12/5 - MBB vs U(sic)GA

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I thought our looks were better last February/March when Pastner was rolling with that dribble-drive motion offense and the 6-7 deep roster, but that's just my opinion. Almost everything this season is off the dribble or "sorta contested" as an earlier poster referred to.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Our players have had plenty of open shots this season. Far more than the past 10 years. Right now the players are having both good and bad shooting nights. It’s still very early in the season.

We have played 8 games. We shot 44.8% from 3 against 0-8 GSU. Otherwise our 3 point shooting performances are as follows

Howard we shot 22.2% from 3
Lowell we shot 20%
Cinci - we shot 29.4%
MSU - we shot 29.6%
Duke - we shot 30.4%
UGA - we shot 29.6%

Where are the good shooting nights?

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone can watch that game and not see we were getting consistent open shots. We just didn't knock them down or finish.

We can't be watching the same games then. We will occasionally have good ball movement resulting in a good in rhythm 3, but the majority of the time our threes are off of little to no movement or motion, not in rhythm, and usually contested. Some are makeable looks but they aren't good looks. And the %s reflect that not just as a team but individually as well. I honestly don't see how anyone watches our offense this year so far and come away with the conclusion that the issue with 3 point shooting isn't primarily a shot selection issue.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We have played 8 games. We shot 44.8% from 3 against 0-8 GSU. Otherwise our 3 point shooting performances are as follows

Howard we shot 22.2% from 3
Lowell we shot 20%
Cinci - we shot 29.4%
MSU - we shot 29.6%
Duke - we shot 30.4%
UGA - we shot 29.6%

Where are the good shooting nights?

We can't be watching the same games then. We will occasionally have good ball movement resulting in a good in rhythm 3, but the majority of the time our threes are off of little to no movement or motion, not in rhythm, and usually contested. Some are makeable looks but they aren't good looks. And the %s reflect that not just as a team but individually as well. I honestly don't see how anyone watches our offense this year so far and come away with the conclusion that the issue with 3 point shooting isn't primarily a shot selection issue.
Look at individuals. My point is some nights individual players have hade good shooting nights and other games bad shooting nights.

How many games have we played so far? How many new players are we integrating into the team concept?

If you don’t work on what you want to run when you have the players you need to actually run that offense.

None of us knows if the offense will get better as the year progress and our shooting percent as a team will go up. I would expect it to as the team gets more games as a team under their belts.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I thought our looks were better last February/March when Pastner was rolling with that dribble-drive motion offense and the 6-7 deep roster, but that's just my opinion. Almost everything this season is off the dribble or "sorta contested" as an earlier poster referred to.
I agree. Our offense looked pretty good to me last year near the end of the season when Franklin became fully healthy. He changed our whole offense though he was undersized but played much taller. And that is just my opinion with limited basketball knowledge.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Our offense looked pretty good to me last year near the end of the season when Franklin became fully healthy. He changed our whole offense though he was undersized but played much taller. And that is just my opinion with limited basketball knowledge.
Yesterday was 5 December. Mid Feb/March is a long way away! Are you not expecting a team with 4 returning players (only 3 have played to date due to injury) and 9 new players to have everything figures out by game 7?

Time is on our side for this team to improve. They likely will be very up and down this year.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
That was last year. This year is developing. went to the game last night. OK, WE HAVE SOME WORK TO DO, BUT IT IS A DEVELOPMENT.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday was 5 December. Mid Feb/March is a long way away! Are you not expecting a team with 4 returning players (only 3 have played to date due to injury) and 9 new players to have everything figures out by game 7?

Time is on our side for this team to improve. They likely will be very up and down this year.
Sure I am! This team has a lot more talent than last year's especially with a bona-fide rim protector like Ndongo that can score and 2 capable point guards with Kyle and Nait coming along. I am all in on Stoudamire leading us in the right direction, at least right now. I think he is the real deal.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LOL - is this the same forum from a year ago? At least three post here stating the offense looked better a year ago. 🤪

Our offense was god-awful a year ago. It’s ultimately what got Josh fired. All we heard was crying about the Princeton.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
LOL - is this the same forum from a year ago? At least three post here stating the offense looked better a year ago. 🤪

Our offense was god-awful a year ago. It’s ultimately what got Josh fired. All we heard was crying about the Princeton.

I feel like some folks just aren't bought in on the new coach. Pastner really connected with some folks and they seem to see the new guy as an outsider. That's my psychoanalysis, emphasis on "psycho". Only way I can explain the odd criticism. Guy hasn't even gotten a honeymoon period.

Not saying he's above reproach. Just seeing some odd takes, imho. Can't understand it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

We didn't run the Princeton the last month and a half of the season and I thought that offense looked pretty good. The Princeton offense was god awful. I'm also not anti-Stoudamire.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We didn't run the Princeton the last month and a half of the season and I thought that offense looked pretty good. The Princeton offense was god awful. I'm also not anti-Stoudamire.
My guy - we ran the Princeton, it just wasn’t through Rodney and started a lil different. We played smaller and went through JaVon, but it still the same sets for the most part.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel like some folks just aren't bought in on the new coach. Pastner really connected with some folks and they seem to see the new guy as an outsider. That's my psychoanalysis, emphasis on "psycho". Only way I can explain the odd criticism. Guy hasn't even gotten a honeymoon period.

Not saying he's above reproach. Just seeing some odd takes, imho. Can't understand it.
Agreed..there wasn’t a bigger Josh fan on here than me, and I think they’re all losing it. 7 games in and we look like a better program on both ends of the court.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
My guy - we ran the Princeton, it just wasn’t through Rodney and started a lil different. We played smaller and went through JaVon, but it still the same sets for the most part.
I remember Franklin having big games but I don't remember him sitting at the high post to start every single possession.

Besides, we hit 70 in 8/11 games after the @Louisville debacle. Whatever Pastner was running that last month undeniably worked - the numbers prove it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember Franklin having big games but I don't remember him sitting at the high post to start every single possession.

Besides, we hit 70 in 8/11 games after the @Louisville debacle. Whatever Pastner was running that last month undeniably worked - the numbers prove it.
The comparison seems to be a team that finally rounded into form (after struggling most of the year) 18-20 games into the season, against a team in its 7th game, with a new coach, new players - one of its best coming off injury. What am I missing?

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck

I think people are just fickle.

slugboy

Staff member

You nailed that point.