1/16 - MBB vs. Clemson

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I dozed off and woke up just in time to see Roger Ayers use replay to still get a call incorrect on a NTG triple that was called a deuce. That guy just sucks.

To win a game when you give up 22 offensive rebounds, lose the free throw and turnover battle is downright wild.

15-35 from deep is something id love to get used to. We continue to be the bane of Girard's existence, holding him to 2-9 with just two assists.

Nait's performance was incredible, we have a winner of a point guard ladies and gentlemen.
I mentioned it earlier, but Miles Kelly was locked on Girard all night. His length, athleticism, and hard work on defense really caused him issues. He killed them in double OT by taking a rushed three-pointer. Hall was having his way at that point, and Ndongo had fouled out. Horrible decision by Girard by not feeding the post, but I will take it.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
What a game. That's the type of game I feel we never win, especially on the road. Huge win. Hopefully this can get the guys rolling, at least to the NIT. Would love to have a couple of those bad losses back, feel like we have those every year. UMASS Lowell and ND at home needed to be wins and we'd be sitting at 11-6 right now with some good wins.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What a game. That's the type of game I feel we never win, especially on the road. Huge win. Hopefully this can get the guys rolling, at least to the NIT. Would love to have a couple of those bad losses back, feel like we have those every year. UMASS Lowell and ND at home needed to be wins and we'd be sitting at 11-6 right now with some good wins.

Duke game at Cameron was VERY winnable as well. A string of TOs in the 2nd half did us in.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Who cares, society is a dumpster fire in this country these days. Worst case, a bunch of bored white women will cry online while in their pajamas at 2 pm.
If only it were limited to pajama clad internet whiners….
I’m amazed at how consistently I underestimate “worse case” in these types of situations.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
No doubt, since we won, we can ***** about the refs without it sounding like sour grapes. We did foul a lot and have to get better, but they weren’t calling it both ways. Our guys were getting moved out of the way quite often on the boards.

We would get hacked underneath the basket, no call, but then go to the other end get whistled for the same. The two worst were the ones you mentioned (Nait’s step back and the shot clock violation).

There was another late in the game where Miles got fouled going to the basket, and they called it on the floor. In short, the officials need to step their game up.
Another call that griped me was one where Sheiflin (?) got an offensive rebound, came down on both feet simultaneously, took a step with one foot (I think his right), hence designating his other foot as his pivot foot, then took a step with his pivot foot, before putting the ball backup for a put back shot. He either made the shot or got fouled or both, but it should have been called a travel before the shot. It happened quickly, but it was a textbook travel that wasn’t called.

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
Last night was not very different than our previous four, except that we hit the shots and made some plays at the end. And, the opponent did not play as well in those spots.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating. Duke does not match up well against us. They are better basketball players, so they can prevail. But we are a tough out for them. Clemson is a bad match up for us. They have depth inside and we have very little when Ndongo is off the floor. Claude stepped up last night and that was huge. The rebounding last night was scary in their favor.

I think the game was officiated really well last night, but how could the refs not call George's trey correctly after seeing the replay?

Also CDS is not afraid to hand the ball to someone with a hot hand and ride with them. That's his NBA experience. It was the guards last night because Ndongo lacks the strength and experience against the Clemson bigs. But, he will grow into that and be huge for us. I also love CDS plays to get size mismatches for Ndongo. We have a really good coach.
I don’t think the refs were shown the side angle that we saw on tv for George’s three. You could see the angle they kept showing the refs on the monitor and they were only showing the angle from the front which wasn’t a clear angle. Idk why video reviews don’t provide the same angles that are also accessible on tv but that is true for almost all leagues that do reviews. Few have finally changed that policy but only because there was a major game in a major market that had a screw up that would make them change.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Great resilience by the team. I counted us as done when Ndongo fouled out, but the team refused to lose. Good on CDS for switching to a zone when the situation required it. Maybe he is a better coach than given credit for. Personally I thought he way outcoached Brownell.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Who cares, society is a dumpster fire in this country these days. Worst case, a bunch of bored white women will cry online while in their pajamas at 2 pm.

I'm gonna cry about it too just to mess with you, peac. I won't be in my pj's tho. ;)

Great resilience by the team. I counted us as done when Ndongo fouled out, but the team refused to lose. Good on CDS for switching to a zone when the situation required it. Maybe he is a better coach than given credit for. Personally I thought he way outcoached Brownell.

Oh, there's a couple folks in the game chat who counted us out when Baye fouled out. I won't name names tho. Not me. I was too busy lol'ing at big mama.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm gonna cry about it too just to mess with you, peac. I won't be in my pj's tho. ;)

Oh, there's a couple folks in the game chat who counted us out when Baye fouled out. I won't name names tho. Not me. I was too busy lol'ing at big mama.
She was ridiculously loud.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the zone was to protect our players from fouls.
Interesting that some of us thought we might not ever see a zone from Stoudamire. This seemed very strategic last night. Quite the surprise move.
Good observations. CDS seems to realize you cannot continue doing the things that aren't working if you expect to win.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree @forensicbuzz that foul trouble played a role, but I also think it was post defense by committee once we lost another big body. Hall was eating us alive one on one. When we first went zone, I wasn’t thrilled with the decision. Clemson was staying in the game with post play and offensive rebounding, and zone makes blocking out even more difficult. The first play we came out in zone, they got a shot in the paint and we immediately gave up another offensive rebound. After that play, Clemson didn’t deal with attacking it very well. Somehow we managed to start rebounding better too
I’m not sure it had the desire effect of fewer fouls ( to be honest I didn’t think we had so many fouls left to give), but it really took Clemson out of rhythm offensively. Great gamble at that time in the game.
It’s almost like the zone was a head game since everyone expects Tech to be man to man. But, yeah, if your inside game is working well a zone shouldn’t be that big of a problem. I wasn’t even sure that we were trapping that well down low in the zone. Just a different, unexpected look that Clemson acted like they were rusty at attacking.