11 years of building a program...whissed away 1 season

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Pressley Harvin will be first team All American after punting an NCAA record number of times. That's all I got.
Oh God, I am not looking forward to punting on 4th & 1 from the opponents side of the field. There's nothing more NFL than that. At least we have a kick-*** punter (remember how much of a weapon Durant Brooks was for us during the Gailey years?).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Oh God, I am not looking forward to punting on 4th & 1 from the opponents side of the field. There's nothing more NFL than that. At least we have a kick-*** punter (remember how much of a weapon Durant Brooks was for us during the Gailey years?).

Not doing just that probably cost us the pitt game a couple of years back.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not doing just that probably cost us the pitt game a couple of years back.
And I'm sure looking back you can very easily pick out a couple examples of instances where us picking up a crucial 4th down directly led to us winning games. I'd honestly prefer to have a middle ground (maybe don't go for it on 4th and long from our own 25), but in general I support aggressive, play-to-win football like trusting your offense to pick up a yard when needed.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Just thinking out loud ... but wouldn't KW be an asset for kids who wanted to potentially play NFL? "Come to Tech", KW would say. "And I can prepare you for what life in the NFL is like. I know. I went to Tech and coached in the NFL for 30+ years. But, in the event you can't make it in the NFL, you'll have a great degree and a network that will make you successful."

Get the Tech NFL alumni involved and it would be an interesting angle. Surround him with a fabulous staff. Could work.

Unfortunately, that was the sentiment most of us hoped for with the Gailey and al groh hires. Didn't happen

Animal02

Banned
Just thinking out loud ... but wouldn't KW be an asset for kids who wanted to potentially play NFL? "Come to Tech", KW would say. "And I can prepare you for what life in the NFL is like. I know. I went to Tech and coached in the NFL for 30+ years. But, in the event you can't make it in the NFL, you'll have a great degree and a network that will make you successful."

Get the Tech NFL alumni involved and it would be an interesting angle. Surround him with a fabulous staff. Could work.
Yes, let's base hiring a coach on the 2.5% .:rolleyes:

Animal02

Banned
From my corporate days, we would always have a slate of 3-5 candidates for every role. Hundreds of them. But, with athletics ... who knows? I'm sure most athletic associations are like this. I heard they were stung the last time they used a search firm ... which is why they decided to do it themselves. Pros and cons to each method.
I am not suggesting using a search firm.....but at least seriously consider 3-5 different people.

Animal02

Banned
I think there are legit reasons for not putting GT in the Belk, Military, or Pinstripe that have little to do with respect or disrespect. VT will be a much bigger draw in Annapolis than GT. Miami the same in NYC. I think the Belk Bowl wanted UVA because they will come to Charlotte and stay for several days. GT fans may drive up for the day and return.
You don't think that Tech in the Military Bowl would have drawn with CPJ in his final game? Hell, I bet half the Navy would have been there

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes, let's base hiring a coach on the 2.5% .:rolleyes:

It's actually less. But what we know is that Tech ranks 61st out of 116 teams in sending talent to the NFL. If you want to be a top program, you've got to either recruit or develop and regrettably ... it looks we don't do either. And that's fine ... if your goal is to be a 0.600 team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's actually less. But what we know is that Tech ranks 61st out of 116 teams in sending talent to the NFL. If you want to be a top program, you've got to either recruit or develop and regrettably ... it looks we don't do either. And that's fine ... if your goal is to be a 0.600 team.

We have consistently performed well better than 61st. What point are you trying to make?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
e have consistently performed well better than 61st. What point are you trying to make?

According to the NFL, Tech ranks 61st in the number of athletes in the NFL. TStan's point was that to compete at at Top 25 level, we would have develop 2 stars into 4 or 5 stars by the time they are seniors. It stands to reason that we should rank around 25 if that is the case.

So ... my point is that we either recruit better or develop better, or at least to the point of getting to the 25th percentile. Yes? No?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Here's Clemson for a comparison. Now, I'm not saying we should be Clemson, I'm just demonstrating what I mean by "consistency" ..

View attachment 4655
Um...that's not consistent. I'm an old-school process engineer, and that upward trend is definitely an indication of significant process change and is 'out of control' versus the baseline. ;) While desirable, it's actually not consistent!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Um...that's not consistent. I'm an old-school process engineer, and that upward trend is definitely an indication of significant process change and is 'out of control' versus the baseline. ;) While desirable, it's actually not consistent!

Look at the trend prior to the change. That's consistent. Then, there is a process change (aka, special cause). And you are right ... it is improving but not consistent.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Nearly every coach goes for it on 4th and 1 inside the 40 and a lot of them go for it typically inside the 50 too. Yes, maybe even the next guy we hire.

This thread is ridiculous and a lot of people posting in here are delusional.

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
Nearly every coach goes for it on 4th and 1 inside the 40 and a lot of them go for it typically inside the 50 too. Yes, maybe even the next guy we hire.

This thread is ridiculous and a lot of people posting in here are delusional.
Not to mention having a dependable FG kicker. Beside Harrison how many did we have? Lots of schools have kickers that have the leg to give it a shot from long range on 4th down.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
According to the NFL, Tech ranks 61st in the number of athletes in the NFL. TStan's point was that to compete at at Top 25 level, we would have develop 2 stars into 4 or 5 stars by the time they are seniors. It stands to reason that we should rank around 25 if that is the case.

So ... my point is that we either recruit better or develop better, or at least to the point of getting to the 25th percentile. Yes? No?

If your point was that we need to recruit better or develop better (perhaps we could add scheme better) to do consistently better than we have, NFL placement is irrelevant. It's a tautology.

If your point was what we have to do to put more place more players in the NFL, that's not our raison d'etre. Winning while doing right by our SA's, whether getting them drafted or not, is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If your point was that we need to recruit better or develop better (perhaps we could add scheme better) to do consistently better than we have, NFL placement is irrelevant. It's a tautology.

If your point was what we have to do to put more place more players in the NFL, that's not our raison d'etre. Winning while doing right by our SA's, whether getting them drafted or not, is.

I’m not articulating this well.

It’s not about the NFL. It’s about whether we have the talent to compete as a Top 25 program. If our talent comparedto our peers is at the 61st percentile (using the NFL asa proxy), then we don’t. That was the point I was making.