1/28/2018 - Clemson @ GT

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There is really no excuse for AD guarding Marcquise Reed af the end of the game. Gueye is 6’9-6’10 and Reed is probably the most underrated offensive player in the conference (you could argue Justin Robinson as well), that’s all the way on Pastner. It should have been Alston IMHO but whatever.

Clemson is probably the ACC team I have seen the most other than Tech and the outcome didn’t really surprise me, the route to the outcome sort of did. I have never seen Gabe Devoe play like that. Typically it’s Reed putting up their perimeter offense. Shelton Mitchell also killed us, haven’t seen him play like that all season. Just another day as a Tech fan.

The question is why in the world are you watching Clemson basketball?

On topic, if Lammers is gonna take shots from a half-step in the 3pt line, just go ahead and shoot 3's. Why TF not?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

On topic, if Lammers is gonna take shots from a half-step in the 3pt line, just go ahead and shoot 3's. Why TF not?

If I am going to comment/write weekly on the entire conference I should probably watch some games.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

He is not used to being out there. He is used to being around the foul line where he doesn't have to worry about that. If he thought about it he probably would take the extra step out but he got plopped in an entirely new role mid season so something like that ain't on his radar screen to think about. :cool:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
He nearly airballed a free throw last night which is something I have never seen him come close to doing that I recall. He is clearly not comfortable out there right now.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Interesting if you compare team stats per game between this year and last year, you would think we’d be doing better than we are. We are doing better or equal in just about every category.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Shooting !! ... we totally outplayed Clemson in the first half and even looked like the better team, but their 3-point shooting was the equalizer.
I watched some mid-major games this weekend and it seems everyone has guys who can drain the 3 ...
Either we have a problem evaluating talent or maybe we need to hire Dennis Scott as a shooting coach ?? ... very frustrating !!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tough loss. Clemson lost by the three against UVA the other day, unfortunately they won by the 3 today. Their own fans mention they are a live by the three, die by the three type team.
I think their experience helped as well as all but one player that played significant min last night was a JR or SR and most were RJR or SR.

3-pt shooting and offensive rebounding were the difference in the game.
This game basically came down to 2 1/2 min of action.
The last 1 1/2 min of the first half where Clemson trimmed an 8 pt deficit to 2. i thought that might bite us.
The second was the min after the 12 min TO in the 2nd half where Clemson had the back to back steals for layups. GT had the momentum at that point and that just killed it.

AD is playing so well right now. Not only did he have 14 pts and 8 rbs, he also had 3 assists (0 TO) and 3 blocks. You can tell the game has really slowed down for him the last 3-4 weeks and his head and his body are much more in sync. Clemson was doubling him in the second half which gave GT open jumpers that GT mostly missed (Lammers looked awful on most of his jumpers). He has gotten very comfortable with his post moves and is starting to see the floor from the post as well.

I watched Reveno work with the bigs before the game. AD had by far the best post moves and footwork, missed only 1 shot. Ogbonda was probably second best. Lammers was somewhere in the mix with Avi and Evan, he missed alot of his shots. Moses was the weakest in the post drills. He looked really uncomfortable in the post. He looks like he needs to face up.

It hurts to watch Curtis right now. You can see him limping at times. Another bad game for Tad.

Alston played pretty well last night. Wish he had hit that three late. Sort of wish Josh had passed to him on the last shot, Clemson's entire defense collapsed on him. Alston had just missed that three but would have had a wide open look from the same spot.

The plan this year was for the 2 SR and Josh to carry this team. Unfortunately the 2 SR are not playing well. Tad's avg 3 ppg less in ACC games than last season and his efficiency is down 5% in ACC games. Lammers is avg 5 ppg less than last year and his efficiency is down 28%. On the flip side AD surpassed Q's efficiency numbers last night and Jose (whose mom I got to talk to briefly yesterday) has surpassed Heath's efficiency numbers (and is outscoring Heath by 5 ppg).

Overall the offense is quite a bit better than last season - currently #164 - compared to #259 last season. Defense has dropped off alot though, from #6 to #71.
I think you are seeing more of what this team is going to look like next year as the year goes on. We are not running much through Lammers anymore, starting to see more dump the ball into AD or let Jose or Josh create. Losing Tad and Lammers but gaining Devoe, Phillips, hopefully a healthy Haywood and I expect to see more uptempo next year and more threes with more guys capable of hitting them.

Hated losing to them, maybe we can return the favor in Littlejohn.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hated losing to them, maybe we can return the favor in Littlejohn.

At this point in the season, at 3-5 in league with absolutely zero post season hopes, I would prefer to se us start to give young players more time on court to develop them for the "get old-stay old" objective. Play Haywood a lot once he is healthy. Play Wright and Cole some. Keep AD on the floor a much as is reasonable.

I am not saying abandon Lammers and Tadic, one must be loyal to them as seniors, BUT they are not helping us much right now so I would reduce their minutes (well, Lammers defensively is still quite solid, so there's that)...but truthfully, wins and losses for the res to this year don't really matter that much. Getting high level experience for the future matters more, imho.

I am sure some will yell at me for this view, but....oh well.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
At this point in the season, at 3-5 in league with absolutely zero post season hopes, I would prefer to se us start to give young players more time on court to develop them for the "get old-stay old" objective. Play Haywood a lot once he is healthy. Play Wright and Cole some. Keep AD on the floor a much as is reasonable.

I am not saying abandon Lammers and Tadic, one must be loyal to them as seniors, BUT they are not helping us much right now so I would reduce their minutes (well, Lammers defensively is still quite solid, so there's that)...but truthfully, wins and losses for the res to this year don't really matter that much. Getting high level experience for the future matters more, imho.

Completely agree

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck

I completely agree. At this point you just have to use this season as teaching experience.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes get the young uns experience at this point. Especially as we move to some of the games against teams in the bottom half of the league (with us).
Will be ugly at times and you still have to try to put them in situations they can be successful - as opposed to simply letting them get hammered. That balance is going to be hard to do.

Subbing Cole or Wright for Lammers gets them experience for next year but also let's AD see what playing the 5 on D will be like.

I don't see Cole or Wright getting major minutes but let's get them some now.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe my favorite state of the night by the way
AD 38 min, 2 PF - he's a high energy, emotional player, being able to stay out of foul trouble is huge for him

I'm not quite there on the go to youth yet, but close. If we lose to Syracuse on Wednesday then i'm there with you.

I think they would be playing Curtis more if he was healthy.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

I think you can get Cole or Wright (maybe not both) 10-12 minutes a game and still be “true” to Lammers. I think Haywood will get more time abs he gets healthy. He looks lost right now. Again, I think you can bump his minutes (enough to gain experience) all still be “fair” to tadrick.

Deleted member 2897

BTW, in case anybody couldn't watch the game last night and you are reading all this about 'they couldn't miss' or 'they hit some of the most stupid shots', here are 7 of their 3 pointers, just in the first half. You'll note some of them without exaggeration are 5-7 feet behind the arc. And again, this is in normal pace of play where they just choose to take these stupid shots from half court, it wasn't like a last second shot clock desperation heave or anything.

#3, this one might be the most stupid:

#4, this one wasn't weird at all...other than the fact they were now 4-4 from 3 point land and still hadn't made a regular 2 point basket yet.

#5. Another one five feet beyond the arc. Still nothing but 3s. :)

#6, LOL.

#7. Sigh. Way downtown again. And we fouled him for a 4 point play, because you know, you have to play tight defense when someone is shooting from 40 feet away.

That's just the first half.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm sick of guys having career games against us, and it doesn't seem like it's our D that's making it especially easy on them.

Still, we could have won this one. Frustrating that we didn't, but at least we made it exciting at the end. The defensive breakdown to allow the layup was bad, though.

As far as Clemson's OREB, at first I was going to blame it on them throwing up bad shots down low against our shot-blockers leaving no one in the post to corral the miss, but looking at the 3ptr replays is also pretty telling. So much watching of the shot with barely an attempt to block out.

Our bench has disappeared. Obviously we need to spell some guys (the bigs in particular), but man did it hurt to pull the starting 5 out of the game every single time. I'm not sure why CGB has looked so bad lately. Has all the talent but just playing like a freshman.

On the plus side, we took really good care of the ball except for a couple of plays. Gueye was great in the post, but I wish we got it to him more often. Clemson seemed inept down there defensively. Saw Alvarado push more to kick off the offense which did free things up a bit, but he struggled with staying in control on the dribble. Seems he's just so use to finding a creative way to the bucket that slowing down the dribble to pass out of it when you draw the defense is a foreign concept.

Overall, I think we are doing much better. We go through stretches where it's not just fatigue but lack of belief. We're running the offense and running the defense, but it just seems like everyone expects things to be a struggle when they don't have to be. The effort is there, but the belief can wane.