2009 vs 2014, rushing comparison

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The recent article on Laskey and Days, two obvious fan favorites yet neither a superstar, got me thinking of the old debate on the need for a "homerun threat" at Bback. Looking at the stats below, our offensive rushing production surpassed the year in which we had what many consider the ideal back for the marquee position.

I know an argument can be made for the impact of a much better OL in '14, but that is mitigated, imo, by the lack of defensive familiarity with the offense in '09. I think the impact of JT running the show cannot be overstated and that's even as compared to a pretty darn good qb in '09 in Josh Nesbitt.

That said, I think the stats below, which are total rushing yards by position, show that production and success in our offense can come in different forms. An '08 JD in last year's offense would have been devastating. Still, it's interesting and telling to see such a great degree of success in spite of the lack of a marquee guy at the the marquee runningback position.

RUSHING STAT COMPARISON 2009 VS 2014 (14 game schedule)

.................................................2009.................................................2114
Bback
.....................................1602...................................................1888
ABack.....................................1354...................................................1509
QB...........................................1128....................................................1290
other........................................52......................................................102

total
.......................................4136.....................................................4789
ypg...........................................295......................................................342
national rank........................2............................................................2

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
So this proves we needed to allot only half as many scholarships to Bback in 2009 as in 2014 in order to get similar production?

:playful: Just kidding.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So this proves we needed to allot only half as many scholarships to Bback in 2009 as in 2014 in order to get similar production?

:playful: Just kidding.
I know you're kidding, but last year's depth at the skill postions was quite remarkable and rare. We lucked out that we didn't need it at qb, but we were very fortunate for it at Bback. The huge depth at Aback was very valuable, as well. Those guys were always fresh. Imagine how that impacts blocking all game long.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
.................................................2009.................................................2114
Bback
.....................................1602...................................................1888
ABack.....................................1354...................................................1509
Is CPJ still the coach in 2114? I wouldn't mind it. We can just download his brain onto a robot-body, and let him continue forever.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I know you're kidding, but last year's depth at the skill postions was quite remarkable and rare. We lucked out that we didn't need it at qb, but we were very fortunate for it at Bback. The huge depth at Aback was very valuable, as well. Those guys were always fresh. Imagine how that impacts blocking all game long.

Remember the off season hand wringing over the A-backs? Who was going to replace Godhigh?

It turns out we had some guys who just needed a chance, and they took it.

Georgia's defense was dragging by the third quarter.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The triple option is thought to be a high risk offense, but the dive play is one of the safest. When it is working like it did late in the season, we are virtually unstoppable. Credit to the OL.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year was a special group. Once they got rolling in mid October, I'd take them over any offense we've had under PJ. Our passing game probably had something to do with our numbers this year as well. Even though we had Demaryius Thomas in 2009, give me JT, Smelter and Waller all day long. 2009 was about chuck and pray. We could actually complete a pass when we needed to in 2014.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember the off season hand wringing over the A-backs? Who was going to replace Godhigh?

It turns out we had some guys who just needed a chance, and they took it.

This happens every year. After 2011, how could we replace Roddy? After 2012, how could we replace Orwin? After 2013, there is no way we can replace Robbie, right?

2014 was different though. From 2008 to 2013, we had at least one guy we could always count on to make a huge play at AB. In 2014, it was all about the collective group. All six guys in the rotation we're committed to the system and it didn't matter who made the big play. All of them made a big play at some point but we didn't have a guy like Godhigh who would make 10 people miss and take it to the house. We did have people blocking on the perimeter, catching passes etc.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think the lesson here is that our offensive line was unbelievable last year. I wonder how much it had to do with having a second offensive line coach again.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This happens every year. After 2011, how could we replace Roddy? After 2012, how could we replace Orwin? After 2013, there is no way we can replace Robbie, right?

2014 was different though. From 2008 to 2013, we had at least one guy we could always count on to make a huge play at AB. In 2014, it was all about the collective group. All six guys in the rotation we're committed to the system and it didn't matter who made the big play. All of them made a big play at some point but we didn't have a guy like Godhigh who would make 10 people miss and take it to the house. We did have people blocking on the perimeter, catching passes etc.
What worries me is the common denominator: all the guys who studded out were sr's well versed in the system: Roddy, Orwin, Robbie, the collective 6.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
What worries me is the common denominator: all the guys who studded out were sr's well versed in the system: Roddy, Orwin, Robbie, the collective 6.
All those guys above (except the guys last year) starred for multiple seasons. Orwin and Robbie were the man at AB junior season as well, just without the pre-season acknowledgement, and we knew what Roddy could do since thanksgiving 08 (his curse was being the best blocker...he opened up huge runs for other guys). This year we have Snoddy and Andrews as the experienced returning backs and some talented young players ready to hit the field. I think we will be fine at the position as long as we can get everybody healthy.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Forgot Snoddy

Yes, I did. We have some good options at AB. I would be willing to go as far as saying that the guys we have this year are more athletic and better with the ball in their hands. The only unknown is will they be as committed as last years guys blocking on the perimeter?