1/6 - MBB vs. Boston College

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We still have trouble with opponents press defense. That was the half time adjustment by BC. They saw the FSU game tape. Just got us out of our O rythm. And we need to play better D. BUT, this is a good group of players and still have a chance for a good season.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Unacceptable to lose THAT game at Home with a 16 point lead against Boston College.
Starts at the top and CDS earned a very bad grade for this result. I think he’s taking program in right direction, and if stay the course this program will be relevant again. But today, with a 16 point lead, and no real foul trouble - Coach earned a D- today. With the control of game, the outcome is comparable to UMass Lowell. Simply disappointing today.
We certainly have trouble holding leads and that's GT's problem. Stoudamire has to figure out how to stall runs with personnel changes or offense/defense changes.

That being said like the 1st half, BC was tired. We went on a huge run once they got tired and may have been poised to do the same. That review gave them rest time they deparately needed & couldn't get themselves because they had no timeouts. It basically took a scenario where we had some advantage in a 3 pt game and turned it into a scenario where we needed many more things to go right to have a chance. Then the blown traveling call and subsequent T. Two game changers and both against us. Any chance we had after the first "situation" quickly evaporated after the second "situation".

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That was a walk no doubt about it

I have never heard of a rule that eliminates a prior call for a later call. I could see both being called as the hook and hole being after the play. But I can’t see how the hook and hold would eliminate the foul that was called beforehand.

Can anyone explain this? I've literally never seen that happen. It logically makes no sense.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That is probably the end of our NCAA Tournament dreams. Just way too lethargic coming out of halftime.
We really never were going to be an NCAAT Team. We have some nice players but we really lack the special player who can will a team to a win. Some of the young guys may get there if they stay around long enough.

You have to look at how bad we were the past 2 years, what we returned and what we brought in. Reeves has been very good. Ndongo has been great at times, ok at others and a freshmen at others. Really high upside though. George is solid for a freshmen PG but the ACC has a lot of experienced very good PGs. Kyle is a nice player but not a starting caliber ACC PG.

Debo is a nice off the bench player. Kelly has talent. He is struggling this year.
Not having a full strength Terry really hurt.

The rest, are just guys.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Terrible idea. It was a clear hook & hold. And I thought the non traveling call that led to the tech was also debatable and, in fact, I was leaning towards the official being right. The officials were actually right significantly more than wrong in this game. The close calls are being exaggerated cause of the frustrations that GT let Bc have the lead at that point.

What does holding officials accountable to you mean? You’ll be surprised that officials are held accountable in many ways. This is not a game to “punish” the refs. They called a good game. I’m sure their bosses will provide info on what they can do better.
Officials are only held accountable when they lose post season assignments. I should never know the names of refs, but I do because over time I know they suck. Teddy V, Lenny Wirtz are just at the top of the list. This was not a well officiated game.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Can anyone explain this? I've literally never seen that happen. It logically makes no sense.
Yeah, even with the hook and hold, I thought we should have gotten 2 FTs, then they shoot their free throws and get the ball.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
That was a Jekyll and Hyde game. Great first half, then gave up half a hundred plus in the 2nd half. I like our Jekyll team. Not so much, the Hyde group.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

In general, if a foul that is assessed to a player is deemed on review to be a result of a flagrant foul committed on them then the foul can be taken off. My guess is the initial foul was the defender having his arm up high around Kelly's neck, and then on replay the ref deemed that action was a result of the flagrant hook and hold they called Kelly for.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
That’s now 2 of the last 3 games a player has given us 30. We haven’t had a player score 30 yet this season.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
In general, if a foul that is assessed to a player is deemed on review to be a result of a flagrant foul committed on them then the foul can be taken off. My guess is the initial foul was the defender having his arm up high around Kelly's neck, and then on replay the ref deemed that action was a result of the flagrant hook and hold they called Kelly for.
I would agree if the decision was the foul was the result of the hook and hold but I thought it was pretty obvious it was foul and then hook and hold. Did you see it differently?

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
We really never were going to be an NCAAT Team. We have some nice players but we really lack the special player who can will a team to a win. Some of the young guys may get there if they stay around long enough.

You have to look at how bad we were the past 2 years, what we returned and what we brought in. Reeves has been very good. Ndongo has been great at times, ok at others and a freshmen at others. Really high upside though. George is solid for a freshmen PG but the ACC has a lot of experienced very good PGs. Kyle is a nice player but not a starting caliber ACC PG.

Debo is a nice off the bench player. Kelly has talent. He is struggling this year.
Not having a full strength Terry really hurt.

The rest, are just guys.

Very much agree with this. Just add in what the recruiting future is looking like.

Two basketball quotes on “success” that I am patiently mindful of. They refer to what I look for and believe I am seeing taking place every game. Patience!!! It isn’t always easy to have when you’re 75 yo, and especially after a tough, disappointing loss. But it got me this far.

“A lot of people notice when you succeed, but they don’t see what it takes to get there.”
—Dawn Staley

“A successful person never loses… they either win or learn!”
—John Calipari

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Yes, we've all seen that happen. That's not what happened here, that's my confusion.

If the player hit Kelly because Kelly hooked his arm first, that's a foul on Kelly (obviously this is what they determined).

I'm saying the reason the players arm was hooked was because he hit Kelly in the first place. It's somewhat galling or just plain terrible that they chose to ignore that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This ^^^