1/6 - MBB vs. Boston College

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Glad to have a coach capable of napalm
Yeah, but did he throw on his own team, giving points to the opposition at the end of a game that at that point was still contested? It certainly did not spark his team.

Meanwhile, the officials went home with a full paycheck, none the worse for ware.

Showing-up officials on the court, like showing-up players on the court, only engenders ill-will. It looks good for the angry fans, but there are better ways.

Does everyone agree that that was a good 'T' to take? Should the team have played with more of a chip after the sequence of extreme officials' meddling?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
the-movie-quotes-memes-Yondu-Udonta-Sorry-boy-his-men-happens-those-what-cross-him-Kraglin-Captain-s-gotta-teach-stuff-Best-L

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
You are typing in tongues, or perhaps just badly missing your mark. But I'm sure it is quite useful .... to somebody ... somewhere.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of posters are hung up on losing a 16 point lead. This happens all the time. College basketball is a game of streaks. We were up 16 because we had a 14-0 run. They came back because of a similar run. Anytime you have a 14-0 run, you can almost be sure the other team will respond.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
GTMBB losses always bum me out but this one literally ruined the last 24ish hours of my weekend lmao. I'm glad we have a quick turnaround with ND on Tuesday because I need a chance at a palate cleanser stat.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GTMBB losses always bum me out but this one literally ruined the last 24ish hours of my weekend lmao. I'm glad we have a quick turnaround with ND on Tuesday because I need a chance at a palate cleanser stat.
I walked out of the arena pissed off. I’m not one to hang an L on refs but they absolutely inserted themselves and changed the game. I'm a big believer (in all replay), if it’s not crystal clear, stick with the call you made. It took a 10 min replay to overturn the call, and it still wasn’t clear.

The female ref missed several calls, including 2-3 travels. That’s why Damon blew up because he had talked to her and Ayers about it several times. On one occasion during a timeout, he asked her about a travel that she didn’t call (did the travel motion with his hands) and then walked the length of the court to have a conversation with Ayers. He was visibly pissed off, as he should have been because they were very inconsistent.

The black dude came down to chat with Damon toward the end, and Damon just turned his back and walked down to the baseline. Personally, I love the fire and competitive nature of our head coach, we have lacked that dating back to Blewitt.

My biggest issue with the officials is they let them play the first 30 mins and then started calling everything, and we seemed to be on the receiving end. We had our chances regardless, and we just have to learn to play a full 40.

In short, **** that officiating crew, I hope we don’t see them again this year, especially Jenna!

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I walked out of the arena pissed off. I’m not one to hang an L on refs but they absolutely inserted themselves and changed the game. I'm a big believer (in all replay), if it’s not crystal clear, stick with the call you made. It took a 10 min replay to overturn the call, and it still wasn’t clear.

The female ref missed several calls, including 2-3 travels. That’s why Damon blew up because he had talked to her and Ayers about it several times. On one occasion during a timeout, he asked her about a travel that she didn’t call (did the travel motion with his hands) and then walked the length of the court to have a conversation with Ayers. He was visibly pissed off, as he should have been because they were very inconsistent.

The black dude came down to chat with Damon toward the end, and Damon just turned his back and walked down to the baseline. Personally, I love the fire and competitive nature of our head coach, we have lacked that dating back to Blewitt.

My biggest issue with the officials is they let them play the first 30 mins and then started calling everything, and we seemed to be on the receiving end. We had our chances regardless, and we just have to learn to play a full 40.

In short, **** that officiating crew, I hope we don’t see them again this year, especially Jenna!
Unfortunately the best crews will call the top games. Where will we be mid season? We might get the better refs when we play Duke or UNC on TV.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
All I can say is that this was a really disappointing loss. The defense was BAD, the officiating was BAD, and the meltdown that we all knew was coming was BAD. Boston College is not a bad team, but if we want to level up in the ACC, these are the games we have to win at home, and we didn't get it done.

This game was like a microcosm of the season. The flashes of good play are like teases with this team...they show you that they can play at a high level and raise your expectations, only to then revert to a baseline of poor play.

I will say this--as much as I hated the run that BC went on to come back, I did appreciate the middle of the second half were there was an increased intensity in the team and in the arena. We had our chance to take it back and just didn't, and then the two bad calls by the ref ended us. Kudos to Sturdivant--I wish we got that precision and effort from him every game. He played his heart out and wanted it. Him and Reeves tried to put us on their backs and will us to a win...but it didn't happen.

We move on to ND now, but we will want this back later. The chances to make this a special season are slipping away.

Go Jackets!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I didn't see all the interaction you mentioned but it doesn't surprise me. You can't argue that CDS didn't deserve a T as he was way out of the coaching box and barking pretty hard. But I expect Ayers called it to try and protect his young official. If that had been a veteran official I expect he wouldn't have called it from across the floor and would have let the close official make his/her own call about the T. But Ayers as I said was going to protect a young official regardless of right/wrong.

I too thought the refs impacted the game but I am more focused/concerned about the way we played the second half - an inability to match BC's increased intensity with an 18 point lead. BC played intense and chippy - both sides of what should be called - and we didn't match it. It has been a recurring problem. That is our issue and bigger than the refs (grrr). I was happy to see CDS get pissed during this game as I have been worried / wondering if the team wasn't taking on the stoic personna I was seeing on TV from CDS. I don't think a coach has to go all Bobby Knight/K all the time, but I am not sure stoic is the best college approach. Getting this right is to me the far and away number 1 issue to address the rest of the year (playing with intensity not necessarily the coach's approach - I just find that relationship interesting).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see all the interaction you mentioned but it doesn't surprise me. You can't argue that CDS didn't deserve a T as he was way out of the coaching box and barking pretty hard. But I expect Ayers called it to try and protect his young official. If that had been a veteran official I expect he wouldn't have called it from across the floor and would have let the close official make his/her own call about the T. But Ayers as I said was going to protect a young official regardless of right/wrong.

I too thought the refs impacted the game but I am more focused/concerned about the way we played the second half - an inability to match BC's increased intensity with an 18 point lead. BC played intense and chippy - both sides of what should be called - and we didn't match it. It has been a recurring problem. That is our issue and bigger than the refs (grrr). I was happy to see CDS get pissed during this game as I have been worried / wondering if the team wasn't taking on the stoic personna I was seeing on TV from CDS. I don't think a coach has to go all Bobby Knight/K all the time, but I am not sure stoic is the best college approach. Getting this right is to me the far and away number 1 issue to address the rest of the year (playing with intensity not necessarily the coach's approach - I just find that relationship interesting).
CDS always talks about toughness and taking to coaching in all his press comments. It's clear he does not think this team has gotten to where he wants them to in either category yet. This is a big transition year for the BB team. As you said they show flashes of being very good, They are unable to maintain that for a full 40 minutes so far. One of these games we will put it together for a full 40 minutes. That will be fun to watch.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
You can't argue that CDS didn't deserve a T as he was way out of the coaching box and barking pretty hard.
Son: What did CDS do to get the T?
Me: It wasn't what he did son, it's what he said, in proper etiquette coach speak of course.
Son: (former player for his coach father) Oh yeah, I get it now.