12/30 - GT @ ND

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It's easy for Dartmouth to recruit great talented natural shooters being up in the basketball hotbed of Maine and New Hampshire along with their attractive location in Hanover, NH. Plus being in as competitive a basketball conference as the Ivy League to showcase yourself for the NBA...it's not a shock they can score more than us.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We looked better than I expected in first half, but I don't think we played smart in the second.

slugboy

Staff member
We take a lot of threes without really pushing the ball inside. They screened a lot better than we did today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I completely missed the first half because of family obligations.

I watched the 2nd half. Yuck.

Did we rehire Brian Gregory and I missed the news? Our offense looked totally stagnant and inept. Not only no "vicious cutting", but no cutting at all. Either a hoisted up 3 point,r or some one-on-one play (usually by Tadic, but guys took turns at that). Lammers not only continues to try that fade-away jumper, but he now has decided (like AD) that since he once made a 3 pointer he can continue to lob them up there too. Poor offensive decision making. Is that what we get for playing a freshman point guard? Yuck.

All in all, it was rather upsetting to switch back and forth between BC-Virgina (excellent basketball by both teams) and FSU-Duke (ditto) to our game. We are not an ACC caliber team and clearly are MUCH worse than last year. I do think now we'll be lucky to win 3 ACC games....we are clear favorites to occupy the cellar in my view.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I completely missed the first half because of family obligations.

I watched the 2nd half. Yuck.

Did we rehire Brian Gregory and I missed the news? Our offense looked totally stagnant and inept. Not only no "vicious cutting", but no cutting at all. Either a hoisted up 3 point,r or some one-on-one play (usually by Tadic, but guys took turns at that). Lammers not only continues to try that fade-away jumper, but he now has decided (like AD) that since he once made a 3 pointer he can continue to lob them up there too. Poor offensive decision making. Is that what we get for playing a freshman point guard? Yuck.

All in all, it was rather upsetting to switch back and forth between BC-Virgina (excellent basketball by both teams) and FSU-Duke (ditto) to our game. We are not an ACC caliber team and clearly are MUCH worse than last year. I do think now we'll be lucky to win 3 ACC games....we are clear favorites to occupy the cellar in my view.

We’ll see that’s on you. It’s your fault that you got excited when we overachieved last year. Should have known better. It’s ok though! The 2020 is going to be a huge class for us. Some local kids are really going to like us before they commit somewhere else. Might make the tournament in 2021 before our two best players get caught on tape accepting 17 dollars worth of Halloween candy and we get put in 35 years probabtion.

It’s just life as a GT fan. Enjoy the 45 second spurts of good play every 3 weeks

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was the opposite - saw the first half but only about 1 minute of the second. At half time I was pretty happy with the effort and the way we were playing on both ends of the court. I wasn't sure it would last but it was in the zip code of the team we saw last year. Just looking at the 45 points ND scored in the second half I have to guess they woke up and started making our match up zone look slow. Even in the first half we were giving up open shots from the corner and I would guess they went back there and drove the zone.

I'll take it as a baby step forward. Still have a black hole at the 4 as far as offense is concerned but AD did play the zone well at least in the first half.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
His contribution ondefense does not offset his absolute horrendous play on offense. The inability to just hold on to the ball is a concept that just escapes me. I’d rather play Coach Schwartz at the 4.

Not hard to make a case that missed FTs and lack of any scoring at the 4 sunk us today. Not sure we have any better options but who knows. Last year we went games with Hayward or others soaking up minutes without any offensive threat. Not sure I have a good answer.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Not hard to make a case that missed FTs and lack of any scoring at the 4 sunk us today. Not sure we have any better options but who knows. Last year we went games with Hayward or others soaking up minutes without any offensive threat. Not sure I have a good answer.

Ben Lammers was a stud last year. This year has been shockingly poor for him. Love him and what he stands for, but he's regressed this year.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
I did not see the game, but wow 95% free throws last game, 39% this one. Notre Dame's free throw defence must be incredible!

Bob

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ben Lammers was a stud last year. This year has been shockingly poor for him. Love him and what he stands for, but he's regressed this year.

I don't argue he ain't what he was last year but I give him credit for playing through an ankle sprain that he likely should have sat multiple games for. I am hoping we see the old Ben before the end of the year.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Still playing with so many of Brian "shooting doesn't matter" Gregory recruits. No coach can fix that.

Shooting percentage line for today:
38.3% 30.0% 38.9%

The FT % can be fixed. Some of that is probably first ACC road game nerves, since it follows a 20/21 performance against Coppin. The other 2 are just who we are.

Bad luck that CGB got hurt right when he was getting some confidence at shooting. Bad luck is the only kind we've had, except a few seconds v. NW.

IN other news, FSU played 5 on 8 in Durham today, as one would expect.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Still playing with so many of Brian "shooting doesn't matter" Gregory recruits. No coach can fix that.

Shooting percentage line for today:
38.3% 30.0% 38.9%

The FT % can be fixed. Some of that is probably first ACC road game nerves, since it follows a 20/21 performance against Coppin. The other 2 are just who we are.

Bad luck that CGB got hurt right when he was getting some confidence at shooting. Bad luck is the only kind we've had, except a few seconds v. NW.

IN other news, FSU played 5 on 8 in Durham today, as one would expect.

Eh, FSU played poorly the last 5 minutes

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Team overall played better today than the past couple of games, except for FT shooting. Its going to be along year though. Some thoughts.

Jose is really showing that he didn't have the benefit of playing behind an experienced PG. He really needs to step up and start controlling the offense a bit more. Right now he is a good guard but not really a good point guard. Not really his fault because he shouldn't be asked to play the role that he is so soon but we need him to put some order on our offense.

Second, I really don't understand the lack of substitutions in this game. I fail to see what the coaching staff sees in Alston that warrants him playing 30 minutes while Cole and Wright getting no burn at all. His game is like a very poor man's version of Okogie and Jackson, and when we go small he is a complete afterthought on offense and has very poor movement. Cole and Wright aren't ready to play a major role on an ACC team, but the sooner we get them experience the sooner they will get there. The problem the last staff had is trying to put bandaids on the problem through grad transfers. Same thing is happening with Alston. We need to bite the bullet and get Cole and Wright the experience they will need.

Third, this would have been a very different game if we hit our freethrows. In fact that was the major difference. They didn't really shoot any better. They had the advantage in rebounding. We had the advantage in TOs. While it sucks to lose, there does seem some hope that the difference was mainly freethrows in this game.

slugboy

Staff member
Team overall played better today than the past couple of games, except for FT shooting. Its going to be along year though. Some thoughts.

Jose is really showing that he didn't have the benefit of playing behind an experienced PG. He really needs to step up and start controlling the offense a bit more. Right now he is a good guard but not really a good point guard. Not really his fault because he shouldn't be asked to play the role that he is so soon but we need him to put some order on our offense.

Second, I really don't understand the lack of substitutions in this game. I fail to see what the coaching staff sees in Alston that warrants him playing 30 minutes while Cole and Wright getting no burn at all. His game is like a very poor man's version of Okogie and Jackson, and when we go small he is a complete afterthought on offense and has very poor movement. Cole and Wright aren't ready to play a major role on an ACC team, but the sooner we get them experience the sooner they will get there. The problem the last staff had is trying to put bandaids on the problem through grad transfers. Same thing is happening with Alston. We need to bite the bullet and get Cole and Wright the experience they will need.

Third, this would have been a very different game if we hit our freethrows. In fact that was the major difference. They didn't really shoot any better. They had the advantage in rebounding. We had the advantage in TOs. While it sucks to lose, there does seem some hope that the difference was mainly freethrows in this game.

I guess our next PG will have the benefit of having Alvarado. He might be our best player out there as a freshman. I saw him directing traffic on offense and the other players (Okogie, Tad?) just weren’t on the same page.

Cole and Wright just aren’t ready yet. The game was within reach for a while. Then, it wasn’t. If they get that experience, it might mean losing a few games we might have pulled out. It’d be a bold coaching move.

By the numbers, better FT% would have made it a game. But I feel like having more interior offense would have helped more. We couldn’t get good position near the basket, so we shot threes that we couldn’t rebound. I miss Lammers and his mid range jumper that’s gone AWOL. I’d love more of that game from other players, instead of low percentage shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk