12/15 Early Signing Day: GT

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t relay understand how much value a freshman at JSU brings to a NIL deal. Deon get’s 10 times more publicity than the school or players. This is just turning into legal bagmen
That is what it has been from the jump. To think that NIL would be anything different than legal bagmen is just incorrect. People or companies with connection to the schools or that want a connection to people at the school (like Deion Sanders) are going to "pay" student athletes to use their "likeness". There is no definition as to what the "use" pertaining to NIL compensation has to be. We are in the wild west with this. Good luck to the NCAA getting back any kind of semblance of amateurism from this new world we are in.

I think college football is very similary to European Soccer Leagues now. We are essentially professional/semi-professional teams with no salary cap and potentially limitless NIL money to hand out to players.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well, it happened. Kid signed with JSU. Now college football is totally, completely, irrevocably all about the money. Lord have mercy on us all.

The money is just "legal" now but, make no mistake, it's always been about that.

As I so eloquently posted in that other thread (if I do say so myself), can we just call it a secondary sports league and stop pretending with the "school" stuff?

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
TRAVIS HUNTER IS SIGNING WITH JSU OVER FSU BAHAHAHAHAHAH. THERES NO WAY NORVELL REALLY MESSED UP SIGNING THE #1 RECRUIT IN THE NATION THAT BADLY GEEZ. Just remember folks, be mad at CGC all you want, but he didn’t lose the #1 player in the class to Jacksonville State University.
this happened the day AFTER FSU gave an extension to Mike Norvell- remember Norvell has less wins than Taggart who was fired, not extended. So FSU fans are losing their minds, particularly since they wre thinking they fire Norvell after this year and get Deion, now Norvell is extended and Deion stealing their dudes

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
this happened the day AFTER FSU gave an extension to Mike Norvell- remember Norvell has less wins than Taggart who was fired, not extended. So FSU fans are losing their minds, particularly since they wre thinking they fire Norvell after this year and get Deion, now Norvell is extended and Deion stealing their dudes

Excellent point. They were all indignant about Taggart being beneath them.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Look the NIL stuff is a symptom, not the cause, of NCAA moving away over the last few decades from having academic integrity. It is, what it is, and while I disagree with it that won't change things.

My hope is that we see a return at some point to the concept of kids going to school to get an education, but until then - the craziness is going to likely get worse before it gets better.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It probably didn't help that the FSU offensive coordinator announced a move to Oregon 1st thing in the morning on signing day!

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Hate the game not the player. Playing by the rules that were set forth. Kid and Dieon have to be laughing. Huge publicity for JSU and recruiting springboard for their football program. Going to be interesting to see how well the kid is received at JSU by the other players. I also wonder what kind of insurance policy JSU has to provide Hunter with incase he gets injured in his 1 year deal (probably) before he transfers out next year. You got to know that won’t be his only NIL deal being a BIG fish in a small pond at JSU.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The money is just "legal" now but, make no mistake, it's always been about that.

As I so eloquently posted in that other thread (if I do say so myself), can we just call it a secondary sports league and stop pretending with the "school" stuff?
I agree with you but you act like this is new stuff. Yes, the money is legal now. But we’ve been pretending on the school part for decades. I’ve posted that many times before and then guys always blast me for it. Football and basketball players do not go to D1 school for education. I know many past D1 players. A small minority look at it like we do, ie. the 40 year decision. Most just want the pats on the back for “going D1“ as life long bragging rights then put sports #1 and school a distant 20th priority.

I have no issue with NIL because it’s been happening for decades. I was 10 when the new car showed up in Herschel’s driveway. I like that the bagmen are now done in the open and schools like GT who should have been “cheating” (I call competing) can now do it too. Maybe we would have gotten Tuitt back then if we were willing to play the bagman game like ND. And I still say that the portal will help schools like GT WAY more than it will hurt them. Kids need playing time and the big boys only have so much playing time to offer. Does anyone really think this kid who signed with Deion will stay there? Come on. He’ll portal out next November.

And he better hire a security team because now that the press is blasting out his business he’ll be a marked man in Jackson.