2009 vs 2014, rushing comparison

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the concept but CPJ "claims" that he doesn't operate the offense that way. He says that he just grabs whoever the A-back is standing next to him and sends in the play. It is hard for me to believe that he does not give some thought to which personnel is in for a particular critical play call but on the other hand I suspect it would be too much to figure out on every single play. That would be too many variables for even CPJ to keep track of in his head.

I think it's both/and given his comments after yelling at Snoddy, who put you in only to hear, "you did"

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think it's both/and given his comments after yelling at Snoddy, who put you in only to hear, "you did"
I had forgotten that delightful story. Sometimes in the chaos of a game sideline funny things happen. Several years ago I read about a coach who in the heat of the game was substituting defensive players into the game for offensie players. When his assistant stopped it his response was something like, "Why'd you let me do that?"

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That is a funny story. I really have no idea how much thought CPJ puts into who is on the field at the time of a mainstream type of play call. I will say this much though, you can't listen to Johnson too closely when he talks in public about such things. He is always making things sound so basic when responding to questions, when clearly (after having watched a ton of film over the years and analyzing his adjustments in the flow of a game) he is scheming at a very high level. With him, it is anything but basic. He is just not going to carry on that way when speaking to the media or fans. Of this I am convinced: our coach knows how to read a defense and take input from specific sources upstairs in order to make lightning fast adjustments. CPJ is like the ultimate counter puncher in boxing. He will usually force the opposition to expose themselves a little bit before throwing his own fists.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
What year did we score on the first play of the game multiple times a season?

I felt that was a clear indicator of just how well CPJ had dissected the defense before the game even started.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That is a funny story. I really have no idea how much thought CPJ puts into who is on the field at the time of a mainstream type of play call. I will say this much though, you can't listen to Johnson too closely when he talks in public about such things. He is always making things sound so basic when responding to questions, when clearly (after having watched a ton of film over the years and analyzing his adjustments in the flow of a game) he is scheming at a very high level. With him, it is anything but basic. He is just not going to carry on that way when speaking to the media or fans. Of this I am convinced: our coach knows how to read a defense and take input from specific sources upstairs in order to make lightning fast adjustments. CPJ is like the ultimate counter puncher in boxing. He will usually force the opposition to expose themselves a little bit before throwing his own fists.
A related question if you would: do you know what his plays calls are? Because when that substitution hits the huddle, no time at all is spent before they break to the LOS. I remember doing it, and even now see college teams spending a lot of time calling the play,and then calling it a second time to make sure all understand. But Tech just goes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A related question if you would: do you know what his plays calls are? Because when that substitution hits the huddle, no time at all is spent before they break to the LOS. I remember doing it, and even now see college teams spending a lot of time calling the play,and then calling it a second time to make sure all understand. But Tech just goes.
Good observation. The other thing I notice is that the more CPJ trusts a quarterback, the more he allows him to audible at the line. I find myself wondering how extensive the audible options are. Is the QB simply allowed to change a run to a pass or vice-versa, or is he allowed to change blocking assignments, or just instruct who is picking up the blitz once he reads the defense, or how much is he allowed to do? I suspect that almost every play has a specific audible option depending on the defense.

One of the things that gets interesting as Tech gets deeper into the game is that the A-backs start to signal a lot to the rest of the team. It appears they are calling blocking assignments but I am not sure.

This is actually where it is kind of fun to not know a lot of details about the offense because sometimes the mystery of it is more fascinating. I know that to CPJ it is all pretty basic, which is why he can call it all from his head, but to us laypeople it is like some kind of Zen art.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No I don't. I have no idea about any of our terminology at all.