanol than it produces. Think about how stupid that sounds. It’s a net loser according to my environmental geology prof. I think he also said that fossil fuels are used in the production of ethanol. So is the widespread use of ethanol an effort to break our dependence on foreign oil or just some powerful corn lobbyists?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You probably know that a whale fossil was found where Plant Vogtle stands today. That’s a long way from the current ocean borders. It seems to me that South Georgia and Florida were completely under water once before. I guess my point is that I do believe in climate change...it has always been changing.

The a Great Barrier Reef has survived ocean level changes of as much as 300 feet as ice ages came and went. That is dramatically more than most people realize. Climate change has always happened.

There are really only two questions:
(1) is it accelerating dangerously now compared to the past? A 300 foot ocean level change over 1,000 years is one thing, but the same change over 100 years is something else. Personally I believe the jury is still out on that one.
(2) Even if we were doing damage (and we may in fact simply be saving ourselves from the next Ice Age, who knows?), it is clear we don’t know how to manage it any better

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow

Here's the data showing the reduced SO2 and NO2 in the atmosphere - https://www.epa.gov/air-emissions-inventories/air-pollutant-emissions-trends-data

It's still a problem, it's just not as big and not in the news cycle as much as straws are right now (which I hold to be a case of misdirected activism)

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys are real delusional if you think basically all scientists are wrong and that humans aren't making the planet harder to live in. I wish I had the peace of mind about this that you do

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You guys are real delusional if you think basically all scientists are wrong and that humans aren't making the planet harder to live in. I wish I had the peace of mind about this that you do

Humans are definitely making the planet harder to live in and we should all do our best to take care of the planet. Even without global warming, there is a tipping point where the world’s resources will not be able to sustain population growth. When will that be? Who knows? A large factor will be the efficiency of how humans use and take care of the finite resources.

Another failed prediction of global calamity that I remember is that we were supposed to be out of fossil fuels by now. No cars. No planes. No delivery trucks. Shriek!!! Of course, we found more fuels. More importantly we moved from carbureted engines to fuel injectors, effectively doubling the world’s fuel supply. Global crises averted.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
Humans are definitely making the planet harder to live in and we should all do our best to take care of the planet. Even without global warming, there is a tipping point where the world’s resources will not be able to sustain population growth. When will that be? Who knows? A large factor will be the efficiency of how humans use and take care of the finite resources.

Another failed prediction of global calamity that I remember is that we were supposed to be out of fossil fuels by now. No cars. No planes. No delivery trucks. Shriek!!! Of course, we found more fuels. More importantly we moved from carbureted engines to fuel injectors, effectively doubling the world’s fuel supply. Global crises averted.

Funny thing about humans......they are quite creative. Everytime we a presented with a problem, a solution or an alternative is developed or we move on. I have faith the same will hold true in the future.