1/6 - MBB vs. Boston College

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I watched much of the first half from my phone, but didn’t get to see the second. Not sure it matters though - giving up 57 in a half to anyone for any reason is inexcusable.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I watched much of the first half from my phone, but didn’t get to see the second. Not sure it matters though - giving up 57 in a half to anyone for any reason is inexcusable.

Ah, that's the problem. I've now moved from blaming the refs to blaming you. Clearly you have powers and doomed us when you stopped watching. Why do you hate us, bke?

(Seriously though, totally agree with you comment re. giving up 57 pts. Ridic.)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was at the game, and I am not the type of guy who complains about officials but that was the absolute worst officiating Ive seen. The calls at the end of the game were a joke.
With the the refs being drunk and BC shooting 70% from deep in the second half, you get this type of outcome.

It didn't help that we came out in the second half thinking that we had won the game with that run at the end of the first half.

Agree with you though... That was some of the worst officiating I have seen. I'm not going to blame it as our reason for the loss, but it definitely contributed.

They were bad the entire game, especially the female. She missed several travels and the one right after the overturned call was brutal.

I cannot blame Damon for losing his mind, he had been in their ear about it all night. To have it happen in such a crucial time, right in front of her, and it got missed is unacceptable.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
ESPN has the replay and it's not a good look for the officials. The only thing they have as a defense for their conduct is Kelly's arm went up after he got clotheslined, for the briefest of moments it appeared to be a hook type fashion. It's definitely not the textbook foul the NCAA has on their website. They were watching Kelly get abused all game long, the announcers kept mentioning it, the pivotal call just so happened during the worst of the worst and at a critical time. What could have been a simple review to see if Kelly got hit in the neck or face on initial contact turned into an exhaustive review, ultimately they cherry picked one fraction of a second move by Kelly out of all the others that was unimpactful from all the other contact. The refs chose to make a spectacle of it to defend their girl. They doubled down a few minutes later. That ref was likely getting abused by the fans & our bench, they probably felt compelled to do something. Just bad. You'll hear ZERO out of the ACC and they will take no action. That's the worst part.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Well the refs worked for us towards the end of the Penn St, but unfortunately in similar fashion involving the same player it didn't for the BC game. I have accepted it as an alternating possession. We will get the next jacked up call to determine the game because the arrow is in our favor.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like the thread title didn't work this time. What next for the title/ needs an update?

I watched part of first half and then went to to dinner. You guys just let it all fall apart :(

Hopefully the women win and make the NCAAT. And baseball is coming. Losing to BC @ home really hurt.

slugboy

Staff member
Looks like the thread title didn't work this time. What next for the title/ needs an update?

I watched part of first half and then went to to dinner. You guys just let it all fall apart :(

Hopefully the women win and make the NCAAT. And baseball is coming. Losing to BC @ home really hurt.
I’ll make a small change. I’ll make it “GT MBB vs Notre Dame” and add in the GT.

For those of you who believe in bad luck—someone created a second thread with the wrong title, which was merged in main thread

From here on out, I’ll nuke threads with the wrong title to maintain our luck

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The perimeter defense by GT is simply lazy. There is a difference between settling for being "around" the shooter and actually contesting a shot. Combine that with also not really being much good at preventing dribble penetration, and you get BC hitting at a ridiculous 67% clip from the floor in the second half and nearly 56% from the floor and 52% from three. You don't see numbers like that when a team is competing defensively. And it was the same thing we saw in the second half of the FSU game.

B.C. made half time adjustments to their D and Gt didn't answer. B.C. scored 20 points off of 11 GT turnovers, with Kelly alone having 5 turnovers, two were critical, momentum changers. He continues to show up on the negative side of the ledger.

Can't defend like we have seen in the last two games and expect to win an ACC game. The loss of composure and self-destruct mode we showed at the pivotal moments of games has got to be stowed. Stoudamire talked about "competing" at the pre-game press conference, and he was right. That is the issue. The opposition is showing more competitive toughness than we are.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
With the the refs being drunk and BC shooting 70% from deep in the second half, you get this type of outcome.

It didn't help that we came out in the second half thinking that we had won the game with that run at the end of the first half.

Agree with you though... That was some of the worst officiating I have seen. I'm not going to blame it as our reason for the loss, but it definitely contributed.

They were bad the entire game, especially the female. She missed several travels and the one right after the overturned call was brutal.

I cannot blame Damon for losing his mind, he had been in their ear about it all night. To have it happen in such a crucial time, right in front of her, and it got missed is unacceptable.
Are palming and traveling even called anymore.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
B.C. scored 20 points off of 11 GT turnovers, with Kelly alone having 5 turnovers, two were critical, momentum changers. He continues to show up on the negative side of the ledger.
I thought he was doing the little things to help us? At least that’s what posters are claiming here. In the past 3 games, he’s had 0 steals, 10 turnovers, 9 fouls, 4 assists, and 1 block. Notice I didn’t mention a single shooting stat. Maybe the posters here are referring to the 1.5 offensive boards per game. Is he taking a significant number of charges or something?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Kelly was a completely ineffectual defender last year and he has worked hard to be an average defender. He wasn't great on the boards against B.C. but he has made himself into a good wing rebounder.

But he is really struggling with Stoudamire's offensive "system" and he is in a good play-bad play rut where he just can't get into any consistent groove. If he continues to scuffle as badly as he has, then I half expect to see him transfer for his Senior year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This was another "youth" game.Both from players and coach efforts..You can't give up a 16 pt lead AT HOME and allow 70% shooting--somehow make the adjustment. Weird-- and Sturdy almost with a triple-D..
Live and learn,I hope.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The perimeter defense by GT is simply lazy. There is a difference between settling for being "around" the shooter and actually contesting a shot. Combine that with also not really being much good at preventing dribble penetration, and you get BC hitting at a ridiculous 67% clip from the floor in the second half and nearly 56% from the floor and 52% from three. You don't see numbers like that when a team is competing defensively. And it was the same thing we saw in the second half of the FSU game.

B.C. made half time adjustments to their D and Gt didn't answer. B.C. scored 20 points off of 11 GT turnovers, with Kelly alone having 5 turnovers, two were critical, momentum changers. He continues to show up on the negative side of the ledger.

Can't defend like we have seen in the last two games and expect to win an ACC game. The loss of composure and self-destruct mode we showed at the pivotal moments of games has got to be stowed. Stoudamire talked about "competing" at the pre-game press conference, and he was right. That is the issue. The opposition is showing more competitive toughness than we are.
So hard on our guys. They’re trying their best. Do you even say nice things?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
apparently the fan base is on an island here. Most neutral CBB personalities seem to agree with the hook and hold call which I confused with the tech. I mean…..I don’t fully understand the rules I guess. On the street what happened to MK is assault.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
apparently the fan base is on an island here. Most neutral CBB personalities seem to agree with the hook and hold call which I confused with the tech. I mean…..I don’t fully understand the rules I guess. On the street what happened to MK is assault.
I watched the replay this morning and frankly the TV review angle wasn’t great.

Clearly by the BC player’s reaction real time he was convinced he was hooked and held.

Calls go both ways. Watching the full replay we did lose composure during that stretch. CDS getting didn’t help in this game but may pay longer term dividands.

The team is exciting yet flawed.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Seeing it 1000 times and reading other people’s opinions has its influences. I thought it was ridiculous in real time. Glad to have a coach capable of napalm

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Seeing it 1000 times and reading other people’s opinions has its influences. I thought it was ridiculous in real time. Glad to have a coach capable of napalm
On TV in real time it clearly looked like a foul on the BC guy which was called. The review, watched many many times did change my mind. It was a very tough call for GT and did have a huge impact on the game's outcome.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
On TV in real time it clearly looked like a foul on the BC guy which was called. The review, watched many many times did change my mind. It was a very tough call for GT and did have a huge impact on the game's outcome.
I disagree with that last part. The games result felt like a foregone conclusion when BC cut it to 9. No tourniquets, no quikclot, no balls.