2009 vs 2014, rushing comparison

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I did. We have some good options at AB. I would be willing to go as far as saying that the guys we have this year are more athletic and better with the ball in their hands. The only unknown is will they be as committed as last years guys blocking on the perimeter?

Agree about the perimeter blocking. Andrews will play a lot because he can block and run. Snoddy will get a lot of carries if he stays healthy. Willis will play because he can and will block and he looks like a good third and two ballcarrier. If Lynch continues to improve he will see some spot action (Bostic role). He is a better receiver than Willis and probably better than Snoddy and Andrews. I believe two freshmen will play and one or both will shine by the UGA game. AB will be fine.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... . The only unknown is will they be as committed as last years guys blocking on the perimeter?
And there is the rub. Potentially, anyway. I think it would be hard for this group -- this season, anyway -- are going to be better with the ball. Bet there will be oceans of difference from start of practice to the ND game, more than one might expect, because as you note, they might be more athletic and good athletes can sure close a gap.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The recent article on Laskey and Days, two obvious fan favorites yet neither a superstar, got me thinking of the old debate on the need for a "homerun threat" at Bback. Looking at the stats below, our offensive rushing production surpassed the year in which we had what many consider the ideal back for the marquee position.

I know an argument can be made for the impact of a much better OL in '14, but that is mitigated, imo, by the lack of defensive familiarity with the offense in '09. I think the impact of JT running the show cannot be overstated and that's even as compared to a pretty darn good qb in '09 in Josh Nesbitt.

That said, I think the stats below, which are total rushing yards by position, show that production and success in our offense can come in different forms. An '08 JD in last year's offense would have been devastating. Still, it's interesting and telling to see such a great degree of success in spite of the lack of a marquee guy at the the marquee runningback position.

RUSHING STAT COMPARISON 2009 VS 2014 (14 game schedule)

.................................................2009.................................................2114
Bback
.....................................1602...................................................1888
ABack.....................................1354...................................................1509
QB...........................................1128....................................................1290
other........................................52......................................................102

total
.......................................4136.....................................................4789
ypg...........................................295......................................................342
national rank........................2............................................................2
Good stuff. Thanks. I am guessing the one measure -- #2 in '09 and '14 -- shows us how much the read option has been ingrained into the college culture. Or maybe even that with all the talk about the shotgun and passing, running the ball remains the bread and butter of winners.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
And there is the rub. Potentially, anyway. I think it would be hard for this group -- this season, anyway -- are going to be better with the ball. Bet there will be oceans of difference from start of practice to the ND game, more than one might expect, because as you note, they might be more athletic and good athletes can sure close a gap.

I think there is a lot to your last statement. Our system is a little different in that it is so dependent on technique, but great athletes can always find a way to make it work. And I believe we are beginning to upgrade the overall athleticism at many positions.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a lot to your last statement. Our system is a little different in that it is so dependent on technique, but great athletes can always find a way to make it work. And I believe we are beginning to upgrade the overall athleticism at many positions.
I can tell you for a fact, though second hand, that the folks at Clemson think so.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff. Thanks. I am guessing the one measure -- #2 in '09 and '14 -- shows us how much the read option has been ingrained into the college culture. Or maybe even that with all the talk about the shotgun and passing, running the ball remains the bread and butter of winners.

Being #2 in both years really has to do with the teams who were number 1 and their competition, imo, Nevada in 09 and GS in 14. Georgia Southern averaged about 380 yds/game rushing last year. They rushed for 246 yds against NC State and 283 yds against us. It was 564 and 613 versus AppSt and GaSt, etc.

This happens every year. After 2011, how could we replace Roddy? After 2012, how could we replace Orwin? After 2013, there is no way we can replace Robbie, right?

2014 was different though. From 2008 to 2013, we had at least one guy we could always count on to make a huge play at AB. In 2014, it was all about the collective group. All six guys in the rotation we're committed to the system and it didn't matter who made the big play. All of them made a big play at some point but we didn't have a guy like Godhigh who would make 10 people miss and take it to the house. We did have people blocking on the perimeter, catching passes etc.
We had a ton of seniors that knew where to be and when to be there.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
We had a ton of seniors that knew where to be and when to be there.

True. Before the season, everyone looked at our AB group and thought it wasn't a stellar unit. IMO, it was the best group we've had overall since PJ has been here. Every one of them brought something valuable to the table.

The good news is Snoddy is a 5th year guy and Andrews and Willis are both 4th year guys. They should know where to go. I'm not too worried about the AB's, even though I'm not sure they will be as good as last year. I am, however, worried about the WR position.

True. Before the season, everyone looked at our AB group and thought it wasn't a stellar unit. IMO, it was the best group we've had overall since PJ has been here. Every one of them brought something valuable to the table.

The good news is Snoddy is a 5th year guy and Andrews and Willis are both 4th year guys. They should know where to go. I'm not too worried about the AB's, even though I'm not sure they will be as good as last year. I am, however, worried about the WR position.
Oh I agree 100% on the WR.. The offense will struggle at times , specially on third and long.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
As long as we are talking running--think how many yds were on right side behind SHAQ--then think about what Bill Belicheck just said about him--"maybe the best run blocker in the draft"--will be tough to replicate

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The ABack thing is interesting.. I wonder if that is because CPJ approaches that position (even more than the other skill spots) as being a landing zone for athletes.. If the guy is physical and tough he ends up blocking really well; super hands and he becomes a receiver type; speedy and shifty look out for the rocket; seems like this offense allows him to substitute in the best skill set for each play and game situation.

Even better, since the 3option opens up in so many permutations he can sub a speedster in to trick the defense into looking at the edges and then slam the BBack dive over and over again.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As long as we are talking running--think how many yds were on right side behind SHAQ--then think about what Bill Belicheck just said about him--"maybe the best run blocker in the draft"--will be tough to replicate
I do not mean to contract, but what I think he said was that they thought Mason was the best run blocker ... We need to take what we can get.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I do not mean to contract, but what I think he said was that they thought Mason was the best run blocker ... We need to take what we can get.

actually no.

In post-draft comments Saturday, Belichick said that “from a run-blocking standpoint, I’d say he’s probably ahead of every other player in the draft. Unless there was another one from Georgia Southern or Georgia Tech or whatever, but this guy ran blocked in one game more than some teams did all season.”

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...bly-ahead-of-every-other-player-in-the-draft/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
actually no.

In post-draft comments Saturday, Belichick said that “from a run-blocking standpoint, I’d say he’s probably ahead of every other player in the draft. Unless there was another one from Georgia Southern or Georgia Tech or whatever, but this guy ran blocked in one game more than some teams did all season.”

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...bly-ahead-of-every-other-player-in-the-draft/
I stand corrected. Just like mine better, I guess. Thanks.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
seems like this offense allows him to substitute in the best skill set for each play and game situation.
I agree with the concept but CPJ "claims" that he doesn't operate the offense that way. He says that he just grabs whoever the A-back is standing next to him and sends in the play. It is hard for me to believe that he does not give some thought to which personnel is in for a particular critical play call but on the other hand I suspect it would be too much to figure out on every single play. That would be too many variables for even CPJ to keep track of in his head.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As for Shaq, the other quote I liked by Belichik was "he just destroys human beings." This was funny and fun on so many levels. My mind immediately thought of related comments like, "against cyborgs he can more than hold his own."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the concept but CPJ "claims" that he doesn't operate the offense that way. He says that he just grabs whoever the A-back is standing next to him and sends in the play. It is hard for me to believe that he does not give some thought to which personnel is in for a particular critical play call but on the other hand I suspect it would be too much to figure out on every single play. That would be too many variables for even CPJ to keep track of in his head.
I was thinking about that in watching one replay or another. Who decides substitutions and how. Like you I don't quite buy "standing next to me," else eight A-backs would be clamoring for face time. It's a mystery.