2/11 - dook @ GT

Deleted member 2897

Justin Moore out for the season, Okogie out for a third of the season, Alvarado out for a quarter of the season, Curtis Haywood out for a third of the season, Jackson out for a quarter of the season, Lammers playing hurt a third of the season. Etc. Wow.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Sure hope @RyanS12 didn't take the line at 10 or else we might have to put security around Alston.
9.5 man. 9 point ****ing 5! All Tadric had to do was make hat last 3....
Oh well. I will say I loved the fight late. We need to play more of the bench now, especially if Jose is done. And push the tempo! The announcers keep telling the story of how JP sold JO on is playing fast, well now is the time.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I dislocated my shooting elbow my sophomore year and needed surgery. It took a long time to get my shot back because of the lack of extension on my follow through. Hopefully it’s not that bad for JA. Tough injury

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Both should have been playing all season and I’m not saying this because of tonight. It was known early on that this would be a tough year and that there would be no redshirts. They should have been getting minutes to prepare them for the next few years.

Agreed. No reason why Wright shouldn’t have been seeing AT LEAST 15-20 mins a night. I really believe those preseason losses had pastner scrambling so he came up with that BS 6 man rotation.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I dislocated my shooting elbow my sophomore year and needed surgery. It took a long time to get my shot back because of the lack of extension on my follow through. Hopefully it’s not that bad for JA. Tough injury

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was his left arm that he messed up. I think he raised his right one when he went off. Or is he a lefty?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Both should have been playing all season and I’m not saying this because of tonight. It was known early on that this would be a tough year and that there would be no redshirts. They should have been getting minutes to prepare them for the next few years.

Preach. It's not like we need to tank. Shiii, ain't no such thing as a #1 pick.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think Cole or Wright would’ve changed a single outcome we’ve had but given the fact that we have nothing to play for, postseason wise, they need to get some run.
Strongly disagree with his comment. A lot of games we lost had some mental mistakes mixed in there. Mental mistakes that came from fatigue which could have easily been avoided through substitution.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I think all the off court issues have some what clouded CJP’s coaching judgement a little. Everything in game seems off this year. It’s impossible for all of that drama not to constantly be on his mind. I don’t care who you are.

Very true, I feel like since he’s been under the gun for damn near most of the season he was just focused on saving his job and not really trying to give his bench a chance.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think all the off court issues have some what clouded CJP’s coaching judgement a little. Everything in game seems off this year. It’s impossible for all of that drama not to constantly be on his mind. I don’t care who you are.

Sadly, it looks like there's a cloud over everything we do.

I get pissed off when BSPN does the obligatory, "And Pastner has been accused of ..."

There's no possible way to touch on all the context necessary to not totally prejudice folks against him and, by extension, GT.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I am not worried I think rebuilds will have their ups and downs. Virginia Duke hell the Spurs all were ready to fire their current coaches at some point. I'm all for unless substantial proof is revealed keeping Pastner until 2022 then evaluating where we are at. You can see flashes that you didn't early in the year from the young guys that if the staff can continue to develop them the get old stay old process that Pastner wants will be a success.

Last edited:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW CJP was ACC coach of the year with a 6 to at most 7 man rotation and sticking with guys who had some level of experience. He has stated several times that he doesn't normally play a long bench. So expecting a zebra to turn in his stripes for leopard spots is a bit misplaced.

If everyone knew this was a wasted season before the start then yea maybe you play the bench a lot more. But the zebra did pretty much what he did last year. And let's see our new found heros succeed in tight ACC games (if we have any more this year) before we put bring the pitchforks and torches to CJP's office.

And to echo a few others - Whoever sold their soul to the devil for last year's results is getting paid back 4 fold this year

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
FWIW CJP was ACC coach of the year with a 6 to at most 7 man rotation and sticking with guys who had some level of experience. He has stated several times that he doesn't normally play a long bench. So expecting a zebra to turn in his stripes for leopard spots is a bit misplaced.

If everyone knew this was a wasted season before the start then yea maybe you play the bench a lot more. But the zebra did pretty much what he did last year. And let's see our new found heros succeed in tight ACC games (if we have any more this year) before we put bring the pitchforks and torches to CJP's office.

The only person who could have really played more last year was Christian Matthews and it was likely the staff knew he was transferring before the end of the year. We had a 7 man rotation and used gueye and Ogbonda to step in and play a small amount for breathers. But we also had Q and Ben who were playing about 35 mpg each. This year is different as Gueye is only playing about 25 and instead of using one or both of the other players that we do have available, Pastner constantly went back to the small ball line up that hasn't worked at all and isn't conducive to the way the team is built. ESPECIALLY once Haywood got injured, and I mean the first time including when he was obviously playing at sub 100%. It wasn't just a call for playing for the future. It was a call against playing the stupid small ball line up that doesn't work.

I don't get why some people have such a hard time admitting that coaching staffs can make a mistake. Pastner did when he bet on the small ball line up with a short bench. It was the wrong decision, and today proved that both Cole and Wright deserved a chance to at least show what they could do with some meaningful minutes. n

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
The only person who could have really played more last year was Christian Matthews and it was likely the staff knew he was transferring before the end of the year. We had a 7 man rotation and used gueye and Ogbonda to step in and play a small amount for breathers. But we also had Q and Ben who were playing about 35 mpg each. This year is different as Gueye is only playing about 25 and instead of using one or both of the other players that we do have available, Pastner constantly went back to the small ball line up that hasn't worked at all and isn't conducive to the way the team is built. ESPECIALLY once Haywood got injured, and I mean the first time including when he was obviously playing at sub 100%. It wasn't just a call for playing for the future. It was a call against playing the stupid small ball line up that doesn't work.

I don't get why some people have such a hard time admitting that coaching staffs can make a mistake. Pastner did when he bet on the small ball line up with a short bench. It was the wrong decision, and today proved that both Cole and Wright deserved a chance to at least show what they could do with some meaningful minutes. n
I liked Mathews, thought he coulda been good

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually AD played less than 7 min and Ogbondo played less than 5 min per game in the ACC last year. Those are the exact kind of "investments" folks are looking for with Cole and Wright.

I expected we wouldn't use either of these guys much this year. I expect that was CJP's idea as well. See if we couldn't play D well enough to win like we did last year while the young uns grew up.
Given the way the season blew up with Lammers injured, Haywood injured, and things generally going to hadies - yea it very much looks like we should have played everyone on the bench all year. Now that the season is over in every way except the last whistle then yea play em minutes. I have said that. Just not sure that not playing for next year from the start of this year is a mistake. In hindsight yes, from the way CJP looks at the world not sure I see it that way.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Considering I was watching a total disaster game (for GT) a while ago, Wright and Cole made the last 10 minutes fun to watch. I hope they see a lot of minutes the rest of the season. Their fight and energy made us a different team.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
That was the most exciting blowout I have ever watched/enjoyed.

When Cole World(the nickname he likes)

was in 10th grade I told him once he makes it, to karate chop Grayson Allen in the throat. Sadly, he did not follow my orders....but he did one better. He sent his weak stuff packing twice with a bs foul call taking one away. But my favorite play was when he fouled him hard on a drive and made him earn it at the line.

When he threw that putback down and the crowd was chanting his name, I got goosebumps man. He showed a flash of what to expect in the future: energy & hustle off the bench, and knocking down the open 3. And I gotta say he was the best player out of 7A tonight(South's & Milton's league) *shots fired at #15* I gotta say, I am proud of my chick-fil-a dealer!

Moses was also electric, with a couple nice blocks, and jumpers to go with some impressive rebounds and a monster put back. Energy cannot be taught, put it with skill, and we will be cooking.

Losing Jose was terrible, but if I had to bet on 1 person on this team to come back even stronger, it would be Ballerado.

Okogie was the usual Okogie but I was impressed with the leadership he showed in the 2nd half directing and talking with the youngsters. You can tell they actually listen and value what he is saying.

Tad, AD, Lammers, Alston(basically our upperclassmen)....not much to say. Jackson had a nice move on Carter. Lammers gave solid effort and made a few nice rebounds, was running with a limp again...sadly not the same player as last year. Gueye. Can't make anything or hold onto the ball. Its a shame, I felt like he was just starting to turn the corner. Hopefully it is just a little slump and that hook comes back.

& I gotta say, for someone who is leaving*rumored* ;) Justin Moore is the most excited and supportive bench warmer I have ever seen. Major S/O to him. If the coaches decide to give him run, I will support it.

I look forward to us finishing the season with max effort and seeing our players' continued growth and development!

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Justin Moore out for the season, Okogie out for a third of the season, Alvarado out for a quarter of the season, Curtis Haywood out for a third of the season, Jackson out for a quarter of the season, Lammers playing hurt a third of the season. Etc. Wow.
Moore is out for the season?? I saw him suited up last night.