2/11 - dook @ GT

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You're not doing it right. Just cite 'multiple sources' or 'unnamed sources' next time. Nobody'll call you on it. And if they do, cite journalistic integrity(sic).

Isn't that taught at orientation at the 4-letter network? :D

(Ah c'mon, you lol'd.)

Call that “Going Full Rothstein”

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Justin Moore should be at Tulane, who he committed to originally. He's not made for the ACC, he's too busy hanging out in clubs and with the rap group "Migos" to get better in the gym.....

I wanna say that someone on staff made reference to him basically being a gym rat this past offseason. Don’t recall the context...

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Did C-Breeze just coin the name 'Ballerado'?

... respeck

(I'm pounding my chest and pointing to the sky like Sammy Sosa used to)
Trademark pending.

Speaking of Sammy....I just saw this on twitter lol (n)
new_sammy_sosa_cowboy_update_slide_image.jpg

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That's an interesting tweet thread from Demetra as it goes back to an argument of whether Cole and Wright should have been getting min earlier.
His argument is that they played relatively well last night because they were in this development program and not playing in games. Others would say it would be more beneficial to get them min on the court.
Both have merits and since you can only choose one path you can't really prove either.

I'm neither criticizing nor supporting CPast on this but I just can't imagine a scenario where getting in-game minutes wouldn't be useful in complimenting the developmental program.

That seems alien to me when you consider there's absolutely no benefit to us losing games.

I can see where throwing a kid out there in games as a pseudo "development" strategy can certainly be detrimental. However, giving them spot minutes in semi-controlled game scenarios could be really helpful IMHO.

I guess that's a lot harder to do than it sounds. Ah well, hope these late few games will catapult both for next season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm neither criticizing nor supporting CPast on this but I just can't imagine a scenario where getting in-game minutes wouldn't be useful in complimenting the developmental program.

That seems alien to me when you consider there's absolutely no benefit to us losing games.

I can see where throwing a kid out there in games as a pseudo "development" strategy can certainly be detrimental. However, giving them spot minutes in semi-controlled game scenarios could be really helpful IMHO.

I guess that's a lot harder to do than it sounds. Ah well, hope these late few games will catapult both for next season.

Up to the BC Game I could understand sticking with the short rotation, after that it doesn't make sense to me because post-season is off the table
Two thoughts on the game vs development program for Evan and Moses. Early in the ACC schedule Pastner mentioned he was not playing Evan and Moses partly because neither was practicing hard enough to earn time. So it is possible that until they started to practice harder they were not going to be given any significant time.
Second, the developmental program had extra lifting and skill work at the expense of game prep, so they would have been less prepared than others for what they might sign in gametime.

Happy to see them get time and i'm not going to freak out when they have the game where they play 15 min and don't score and get 1 rb. Once teams start to get film on you it gets alot easier for them to attack you on both ends of the floor,

I didn't mind the short bench, especially if Haywood had been healthy, but I always though the staff needed to find a way to get Josh, Ben and Jose 5 min a game on the bench. That didn't necessarily mean playing Evan and Moses, but with Curtis out if felt like one of them needed to play a few min at least.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ha - I admit to not being an expert on NCAA transfer rules. I'll be honest, this is the main source of my knowledge on this (admittedly not the best source)

That is not in agreement with the NCAA website:

"Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence."

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Up to the BC Game I could understand sticking with the short rotation, after that it doesn't make sense to me because post-season is off the table
Two thoughts on the game vs development program for Evan and Moses. Early in the ACC schedule Pastner mentioned he was not playing Evan and Moses partly because neither was practicing hard enough to earn time. So it is possible that until they started to practice harder they were not going to be given any significant time.
Second, the developmental program had extra lifting and skill work at the expense of game prep, so they would have been less prepared than others for what they might sign in gametime.

Happy to see them get time and i'm not going to freak out when they have the game where they play 15 min and don't score and get 1 rb. Once teams start to get film on you it gets alot easier for them to attack you on both ends of the floor,

I didn't mind the short bench, especially if Haywood had been healthy, but I always though the staff needed to find a way to get Josh, Ben and Jose 5 min a game on the bench. That didn't necessarily mean playing Evan and Moses, but with Curtis out if felt like one of them needed to play a few min at least.

+1
Up until BC we had an outside shot and you play your roster to win. I don't begrudge CJP if that is what he thought was the best way to go - and it is consistent with his history. After that play for next year.

I don't think the concept you put out gets recognized about time to prepare for games. The 3 amigos getting extra personal development time are still limited to 20 hours per week (with exceptions for games and travel) so that personal development time has to generally come out of regular practice time. So again up until BC I can understand going with those that you are focusing on in practice.

The other dynamic is Ben and beyond 5-10 min per game rest you could make the case we should have shut him down for 2 weeks to get right. IMHO I think we have been paying for that decision as well given how Lammers looks limited even now but if you are focused on PT for Cole/Wright that is another angle where they could have gotten PT. CJP made a call and like most things this year it hasn't worked out.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Justin Moore should be at Tulane, who he committed to originally. He's not made for the ACC, he's too busy hanging out in clubs and with the rap group "Migos" to get better in the gym.....

He's a good kid, but not fully focused. He was hanging out with Migos when I saw him.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
9.5 man. 9 point ****ing 5! All Tadric had to do was make hat last 3....
Oh well. I will say I loved the fight late. We need to play more of the bench now, especially if Jose is done. And push the tempo! The announcers keep telling the story of how JP sold JO on is playing fast, well now is the time.
Lol. Don't blame Tadric, I don't think Alston was supposed to foul at the end. Pretty sure CJP got on to him for that.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly that second half was one of the most fun I've had at a GT game in a long time. The crowd was louder than I've heard it over the last two years and it was definitely a very impressive showing for any recruits in the building. Hopefully it played well that even with a good amount of Duke fans, we still far outnumbered them and brought the decibels.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
+1
Up until BC we had an outside shot and you play your roster to win. I don't begrudge CJP if that is what he thought was the best way to go - and it is consistent with his history. After that play for next year.

I don't think the concept you put out gets recognized about time to prepare for games. The 3 amigos getting extra personal development time are still limited to 20 hours per week (with exceptions for games and travel) so that personal development time has to generally come out of regular practice time. So again up until BC I can understand going with those that you are focusing on in practice.

The other dynamic is Ben and beyond 5-10 min per game rest you could make the case we should have shut him down for 2 weeks to get right. IMHO I think we have been paying for that decision as well given how Lammers looks limited even now but if you are focused on PT for Cole/Wright that is another angle where they could have gotten PT. CJP made a call and like most things this year it hasn't worked out.

I actually advocated putting Ben on the shelf in December. Ankles can be a pain to heal unless you simply stay off of them.
I was watching the replay late last night and the broadcasters mentioned that Ben was also dealing with some minor knee issue. The first thing that came to my mind was I wonder if trying to play on the bum ankle caused stress that caused the knee issue. Could have been overcompensating.

GT_EE78

Banned
great to see Cole/Wright getting some long overdue minutes, and playing well to boot, offers a bit of optimism for next year which we damn sure need about now........

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In re to Ben,
We will miss him a lot next yr.Even the hurt Ben.Its hard to replace that DEF threat down low.Its a shame his SR yr was wasted.Of course the Jr yr was unbelievable to some extent.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looking for silver linings:

We got to blood some young guys, and I think it will do wonders for them the next couple of seasons.

Alvarado is a completely different player now than when the season started. You can see his confidence growing, and his ability to process the game at this level is starting to catch up with his physical skillset. Yes, he's still making freshmen mistakes (final regulation possession against BC), but there are some moments from him where you just nod your head and say "Yup, that guy is going to win us a LOT of games down the road." Pair him with Devoe...and man, this is going to be a FUN team with Josh O and Phillips next season.

IMO, Haywood was close to being a top 3 player for us before his injury. His shot was starting to fall, and some of us were actually disappointed he wasn't being more aggressive with his shot selection. I think of all the players, Haywood was probably set back the most with his injury.

The freshmen post players need a LOT of work, but you can see flashes. I think Wright has big upside once he gets grown man strength and more time with Reveno. With Cole, I can see a bit of Matt Geiger in him eventually. Not someone who's going to ring up points at will, but his hustle and tenacity is going to be big for us once he understands our system and his responsibility more. You need guys like Geiger who throw themselves in front of guys and on the floor for loose balls. I hope it happens sooner, but with Cole and Wright, their best years will probably be their JR and SR years.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The situation with Moore is perplexing. If he is on full scholarship and is available to play then put him in the game if he is needed in the rotation. If he is not willing to play then why is he still on scholarship. He has all the benefits and no responsibilities. Makes no sense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The situation with Moore is perplexing. If he is on full scholarship and is available to play then put him in the game if he is needed in the rotation. If he is not willing to play then why is he still on scholarship. He has all the benefits and no responsibilities. Makes no sense.

I think he practices.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

It's not perplexing at all considering the new transfer rules allow him to basically redshirt half the season to maintain some eligibility at his next stop.

At this point, all he can do is be a good citizen which it appears he is indeed doing.

Both sides seem to be making the best of the situation pending his eventual departure.