12/5 - MBB vs U(sic)GA

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’m just saying other than pure shooters, which I would love to have but we don’t have any of them either, we need athletes. The same guys that jump out of the gym and play above the rim can usually elevate to get off clean jump shots instead of getting blocked, etc.
I hear ya… but I’m not sure we don’t.
we played intimidated. I think that’s more a function of being young / inexperienced than lacking athletic ability.

After all, we looked more athletic than Duke most of the game and then got “out athleted” against UGA? Nah.

slugboy

Staff member
Our staff optometrist

British Basketball Pain GIF by Hoopsfix

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear ya… but I’m not sure we don’t.
we played intimidated. I think that’s more a function of being young / inexperienced than lacking athletic ability.

After all, we looked more athletic than Duke most of the game and then got “out athleted” against UGA? Nah.
I hope so. I’ll keep watching and cheering. I’m gonna try to flush this one from the memory bank.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Is CDS asking too much of Ndongo and George? They were great in the last two games, but this was not their night on offense.

They were great against Duke.

Against MSU Ndongo was 1-7 for 2 points and George was 4-10 (0-3) for 11 points with 1 assist to 3 turnovers. I wouldn't really classify that as great. George was good and showed reasons to be excited for the freshman but Ndongo wasn't. Showed athleticism and a defensive presence but not much else.

I still think the better path would to have been to focus around the returning experience we have in Sturdivant, Coleman, and Kelly (and Terry when he returns) and playing to their strengths while more slowly incorporating the younger players. However, at this point that ship has likely sailed. I don't think the style we are playing suits them at all so in the long run it probably is better to just go full on head first into the George and Ndongo combo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing that's clear to me: Reeves needs to stay on the floor at all times...or at least as much as he can handle. Dude is our most consistent scorer, and overall player from Game 1.

Ndongo had a bad shooting night, but he was actually not bad overall. 11 Rebs which was a game high for either side, as was his 3 blocks. He tied a game high of 3 steals. He got bodied out some by Tchewa (who's 7+ ft and close to 280 lbs). Overall a solid effort by him...he tends to find multiple ways to affect the game outside of just scoring.

We just put up a LOT of shots (75 attempts overall, 27 from 3) and had a low conversion rate.

Flush this game and move on. Never want to lose to the dags (Snatch reference). Unfortunately, we'll have a few more of these games considering how much we shoot from outside.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We came out flat and got flatter from there. Not sure where the low energy and lack of focus came from. When you keep missing layups and shots ten feet from the basket something is off. Ordinarily one might say the team is tired but surely they got enough rest after Duke.

Would love to hear how the coach addressed them after this. Does he blister them for never getting their heads in the game? Does he reassure them that this is not who they are and these nights happen and shake it off? Or does he know what was bothering them and explain it to them? Or he could say very little and let the silence eat at them until the next practice which he turns into an intense tutorial.

Would love someone to explain to me what was happening. I kept waiting for them to wake up and they never did.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
So after MSU and Puke most likely all of the guys were reminded about school and how they have finals next week and need to study. School tutors prolly been riding them hard the last few days. That plus reading their own press from back to back ranked wins.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So after MSU and Puke most likely all of the guys were reminded about school and how they have finals next week and need to study. School tutors prolly been riding them hard the last few days. That plus reading their own press from back to back ranked wins.
“Oh, crap, I totally forgot I’m behind on my labs and still haven’t studied for my finals!”
-what dawned on them between celebrating the Duke win and preparing for uga.

And some of us, late in life, still have the occasional nightmares about forgetting a class or taking a test for a course you haven’t attended.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Really? Everything else looked good? I saw a lot of bad body language and sloppy play amongst other nonsense.
I don't know a lot about basketball, but I could see what you're referring to. I didn't say "good". I said, "decent to halfway decent". I guess I was being charitable. They seemed to whip the ball around and find reasonably open shots. I think shooting was their main downfall. But no, I don't know a lot about basketball. I just went to the game and that was my impression. I wouldn't know from "body language".

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
“Oh, crap, I totally forgot I’m behind on my labs and still haven’t studied for my finals!”
-what dawned on them between celebrating the Duke win and preparing for uga.

And some of us, late in life, still have the occasional nightmares about forgetting a class or taking a test for a course you haven’t attended.
I mean that’s all I can figure. I think finals are next week. 🤷🏽‍♂️

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know a lot about basketball, but I could see what you're referring to. I didn't say "good". I said, "decent to halfway decent". I guess I was being charitable. They seemed to whip the ball around and find reasonably open shots. I think shooting was their main downfall. But no, I don't know a lot about basketball. I just went to the game and that was my impression. I wouldn't know from "body language".
Kudos to you for going to the game. You probably had a better look at things than I did on tv.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, that was less than ideal. :banghead: :vomit: To be honest, it wasn't totally unexpected, because we just came off of two big wins and we were on the road. UGA has some talent, but they have been uneven too. However, this one was a perfect storm of UGA shooting out of their minds, and our guys getting rattled and playing poorly. Here are a few things I saw:

The good:
-17 offensive rebounds is very good, and this has been one of the consistent strengths of the team all year.
-It was nice to see Gapare back and making a positive impact. His baseline dunk was impressive and he made some good blocks.
-Ndongo has such good basketball instincts, especially defensively. He is an excellent weakside shot-blocker and got another 3 blocks and 3 steals in this one.

The bad:
-Pretty much everything and everyone else. The defense relapsed from the Duke game, the FTs relapsed (when we finally shot them--see below), the 3-point shooting was horrid, and everything looked out-of-sync.

The ugly:
-The officiating and our lack of adjustment to it. The refs were bad, and they were fine to let this game devolve into a rugby scrum, especially inside. It looked to me like our team was shocked by the refs swallowing their whistles over and over, and it took them waaaaaay too long to adjust to the way the game was being called. UGA just rolled with it and benefitted, while we kept absorbing contact on drives and expecting fouls. This led to two things: 1) Lots of altered shot attempts at the rim, and 2) No FTs. We did not shoot a free throw until there was 11:47 left in the second half. Seriously, 0 free throw attempts for GT in the first 28 minutes of game action. (Then, it was as if the refs realized it and tried to make up for it by calling lots of fouls on UGA when they were already way ahead.)
-Even with the horrible officiating, we missed approximately 586,291 lay-ups, dunks, and close shots in the game. I've seen all of these guys make layups so I will just assume that this was an outlier because 1) they were getting hacked, and 2) they were too amped up and played tight.

Let's flush this one and move on the the next. The outcome of our season is still to be decided.

Go Jackets!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm not over reacting to a night where nothing would go in the basket in a December game just before finals. Kids played hard all game, had 2-3 guys on the floor battling for loose balls at times. Ndongo is a force even when his shooting touch is off. This team will be fun to watch this season as I think we can play with anybody on a good night.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not over reacting to a night where nothing would go in the basket in a December game just before finals. Kids played hard all game, had 2-3 guys on the floor battling for loose balls at times. Ndongo is a force even when his shooting touch is off. This team will be fun to watch this season as I think we can play with anybody on a good night.
Yep, it was a lousy game. Ugly performance.

But I honestly believe it has nothing to do with how good this team could be. Hopefully we learn from this game, especially finding out how to generate points when no one is shooting well.

This is one of those games you forget and move on.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
this one was a perfect storm of UGA shooting out of their minds,

uga shot better than GT, but 40% is not good. Their 30% from beyond the 3-point line is also not good. What they did was beat us on the boards and make their FTs. We lost by 14 and eight of those points we lost at the FT line.

We are not going to win shooting 32% and getting out rebounded. Quibble about the officiating, but that was not a factor in this loss. uga wanted this game more and was a lot more agressive than our guys.

Last edited:

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, that was less than ideal. :banghead: :vomit: To be honest, it wasn't totally unexpected, because we just came off of two big wins and we were on the road. UGA has some talent, but they have been uneven too. However, this one was a perfect storm of UGA shooting out of their minds, and our guys getting rattled and playing poorly. Here are a few things I saw:

The good:
-17 offensive rebounds is very good, and this has been one of the consistent strengths of the team all year.
-It was nice to see Gapare back and making a positive impact. His baseline dunk was impressive and he made some good blocks.
-Ndongo has such good basketball instincts, especially defensively. He is an excellent weakside shot-blocker and got another 3 blocks and 3 steals in this one.

The bad:
-Pretty much everything and everyone else. The defense relapsed from the Duke game, the FTs relapsed (when we finally shot them--see below), the 3-point shooting was horrid, and everything looked out-of-sync.

The ugly:
-The officiating and our lack of adjustment to it. The refs were bad, and they were fine to let this game devolve into a rugby scrum, especially inside. It looked to me like our team was shocked by the refs swallowing their whistles over and over, and it took them waaaaaay too long to adjust to the way the game was being called. UGA just rolled with it and benefitted, while we kept absorbing contact on drives and expecting fouls. This led to two things: 1) Lots of altered shot attempts at the rim, and 2) No FTs. We did not shoot a free throw until there was 11:47 left in the second half. Seriously, 0 free throw attempts for GT in the first 28 minutes of game action. (Then, it was as if the refs realized it and tried to make up for it by calling lots of fouls on UGA when they were already way ahead.)
-Even with the horrible officiating, we missed approximately 586,291 lay-ups, dunks, and close shots in the game. I've seen all of these guys make layups so I will just assume that this was an outlier because 1) they were getting hacked, and 2) they were too amped up and played tight.

Let's flush this one and move on the the next. The outcome of our season is still to be decided.

Go Jackets!
Some good points, except uga was not exactly shooting out of their minds. They finished around 40/30 percent on FG/3P. Pretty pedestrian. I think they started the game 1-9 from 3P. The game was there for the taking. The dwags certainly didn’t do anything to win, GT played to loose.

Hopefully learn from it and move on.