1/28/2018 - Clemson @ GT

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing. Besides the threes, too many “blow by” layups. Was Gaye really or best defender to put on their 2 guard down the stretch. They sure seemed to like the matchup because they went to the guy twice in a row down the stretch. I thought the two consecutive turnovers for easy baskets midway through the second half were killers

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Those first half 3s were stupid. Dude could've thrown em up between his legs blindfolded and they'd have gone in.

That's a game we should've won. We're going to forget how to win if we don't get back on track soon.

#LateProcess .. is that right? I'm new to this.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Disappointing. Besides the threes, too many “blow by” layups. Was Gaye really or best defender to put on their 2 guard down the stretch. They sure seemed to like the matchup because they went to the guy twice in a row down the stretch. I thought the two consecutive turnovers for easy baskets midway through the second half were killers

Fair question. That guys their leading scorer too.

Would've thought Jackson would've been a better choice but it seems he's decided not to play effective O or D for some games this year.

Okogie was probably too busy trying to help put out the fire that was raging out of control inside that PG who hit like fifty-leven 3's.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
3's were the obvious killers. Some were from the parking lot but some were just slow rotations. either way they made more shots than we did. Though I did think we stayed in the zone too long in the first half.

Another factor was we gave up too many offensive rebounds. Playing 2 bigs the way we did should have kept that from happening but they spread us.

Saw a lot of good things too - AD is improving by leaps and bounds. JO is rounding back into form. Lammers is still lost a lot of offense but I saw some good things there. But he still has to figure out how to make them pay for playing small on him. He and AD are going to have to simply be able to read each other better to allow Lammers to go to the block if he gets a smaller guy on him.

And like others are saying - the 2G killed us tonight. We have to get something more out of that spot. Haywood seems to still be hurt or has lost all confidence. Alston is what he is. Tadric is the one that blows my mind still. Tonight we really could have used a good game from him.

Still a lot of good things and we played reasonably well overall. Just got to find a way to win that game. Needed it for a lot of obvious record reasons but also because we had a full house. A quiet full house but still a chance to make an impression on folks to come back.

I did enjoy the Bosh interview. Weird during the game but still good.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will write more tomorrow, but I had a general all around bad experience at McCamish tonight. Event staff poor. Concession staff looks like they have been trained in how to be slow and generate long lines. Men’s bathroom out of paper twoels by games end. Oh, and we lost. And I honestly never thought we’d win once the tide turned late in the first half. Lammers offensively is a huge liability. It HATE seeing him take those 12-15 foot j7mo shots. On back to back possessions late in the 2nd half he missed the front end of a one-&-one, then missed that stupid jumper. He was our worst offensive shooter %wise, yet he took the 2nd most shots on the team. I also thought they mugged Okogie....badly...on the 2nd of those back to back steals that turned the game. No whistle....wha?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm not sure if it's Ben or the offense we're playing, but I'm not convinced AD consistently outplaying Ben is a good thing. Seems like because our 4 has sucked all year we decided to throw our best player there so instead of being really good in one position and terrible at another, we're mediocre at 2 positions.

I like that AD is looking like he's capable of playing and it gives me some hope for next year, but he's not better than Ben there.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if it's Ben or the offense we're playing, but I'm not convinced AD consistently outplaying Ben is a good thing. Seems like because our 4 has sucked all year we decided to throw our best player there so instead of being really good in one position and terrible at another, we're mediocre at 2 positions.

I like that AD is looking like he's capable of playing and it gives me some hope for next year, but he's not better than Ben there.

Ben was never a low post player. He always relied on hitting the mid range shots on offense. He's just not hitting them for whatever reason.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ben was never a low post player. He always relied on hitting the mid range shots on offense. He's just not hitting them for whatever reason.
I disagree. Sure he didn't have any post moves but he got a lot of offensive rebounds down low for easy put backs and was consistent with his little turn around shot. He's a good shooter but he's taking his shots too far out.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Playing Ben and AD this way generates more points combined than the other way around. The only alternative is Ben at the 5 and JO at the 4 with 3 other guards. Unless Tadric was going to snap out of it magically we didn't have much choice tonight with Haywood not in fighting trim to be kind.

Ben does get a lot of his points on mid range jumpers but most previously were straight on around the foul line or elbow. The shots he is getting now - and missing routinely are wing jumpers. While they may be the same distance or slightly longer but IMHO it is the angle that is screwing with his confidence - strange as that may sound. You could see Lammers trying to figure out how to score when he was matched up against a much smaller Clemson player. He should go straight to the block and let AD stay at the foul line but that is the kind of adjustment/ learning to play positions that should have been made in the pre ACC season.

Like I said above, there were some good things in AD starting to show post moves and Ben starting to show he can function at the 4. It is way too late this year and really won't matter for this year but the AD part gives me a bit more hope for next year.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I will write more tomorrow, but I had a general all around bad experience at McCamish tonight. Event staff poor. Concession staff looks like they have been trained in how to be slow and generate long lines. Men’s bathroom out of paper twoels by games end. Oh, and we lost. And I honestly never thought we’d win once the tide turned late in the first half. Lammers offensively is a huge liability. It HATE seeing him take those 12-15 foot j7mo shots. On back to back possessions late in the 2nd half he missed the front end of a one-&-one, then missed that stupid jumper. He was our worst offensive shooter %wise, yet he took the 2nd most shots on the team. I also thought they mugged Okogie....badly...on the 2nd of those back to back steals that turned the game. No whistle....wha?
Same. I have complained a total of zero times at any sporting events until today. The jersey system was awful with trying to have cheerleaders walk around in the rain outside and give you a card but they were missing people left and right (not their fault). Once inside, the concessions stand line was mixing with the Bosh autograph line, mixing with the jersey pick ups. Which was also a mess with two different sections for different sizes.(They failed to mention this to me as I stood in the small/medium for 10 mins based on staff instruction). The final straw was when the worker tried me and wanted me to go through the trash and find a slip for my extra large shirt. Even tried to say he was going to kick me out when I refused lol.
200.gif

I went and got some of the people I know and they took care of me per usual. I think they had a good plan in place but were just overwhelmed and it looked better on paper than in reality.

On the game, they hit clutch shots and Devoe was a baller (must run in the name #gamewinner). AD played the best game of his career and I must say, he has gone from a black hole on the floor to an ACC player! I wish CGB would stop getting yanked every mistake. I know they were big and costly, but let him have the chance and make up for it on the other end. It was just one of those ACC games where you played tough but the better team won. Move on and continue to get better.

Sidenote: Coach Swartz talked with Watson for a while after the game along with Georges-Hunt. (who I will be seeing tomorrow against Marvin Bagley's Atlanta Hawks)

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
We had the same problem with ClemPsonites sitting right behind us.
the clemson fan behind me was hilarious. He was crying about everything, and even yelled at the ref for an over the back foul....when Georgia Tech was holding the box out lol. Stick to football.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There is really no excuse for AD guarding Marcquise Reed af the end of the game. Gueye is 6’9-6’10 and Reed is probably the most underrated offensive player in the conference (you could argue Justin Robinson as well), that’s all the way on Pastner. It should have been Alston IMHO but whatever.

Clemson is probably the ACC team I have seen the most other than Tech and the outcome didn’t really surprise me, the route to the outcome sort of did. I have never seen Gabe Devoe play like that. Typically it’s Reed putting up their perimeter offense. Shelton Mitchell also killed us, haven’t seen him play like that all season. Just another day as a Tech fan.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Is Ben hurt? That FT that barely hit the front of the rim was just awful.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson got 10 more shot attempts than we did. In a close well played game, that ultimately was the difference (13 offensive rebounds). #18 team in the country barely beat us.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
not just heywood but alston and jackson have been horrible. Its hard to see how Moore and the walkons could be worse. Gotta try somethin
IMO I really believe we'd benefit from having this line up
1. Jose
2.J Okogie
3.BA
4.Wright
5. Geuye

Then bring Lammers and Tadric off the bench. I know this has been said before but due to AD's recent surge of post offense it has forced Ben to play outside and personally I don't believe this is something that Ben has been able to excel at. Wright on the other hand would excel playing 10-15 from the basket as he is a better mid range shooter than Ben ( I know the stats may say differently but this guy can go.) Allowing Ben to come off the bench for AD would allow him all the room to operate. I CJP has to just come to terms with the fact that Ben is just not "THAT GUY" (still a great player though).