1/24/2018 - GT @ FSU

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
We play slow because of a lack of depth even though Tadric and Okogie, and Jose for that matter, would be better off running it. That being said, what is really baffling is that we don't shoot 3s well but we try to go to a small ball lineup so often.

Agree on lack of depth and where I will once again get frustrated by Pastner's first recruiting class.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We allowed the way the game was called tightly to take away our aggressiveness on defense and turned into a game about who had more firepower. Outside of the last 5 minutes of the first half I though we played them pretty well. Defense wasn't what it should be, but we are better on offense and were aggressive attacking the basket and drawing fouls. Third straight game we've shown some fight but just have too many weaknesses to overcome against these teams. Clemson at home shouldbe a little better with their recent injury. Hopefully we can get back in W column.

The real first recruiting class is Mike Devoe and friends. He will make an immediate impact. Jose a year older and Curtis with more confidence. AD will be a factor in the paint. This year is going to make next year that much sweeter. We are only a couple of shooters away. We have the guys that can create and kick to no one right now. We are getting there. CBG did not leave the program in very good shape. The foundation is being laid.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If we could "shoot" we'd have won tonight.

Look at the stats but exclude the field goals and we are all but winning the game.

But the object of the game is to score points.
0e6b03528769b49423fcbe084364a946.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is it football season yet?

Only a couple weeks til I kick it into MLS mode for 6 or so months.

23 days to baseball.

As everyone laments, I'll say again that basketball will be the best mens sport (football, basketball and baseball) that we have in two years.

Just don't have the depth of elite athletes, but we have a good chance of getting some with Pastner.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you take away Mann's out of body experience we win as well.
Yes we don't have the shooters we really need but we also cannot close out on shooters like FSU can. They have a different level of defensive athleticism.
We also are not going to win games where Tadric plays 26 minutes and scores 2 points.

Frustrating tonight as I saw some good things especially Jose's continued improvement in shooting and aggressiveness. Bodes well for next year. Haywood needs to step up.
Looking forward to the back end of the season when we play our half of the ACC :cool:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who feels like we're not running a team offense like we did last year?

This game pushed me past Gregory into Hewitt level impulse to change the channel.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Name of the game is turnovers and the opponents points off of them. The TO's are killing us. FSU led in that dept. 17-3 at halftime. CPJ has harped on them and he is 100% correct.

What worse, many of them were unforced where we simply threw the ball away. It's maddening. I mentioned that I was concerned our guys would be road weary, and it showed - we were fighting it. All around sloppy game by our Yellow Jackets...

How many times did Ben get sealed out of the play tonight resulting in an easy layup.He wasn't much of a factor defensively either. They slayed us in the points in the paint! FSU has athletes all over the floor, but there's no excuse for them beating us down the court for layups. You gotta get back on D against them.

Price we are paying for having Fr guards and no real leadership in upper class. The head scratching plays from the two guard should not occur as frequently as they do this year with the graduation of Tad.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is Ben still struggling with an injury? I'm gonna go ahead and say it: He seems like a shell of himself from last year. Especially in ACC play.

FSU is so frenetic...LOTS of hero ball going on with them, and at times it seemed like our guys were trying to match them on our end. Our movement and spacing seemed off. Our double digit turnovers in the first half really did us in. The last minutes of the first half...yuck.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Were misusing Lammers for the sake of AD, something I don’t understand

We look as if we have never run a 3-2/2-1 fast break drill. ever....

We don’t have a player who can create a shot/go get one (a good one) on his own.

After a nice junior season Jax looks like his freshman/sophomore years again.

CGB is apparently just a spot up guy? Never, EVER looks to get by his man on the dribble

Alston on offense is about as terrifying as abox of kittens for our opponents

I don’t understand our offensive scheme anymore. It looks like CBG’s offense out there, utter garbage. Dribble dribble dribble dribble and when you’re done dribbling either turn it over or take a bad shot. Lammers just wandering around like a man without a country.

I’ll be honest I turned this game off with about 13 to go. I watched four years of it while Gregory was the coach.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, it's a mess right now. No "dogs" that can create his own shot. BIG misuse of Big Ben. Terrible offensive system. Coach Pastner has got to take a long look at himself this summer and right the ship, or lose his team, his fans, then his job.