'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Jon Rothstein says it's tough to predict 2-12! When has "tough to predict" ever stopped an analyst from throwing in a prediction? Not matter how silly. The statement that Northwestern has 9-10 guys that can play is really a dig. What he means is that the Wildcats don't have any one player their opponents have to worry about. The consensus I have seen is they will finish somewhere in the lower half of the standings, probably somewhere around 9-11.

Does that mean this is a sure win for us? By no means.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@orientalnc While it's nice that Rothstein is dropping nuggets on our future opponents, I agree you have to take his stuff with a grain of salt. He's often times more hypeman than critical analyst.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When your coaches lose a boatload of weight, you know they're ready to set an example for hard work. Check out Chad Dollar.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How cool is it that we left town for training camp? This is how you bring kids together to gel.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/college/waiting-make-point/#.VDvfEdmtXs4.twitter

Jorgenson featured in Slam Magazine as one of "Three underrated NCAA point guards to look out for in 2014-15." Great to see him finally get some recognition as someone to watch!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Koenig may have been able to take last season’s experience on the court to hit his offseason training running, but Georgia Tech’s Travis Jorgenson wasn’t able to go full-speed until a few weeks ago.

The Columbia, MO, native arrived in Atlanta by way of New Hampshire after playing his senior season at New Hampton. The 6-footer cracked Brian Gregory’s Yellow Jackets rotation from the get go thanks to the quintessential floor general qualities he possesses, and averaged close to 20 minutes a game.

During Tech’s fourth game against Dayton, he tore the ACL in his right knee and was forced to redshirt following surgery.

“I was just getting my feet wet, and getting in the rotation which was pretty cool,” Jorgenson remembered. “Then the injury came which was unfortunate, but it was four games in so I got the medical redshirt. So that was a positive because if it came later I would’ve lost a year (of eligibility).”

Aside from being able to keep a year of eligibility, another silver lining from his injury came in his preparation for his redshirt freshman season.

“I just feel a lot more mentally prepared, and ready, this year than I did last year,” Jorgenson said. “Just being around watching practices, watching games and seeing gameplans helped me realize what it will take to be successful.”

Known for his excellent court sense, and a nasty handle, Jorgenson said he was able to start shooting around six months after his surgery. He said he focused on fixing some mechanics on his shot, striving for more consistency with repetition in order to improve that part of his game.

Since being cleared to go full-speed with his teammates a few weeks ago, Jorgenson claimed his command on the point guard position suffered no ill effect of the year off.

“When I’m out there I feel like my feel for the game is right back where it was,” Jorgenson said. “I didn’t have any clue what to expect. I’m happy with where I’m at, but I’m not where I want to be so I have to keep working every day.

“All I’m trying to focus on is going in every day ready to work, and doing everything I have to. Then I’ll keep treating my knee making sure it’s fresh for the next day, so I can keep getting better the next day.”

Since most of his time was dedicated to getting healthy, strengthening his knees and getting back into shape during the offseason, Jorgenson’s day-to-day progression the remainder of the preseason and beyond could be integral to the success of the Yellow Jackets.

Last year’s starting point guard Trae Golden graduated, so Jorgenson is in the midst of trying to earn minutes among a handful of other guards.

“I haven’t talked with [the coaches] about playing time or anything like that,” Jorgenson said. “I feel like I should get some minutes, but we’ll see what I can do in the next few weeks in practices. It will all depend on how well my knee holds up and how well I perform.”

Tech fans got to see a small sample size of how well he can perform, but assuming all goes well health-wise they will get to see a point guard whose presence can help improve upon last year’s 16-17 season and exclusion from the NCAA Tournament.

“I can control the game a little bit,” Jorgenson said modestly. “I get guys the ball where they need to get it. I try to push the tempo, take care of the ball, get guys in the right spots and hit open shots. So I try to help the team out in that way.”

The Yellow Jackets haven’t made an appearance since 2010, and are picked to finish toward the bottom of the Atlantic Coast Conference this season by a variety of publications in effectively meaningless pre-season polls.

Jorgenson is ready to do his part in helping Georgia Tech prove itself, all the while proving himself as a high-major point guard.

“That’s something we’re aware of, and I definitely feel like we have something to prove,” Jorgenson said. “But the good thing is that once they throw the ball up and the season starts none of that matters. Other teams will have to earn a win just as much as we do. I’m excited to go out there and compete.”

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Loved seeing this comment: “That’s something we’re aware of, and I definitely feel like we have something to prove,”

Hopefully the remainder of the team feels that way too.. In order for us to be successful, I think that are really three keys:

1. Gel as a team with all of the transfers and new faces!
2. Play with a chip on their shoulder.
3. Stay healthy

If we see those things happen, we could be looking at an 18-20 win team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A friend of mine just asked to use my tickets on 11/7 against Clayton State, which, unbeknownst to me is our home exhibition game.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mine just asked to use my tickets on 11/7 against Clayton State, which, unbeknownst to me is our home exhibition game.

I actually just saw that yesterday as well. Would have thought they'd at least mention it on twitter or something

Good article. Definitely think he could and needs to step up this season. Hope he worked on his free throws in the offseason because he's going to be going to the line a lot.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With the season right around the corner, there has been a lot of discussion about how Tadric would fit in. dtm posted a video in one of the recruiting threads, and it got the juices flowing. The highlights in the video below are from the semi-final game of last year's AAAAAA playoffs against Norcross. This is the game that he played at McCamish and went off for 40. Tadric is #12

Please do not misinterpret what I am saying. I don't think that Tadric will be dropping 40 per game, but from the clip, you can get a sense of where I think that he will make a living for us. Out in transition, pushing the ball to the basket, and in a half-court setting, getting into the lane and using his body to draw contact and finish. As BG said, he has a knack for scoring, and I think that becomes evident early on, but he can create for others as well. You also see that here.

The thing that I loved most about the video is that from the 2:52 mark on, the 4th quarter, he took over. He was making steals, scoring in transition, scoring off the bounce, step back 3's, kicking to open teams..Basically leading his team to the championship.

Sidenote: Tadric's brother, Tyrie “Pig” Jackson, is # 1 in this highlight clip.
He's only a sophomore in this video. If he continues to develop, he might be a guy to keep our eye on.

Last edited: