12/30 - GT @ ND

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What do you know about Huff? I’m seriously asking. Because I’m guessing you don’t know how connected he is in the Atlanta hoops scene. Or that he produced 4 major D1 prospects within the span of 4 years at St. Francis. Or that he’s one of the hardest working and most respected coaches in the GHSA right now.

The guy grew up and played college ball in Atlanta and knows this area better than almost anyone else.

Btw - name the last in-state “big-time battle” we won. It’s not like we’re absolutely crushing it with things the way they are right now.

Trust me, I'm well aware of Huff, I live in Atlanta and have followed GHSA basketball very closely for the last 25 years. So yes, I know Cabral Huff, and yes he knows Atlanta, but that doesn't mean that he has the chops to recruit at a high level, and there's nothing that leads me to believe he's capable of being a lead assistant. What on his resume says he's ready to be part of an ACC staff?

We are going to need more out of this position than someone knowing the scene in Atlanta. I mean, this person has to coach as well. Outside of taking a loaded team to a couple of state titles, at one of the lowest classifications in GHSA, and being a part of the staff at Alcorn State, he seems vastly under qualified for a lead assistant role. Using those four D I players to validate him might be fools gold. I'm pretty sure he recruited Kobi Simmons, Malik Beasley, and Kaiser Gates from other schools. I'm not sure HE developed them.

The biggest recruiting battle that we've won in the last 6-7 years is Mike Devoe.

DLab was the primary recruiter.

Last edited:

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
The main problem is they won't be able to get a capable replacement until late March, early April. That's a long time from now.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The main problem is they won't be able to get a capable replacement until late March, early April. That's a long time from now.

Without a doubt, it's a real problem and no matter how you slice it, it will have a negative impact on recruiting.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Trust me, I'm well aware of Huff, I live in Atlanta and have followed GHSA basketball very closely for the last 25 years. So yes, I know Cabral Huff, and yes he knows Atlanta, but that doesn't mean that he has the chops to recruit at a high level, and there's nothing that leads me to believe he's capable of being a lead assistant. What on his resume says he's ready to be part of an ACC staff?

We are going to need more out of this position than someone knowing the scene in Atlanta. I mean, this person has to coach as well. Outside of taking a loaded team to a couple of state titles, at one of the lowest classifications in GHSA, and being a part of the staff at Alcorn State, he seems vastly under qualified for a lead assistant role. Using those four D I players to validate him might be fools gold. I'm pretty sure he recruited Kobi Simmons, Malik Beasley, and Kaiser Gates from other schools. I'm not sure HE developed them.

The biggest recruiting battle that we've won in the last 6-7 years is Mike Devoe.

DLab was the primary recruiter.
He was also a member of the staff at Georgia Southern prior to being at Alcorn State. In his first year last year at Duluth he took their team to the Sweet Sixteen (in the largest classification in the state), the furthest that program has ever gone, and has developed Adam Flagler from an average high school player to one that is now fielding scholarship offers, albeit at smaller schools.

Also, doesn't his ability to recruit Simmons, Gates, and Beasley (along with James Banks who's now at Texas) speak volumes to his ability to relate with young players? That maybe they respect him and his opinion, and he's well-versed in establishing that connection with both the player and his parents? That's what I take out of it, not that he simply takes talent and rolls it out on the floor and gets to state titles.

I'm just pushing for Huff because I know his resume and think he'd do a great job at Tech. But if other people have specific names I'd be interested to hear them.

Btw - in the past 6-7 years we've also landed Robert Carter, Solomon Poole, MGH, and Tadric - all coveted recruits for which there was some tug of war going on.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There's a huge, gaping chasm between high-end hs coach and being a high level assistant at a place like GT. No one's saying Huff isn't qualified to be on the staff in some capacity. He, at this point, doesn't have the resume to replace what Labarrie was doing for us.

Think about it. Labarrie was basically one step away from being a college HC. Sharman White, who's resume is superior to Huff's, wasn't able to ascend to lead/high-level assistant level at Ga St.

Everybody here is aware of Huff's history. Many of us wanted him on BG's staff so you don't have to sell him to us. He's just not someone that should be hired to replace Labarrie. The program would suffer if that happened. That's just reality.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's a huge, gaping chasm between high-end hs coach and being a high level assistant at a place like GT. No one's saying Huff isn't qualified to be on the staff in some capacity. He, at this point, doesn't have the resume to replace what Labarrie was doing for us.

Think about it. Labarrie was basically one step away from being a college HC. Sharman White, who's resume is superior to Huff's, wasn't able to ascend to lead/high-level assistant level at Ga St.

Everybody here is aware of Huff's history. Many of us wanted him on BG's staff so you don't have to sell him to us. He's just not someone that should be hired to replace Labarrie. The program would suffer if that happened. That's just reality.
Thank you!