2/14 - GT @ Wake Forest

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
If Ogbonda and Moore aren't available we may only have those seven for the remainder of this season.

I wonder if any of the walk-on players have demonstrated enough in practice to get a few minutes here and there to give someone a blow? I'm sure CJP has made them aware that their number may get called if they are needed.

slugboy

Staff member
I wonder if any of the walk-on players have demonstrated enough in practice to get a few minutes here and there to give someone a blow? I'm sure CJP has made them aware that their number may get called if they are needed.
From what I've seen, no.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Re: 9pm tip... I rarely buy the excuses of starting too early or too late, but 9pm is an exception to my feeling there. That time sucks.

Game doesn't let out until ~11pm, assuming no overtime, then folks walk to car and travel home. Maybe in bed by midnight? Now imagine if you have young kids... they aren't showing up in those seats. Or if you live 45 min - 1 hr from the stadium... the casual fan at that distance isn't showing up in their seats. Has to be an attendance killer imo.

Just read that the ACC limits the number of home 9pm weekday tips to no more than 2 per team. Even 2 seems excessive.

GT_EE78

Banned
Agreed. I would assume Jester would be the most likely but in the limited action he has seen he still looks very much like a walk on.
yea, always wondered about jester cuz he had some decent HS stats like a 20/10 guy but maybe that was in a lower division or small school league. Mario west is the only walkon that i recall ever seeing serious minutes

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Re: 9pm tip... I rarely buy the excuses of starting too early or too late, but 9pm is an exception to my feeling there. That time sucks.

Game doesn't let out until ~11pm, assuming no overtime, then folks walk to car and travel home. Maybe in bed by midnight? Now imagine if you have young kids... they aren't showing up in those seats. Or if you live 45 min - 1 hr from the stadium... the casual fan at that distance isn't showing up in their seats. Has to be an attendance killer imo.

Just read that the ACC limits the number of home 9pm weekday tips to no more than 2 per team. Even 2 seems excessive.

PLENTY of good seats available.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
yea, always wondered about jester cuz he had some decent HS stats like a 20/10 guy but maybe that was in a lower division or small school league. Mario west is the only walkon that i recall ever seeing serious minutes

Mario is the director of player personnel for the team and hopefully a role model for the walk-ons. He got a scholarship by playing inspiring and tough defense. If any of the walk-ons are willing to do this, they could probably get some playing time.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
West had a level of athleticism that is more than just want to in order to replicate. So I don’t expect that. But if one of the guards could play 1-2 minute spurts of decent D and no stupid mistakes on O that could be helpful around TV timeouts

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hopefully all the guys play with another gear now that Ballerado is on the shelf...

Just got out there and have fun and compete. Just want to see us replicate the effort from 2nd half Sunday night.

Time to throw caution to the wind and see what happens.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Didn't West win the dunk contest in college too? He was very athletic. I wanna say he was offered a walk on spot when our coaches saw him play while scouting Dwight Howard or Josh Smith. I can't fully remember.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully all the guys play with another gear now that Ballerado is on the shelf...

Just got out there and have fun and compete. Just want to see us replicate the effort from 2nd half Sunday night.

Time to throw caution to the wind and see what happens.
This is what I’m hoping for as well. The tempo that we ran after Jose went down was fun to watch. At this point get guys like Moses and Evan minutes for next year and just go out there and play ball. No season is ever over til it’s over but....... I thinks it’s tine to push the tempo and get use to doing it next year.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is what I’m hoping for as well. The tempo that we ran after Jose went down was fun to watch. At this point get guys like Moses and Evan minutes for next year and just go out there and play ball. No season is ever over til it’s over but....... I thinks it’s tine to push the tempo and get use to doing it next year.

We're stubborn enough to come out and win this game... Besides, Wake sucks!! LOL

I put $50 on ML.. Even short-handed and without a PG, I'll take +200 against a bum WF team.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

I live about 1.5 hours west of Winston Salem and everything you said is why I won't be there tonight.

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm an hour and a half east of W-S and I won't be there because ... well, it's Valentine's Day.

I don't think we match up well -- WF is pretty good at shooting threes (39%) - a weakness in our otherwise pretty decent-to-good defense - and bad at defending them (also 39%) - a vulnerability we are woefully equipped to exploit (losing Alvarado and Haywood did not help here). A healthy, confident Lammers is an interesting matchup with Doral, who is excellent on a per minute basis but can be put into foul trouble, but that simply isn't the Big Ben we've had on offense or the boards of late. Losing Alvarado also really hurts in terms of his ability to pressure Crawford, who frequently coughs the ball up - only Okogie, out of the wings, is average or better at generating turnovers and we can't expect him to do literally everything for us.

WF by 8.

GT_EE78

Banned
If Ogbonda and Moore aren't available we may only have those seven for the remainder of this season.
Wonder if he starts 3 bigs or 3 guards, 3 bigs would be logical allowing 1 of each off the bench. I'm speculating that it's Tad and M