2015 opponents players that have turned pro

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I disagree wholeheartedly with those who think Winston doesn't have the makeup to be a good NFL QB. I would place him at or near the front of the pack in the last several years worth of drafts, not just this one. That kid has an uncanny anticipation for throws. He sees guys moving into creases down field before it even happens and he throws accurately and with a ton of confidence. His pocket awareness is great and he moves well enough to give you fits. He uses his eyes and body language to fool defenders where he is going with the ball and he seems to do it effortlessly. Some QBS NEVER learn that skill at the college level. His arm strength may not be at the top of the class, but guys like Joe Montana never was either. He can make the throws required.

Having said all that, I wouldn't invest a dime in him. If he dropped to my team in the draft I wouldn't waste even half a second considering it. IMHO, you have to go for character first. There are enough good players who have it.

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
Winston will be a good pro.
*He anticipation where guys will be open and throws them open.
*He throws into windows well.
*He is mobile in the pocket but is not a runner.
*He goes through his progression and throws to his 2nd or 3rd reads, especially to a tight end which is heavily used in the pros.
*He is a gym rat who loves watching film
*He is big kid with size and above average arm.
*He is a very smart kids who does well in the classroom. A NFL playbook will not scare him.

Manziel has non of these qualities.

I get the many don't like his off the field stuff...but he is nothing like Manziel. What Manziel did/does potentially could have cost the Aggie sactions or the Browns games. Manziel is party animal that takes others down with him. Winston is not an idiot, he just has very bad self-awareness. Saying that, he never once put his school or teammates in a situation that could cause them to fortfeit games or have sanctions. Look bad...Yes. Winston is not a selfish guy just not a bright situational guys when it comes to his personal business. I have known alot of these types at Tech. Smart and great engineers, who were great friends and unselfish but totally bad when it came to self awareness in their personal life. Most grew up.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
let's leave Mariota out of the discussion. Winston seems to be another Manziel, Vince Young, or Micheal Vick.

Uhhh, one of these things is not like the other.

Vick's thrown for over 22,000 yards, 131 TDs, Rushed for 6,000 yds, 36 TDs, started 112 games over 12 seasons, and won 59 of them.

If that's your #1 pick, you had a pretty good draft.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Forget everything that Jameis has done off the field, he is a team first guy. With that said he does not have the arm talent to make it in the NFL.
Agree about him being a team guy. Jimbo has mentioned several times that their team is a tight group

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't think Vick ever made any trouble during his time at VT. And that was when half of his team spent every offseason in jail. When it comes to Winston, I'm not worried about his off field issues when it comes to him being a pro. Most the stuff gets blown out of proportion because the media always likes to have one player they can constantly trash in college. I personally just don't think he has the accuracy/arm strength combo to succeed in the NFL. Most QB's that aren't very accurate can make up for it with arm strength an vice versa. I agree he's a smart player and can anticipate routes and knows what to do but I also think the same of Teddy Bridgewater. The guy can read a defense and knows exactly where to throw the ball every play. He just isn't good enough to make the throws.

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry guys, just looked at my post. Wow, grammar... Not my strongest showing. No wonder I felt so at home at Tech.