2015 opponents players that have turned pro

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, when Winston is around his teammates, he's all about the team. He's not the least bit selfish when it comes to his teammates. No one has ever accused him of being lazy or not being dedicated to learning the play book. His work ethic has never been in question.

Off the field takes closer inspection. There was the rape allegations, where he was exonerated by the law AND found not to have done anything improper by the school's conduct board. Then there was the crab legs incident. Pure stupidity and theft isn't something to be taken lightly...no excuse there. The third offense was him jumping on the table in the cafeteria and repeating obscene phrases from a popular meme at the time. Given his stature on campus and in the sports world, he needs to be smarter than that. More youthful indiscretion than anything, but given he's "Jameis Winston", he needs to have better judgement.

All in all, given that the QB is the face of an NFL franchise, it would worry me that he doesn't understand his standing as a public figure and what goes with it. BUT, he's only 21 and maturity comes with time. I promise you he is starting to realize that he can't be the same Jameis around his friends in private when he is in the public. Here's the thing, his upside is so enormous that a franchise like Buffalo or Jacksonville or Tampa HAS TO take him. Best case scenario is you have a franchise QB for the next 8+ years. Worst case scenario is you have an average QB for the next 4 years and you let him go after his rookie contract expires. The thing you don't want to happen as a GM is Winston matures and becomes a great franchise QB for someone else because you let the 3 incidences above dissuade you from taking him. That's how GMs lose their jobs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I'd draft Winston in a New York minute. He has a good enough arm, he reads Ds quite well, he's shown that when he has even so-so talent around him he knows how to win (this is big in he pros since their games are usually so close and the talent so close to equal), and he's big and hard to bring down. Shoot, he can even run in a pinch. What's not to like?

Off field performance is less of a problem in the pros too, unless the authorities get involved. I don't doubt that Winston will have some difficulties along these lines, but I think his head is on his shoulders just tightly enough that it won't be overwhelming.

But we'll see soon enough.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I feel like once Winston gets in those one-of-a-kind NFL interviews and starts talking X's and O's with the teams, he will blow them away with his football IQ and may just convince them (maybe the Bucs) that his off-field past is just that- the past. What would the Bucs regret more? Taking a less NFL ready Mariota and have him flame out while Jameis reaches his ceiling and doesn't screw up off the field OR taking a less NFL ready Mariota and have him reach his ceiling (which I think almost everyone agrees is lower than Winston) and Jameis screws up off the field? I think the first one, but others may have different opinions.

If I'm the owner of the Bucs it'd be a risk taking Jameis #1 overall, but I don't think Mariota is a good enough prospect to say "look at Jameis' mistakes in college, let's take the less-talented of the two because the better guy is gonna keep screwing up." If Mariota was Luck, Newton, Ryan or Stafford that'd be one thing but I just don't think he's NFL ready enough to take with the #1 pick when there is another guy who is more ready. Every player has risks, I personally think that it's more likely that a 21 year old Jameis will start to make better off-field decisions in the next 2-3 years than a 21 year old Mariota learning and getting comfortable with all the things he needs to succeed in the NFL (accuracy, pocket presence, footwork, playing under center, learning a pro-style playbook) in the next 2-3 years. I'm trying to think of one college QB who played in a non-prostyle offense who has been really good in the NFL and I'm blanking (Cam maybe?). Mariota might be that guy, but I wouldn't be willing to make him my #1 pick- too many "on-field" questions.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Every player has risks, I personally think that it's more likely that a 21 year old Jameis will start to make better off-field decisions in the next 2-3 years than a 21 year old Mariota learning and getting comfortable with all the things he needs to succeed in the NFL (accuracy, pocket presence, footwork, playing under center, learning a pro-style playbook) in the next 2-3 years. I'm trying to think of one college QB who played in a non-prostyle offense who has been really good in the NFL and I'm blanking (Cam maybe?). Mariota might be that guy, but I wouldn't be willing to make him my #1 pick- too many "on-field" questions.

let's leave Mariota out of the discussion. Winston seems to be another Manziel, Vince Young, or Micheal Vick. I believe what you see is what you get. And betting on someone to "grow up" is a sucker's bet.Some of the stuff associated with Winston goes beyond your typical "I'm a 21 year college kid who sometimes does stupid stuff". Heck, most of us were stupid at that age and probably didn't realize it. But I also like to think if we were GT calibre students and were aware that we had a shot at playing in the league, we could have postponed stealing crab legs and things of that nature. Heck, I never even dreamed of playing in the league but I was able to refrain from shoplifting crustaceans and being involved in rape "allegations". Of course, the NFL is desperate for QB's and someone will take him. My bet is he will make a large sum of money ala Manziel and Vince Young and be gone in 2-4 years without making a splash. Other than wasting a high draft pick.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Why forget the off the the field crap? All that stuff puts FSU in a very bad light and is a distraction to his teammates. He never learned that when you are a part of something bigger than you, especially when you are the face of the organization, everything you do and say reflects on that organization. Maybe he just thinks he's bigger than FSU? His arguing on the sideline with his coach counts as on-the-field me first bull crap in my book.
Things get heated on the sideline during a game. How often has that happened? I would want my teammate to be upset instead of the Jay Culter response. If it happen every game then it might be a problem but it doesn't. Stealing the crab legs was just him being stupid and trying to see what he can get away with, the student center thing I think would not have been that big of an issues if it was another student. The issue with the girl I have seen happen many times in college. She was drunk and looking to land the BMOC. When she realized that she was getting kick to the curb and when his roommates ask they could hit't is when she came up with the rape. He was a good college QB he just doesn't have the arm to make it in the NFL.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's please not trash this girl's reputation anymore than it has already been. Unless you were in the room when these events occurred you have no idea what happened. This topic was covered ad nauseum on the blog months ago.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Things get heated on the sideline during a game. How often has that happened? I would want my teammate to be upset instead of the Jay Culter response. If it happen every game then it might be a problem but it doesn't. Stealing the crab legs was just him being stupid and trying to see what he can get away with, the student center thing I think would not have been that big of an issues if it was another student. The issue with the girl I have seen happen many times in college. She was drunk and looking to land the BMOC. When she realized that she was getting kick to the curb and when his roommates ask they could hit't is when she came up with the rape. He was a good college QB he just doesn't have the arm to make it in the NFL.
Geez Louise.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And betting on someone to "grow up" is a sucker's bet.Some of the stuff associated with Winston goes beyond your typical "I'm a 21 year college kid who sometimes does stupid stuff". Heck, most of us were stupid at that age and probably didn't realize it. But I also like to think if we were GT calibre students and were aware that we had a shot at playing in the league, we could have postponed stealing crab legs and things of that nature. Heck, I never even dreamed of playing in the league but I was able to refrain from shoplifting crustaceans and being involved in rape "allegations".

I guess Peyton Manning shouldn't have been drafted at all then:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/18/peyton-manning-1996-tennessee-lawsuit-trainer-bare-butt-mooning/

If that would have happened today, as the author points out, Peyton may have been in some SERIOUS trouble given how much sexual assault and any form assault against females has become public enemy #1 today.

Peyton's brother, Eli Manning QB of the NY Giants, was arrested for public intoxication at Ole Miss.

Not only were both of those two "destined" for the NFL, but they were both from football royalty being an NFL star's sons. They were famous before even getting to college. Of all people, those two would know better.

People do mature, and sometimes it takes getting called out in public to do it. Jameis Winston is actually a really smart guy...he graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA. He's just emotionally immature right now. I'm not saying he's going to be a model citizen once he gets to the NFL, but neither can anyone else know he won't mature.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I guess Peyton Manning shouldn't have been drafted at all then:
If that would have happened today, as the author points out, Peyton may have been in some SERIOUS trouble given how much sexual assault and any form assault against females has become public enemy #1 today.
Peyton's brother, Eli Manning QB of the NY Giants, was arrested for public intoxication at Ole Miss.

Not only were both of those two "destined" for the NFL, but they were both from football royalty being an NFL star's sons. They were famous before even getting to college. Of all people, those two would know better.

People do mature, and sometimes it takes getting called out in public to do it. Jameis Winston is actually a really smart guy...he graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA. He's just emotionally immature right now. I'm not saying he's going to be a model citizen once he gets to the NFL, but neither can anyone else know he won't mature.

as I said, most (not all) 21 year college kids can do stupid things. I did. However, with the Manning brothers, you point to one incident. IMO, the Manziels, Vicks, Winstons, etc. have a background littered with stupidity. There's a pattern there. as opposed to a "one off" type of thing.

Who knows...this kid may be the next Johhny Unitas or Joe Montana. I'm just saying I wouldn't waste a high 1st round draft on him. A 3rd round pick...I might take the risk. but that's me. I don't get paid to draft people for a living.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I dont think the Bucs or titans can afford not to draft Winston or Mariota. They have had terrible QB play for nearly a decade now, drafting highly touted lineman and defensive players can only take you so far. They can draft a Leonard Williams and still have a terrible record next year or take a chance on Winston and either be in the same boat or maybe make a run in their divisions.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I dont think the Bucs or titans can afford not to draft Winston or Mariota. They have had terrible QB play for nearly a decade now, drafting highly touted lineman and defensive players can only take you so far. They can draft a Leonard Williams and still have a terrible record next year or take a chance on Winston and either be in the same boat or maybe make a run in their divisions.

I live in Tennessee. I don't follow the Titans (or any NFL team) per se but am aware of the pulse of the fanbase. There are two things for certain - their QB play has been horrible since McNair left. And their draft record has been atrocious across the board and wrt QB's in particular (Jake Locker and before him, Vince Young). The FSU kid is 100% most definitely not wanted by the overwhelming majority of the (dwindling) fan base. If he is selected by the franchise, ol' Whisenhunt (who did not endear himself to the public here) and the GM (whomever he may be) may be tarred and feathered before summer camp even begins. I root for Whiz as a fellow GT alum so I hope this kid gets taken before the Titans get to pick.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Good chance Winston will be taken by TB as first pick and will be next years starter. He is already better than many of the NFL Qb's. Of course this is assuming he keeps his nose clean going forward. And I am not a Winston fan.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Enuf NFL Winston taLk already. As for FSU...they lost even more team talent last year. Really didn't expect them to go unbeaten this year.