11 years of building a program...whissed away 1 season

Deleted member 2897

We spent the 2nd lowest in the country on football. We renewed the fugging Russell contract. We didn't hire more resources. We let everything go stale. AND STILL we won an ACC Title, won the Coastal 3x, went to 2 Orange Bowls. And don't forget our own school wouldn't even support CPJ. In CPJs 11 years, 22 teams had a Bye Week before playing us. FUGGING TWENTY TWO. We've only had 8 or 9 Saturday night games in the last 11 years. Less than 1 per season. All of these things negatively impact our revenue and win/loss record. Hell under MBob it was like he didn't even have an AD. Good gawd almighty people. Schools like Clemson spend twice as much as we do. TWICE AS MUCH. The only school we compete with money-wise is Wake Forest, who has 4,500 total undergrads. My gawd. We got screwed again by the ACC in this year's bowl game, and not a single athletic department or administration employee has stood up for our team AT ALL to the ACC.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
There are a lot more other than the 97% on here who don't want Whiz

Out of our 28000 season tickets holders do you really think everyone thinks like you and few guys on this board. It’s already been proven most in this board don’t even attend games. Some of that are very vocal about the couching hire, 95% of our season ticket holders will support whoever Titan hires and the other 5% will grumble and buy their tickets anyhow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
If big time support came with whiz then he, like a lot of coaches can win here.

If, for some reason, he is the only coach that would entice that type of support then I’m interested in hearing more.

Animal02

Banned
Out of our 28000 season tickets holders do you really think everyone thinks like you and few guys on this board. It’s already been proven most in this board don’t even attend games. Some of that are very vocal about the couching hire, 95% of our season ticket holders will support whoever Titan hires and the other 5% will grumble and buy their tickets anyhow

And the big money people will still sit in the AC under the upper east drinking their cocktails leaving their seats emepty for great TV exposure. :rolleyes:

Unlike some on this board, I support our coach whoever he is and plan to continue buying season tickets as long as I am physically able to go to the games. So I will support Whiz if he is hired, but I won't like it, and I doubt we will win a single game next year under him.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
We spent the 2nd lowest in the country on football. We renewed the fugging Russell contract. We didn't hire more resources. We let everything go stale. AND STILL we won an ACC Title, won the Coastal 3x, went to 2 Orange Bowls. And don't forget our own school wouldn't even support CPJ. In CPJs 11 years, 22 teams had a Bye Week before playing us. FUGGING TWENTY TWO. We've only had 8 or 9 Saturday night games in the last 11 years. Less than 1 per season. All of these things negatively impact our revenue and win/loss record. Hell under MBob it was like he didn't even have an AD. Good gawd almighty people. Schools like Clemson spend twice as much as we do. TWICE AS MUCH. The only school we compete with money-wise is Wake Forest, who has 4,500 total undergrads. My gawd. We got screwed again by the ACC in this year's bowl game, and not a single athletic department or administration employee has stood up for our team AT ALL to the ACC.

You forgot the most important metric at least in my eyes and probably most of the players'... the graduation rate; although by itself it can be misrepresented to judge their success post college, but at least they made it through with hopefully a worthwhile degree and foundation to back it up.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot of chatter about "this coach" or "that coach" and the legacy that CPJ built.

I think CPJ brought us stability. He didn't bring us a "program" in the sense that are simply plugging in a new coach. There is a lot to be done to upgrade pretty much everything.

Tech put itself into a bind with infrastructure debt, bad coaching hires, and poor merchandising. That significantly reduced what it could spend and frankly, CPJ was a solution not only because of his offense, but also because he was priced right.

Everything I have heard about TStan is that he is 100% engaged to build an enduring great PROGRAM. And if KW is part of that to get the money ... well, so was Gene Stallings. (Same arguments ... who would want him? He was a failed NFL coach. No ties to Bama, etc etc etc.)

Again. I don't care. I just want to win.

Animal02

Banned
There's a lot of chatter about "this coach" or "that coach" and the legacy that CPJ built.

I think CPJ brought us stability. He didn't bring us a "program" in the sense that are simply plugging in a new coach. There is a lot to be done to upgrade pretty much everything.

Tech put itself into a bind with infrastructure debt, bad coaching hires, and poor merchandising. That significantly reduced what it could spend and frankly, CPJ was a solution not only because of his offense, but also because he was priced right.

Everything I have heard about TStan is that he is 100% engaged to build an enduring great PROGRAM. And if KW is part of that to get the money ... well, so was Gene Stallings. (Same arguments ... who would want him? He was a failed NFL coach. No ties to Bama, etc etc etc.)

What you are talking about is the AD department rebuilding.....not Football.
It would be a tragedy if football is sacrificed (by allowing boosters to control decisions) in order to get $$$$ to right the AD department past screw ups and neglect.

rhino gold

Georgia Tech Fan

Just to set the record straight, Gene Stallings did have ties to Bama (assistant coach from 1958-1964), and more importantly to Bryant. That was why he was hired. The moneyed alumni was behind the hire. Will the moneyed alumni back KW? That's the question.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What you are talking about is the AD department rebuilding.....not Football.
It would be a tragedy if football is sacrificed (by allowing boosters to control decisions) in order to get $$$$ to right the AD department past screw ups and neglect.

I respectfully disagree. Who do you think runs the athletic dining halls? The tutoring program? Raising money for facilities? Runs the facilities? Runs media relations? That's not the football coach, I can assure you. And yet ... ALL those things are necessary for a sport like football to succeed. That is why it is called a "program" ... just like program management in manufacturing.

And yes. I believe in the end, if TStan looks out 5 years and says, "I need $300 million to be a Top 10 program in five years and to get there, I will have to suck it up with X" ... he'll do it. As long as he has a set of metrics and shows that we are consistently improving the performance of our teams ... yay. But, I don't think that's been the case. I could be wrong. But we are way too inconsistent to say we have a "program" ... at least one that repeats.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just to set the record straight, Gene Stallings did have ties to Bama (assistant coach from 1958-1964), and more importantly to Bryant. That was why he was hired. The moneyed alumni was behind the hire. Will the moneyed alumni back KW? That's the question.

You are correct. He played and coached for Bear but ... there was a lot of negative blowback on him for the hire. Ultimately, Bama loved him because he was the closest to Bear in style and manner and ... he won.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
This forum has been hilarious ever since the UGA loss.

I think Whisenhunt’s main detractors are that he’s seemingly being interviewed for his GT connections and that he’s a pro coach.

Neither of these detractors means he can’t do the job. I’ll be supportive of a Coach Whisenhunt until he gives me reason to not be supportive anymore.

Animal02

Banned
I respectfully disagree. Who do you think runs the athletic dining halls? The tutoring program? Raising money for facilities? Runs the facilities? Runs media relations? That's not the football coach, I can assure you. And yet ... ALL those things are necessary for a sport like football to succeed. That is why it is called a "program" ... just like program management in manufacturing.

And yes. I believe in the end, if TStan looks out 5 years and says, "I need $300 million to be a Top 10 program in five years and to get there, I will have to suck it up with X" ... he'll do it. As long as he has a set of metrics and shows that we are consistently improving the performance of our teams ... yay. But, I don't think that's been the case. I could be wrong. But we are way too inconsistent to say we have a "program" ... at least one that repeats.
Inconsistent? We had one bad year....riddled with injuries among other things, and one that missed a chance of being .500 because of a cancelled game. Out of how many? That is not inconsistent.