1/16 - MBB vs. Clemson

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really like the female announcer. ( Antonelli?) She really knows the game. Wish we had her for all the games. Most announcers would not even notice when we went zone. ( which I think we need more of at times)
Please tell me you are kidding... She was slobbering over Clemson all night.

If I had a dollar for every time she said someone could get up the court in 3 dribbles, I could quit working.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

If I had a dollar for every time she said someone could get up the court in 3 dribbles, I could quit working.
I confess I was impressed by her at times too, like describing the 45 cut and fast Tech was executing it.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It’s almost like the zone was a head game since everyone expects Tech to be man to man. But, yeah, if your inside game is working well a zone shouldn’t be that big of a problem. I wasn’t even sure that we were trapping that well down low in the zone. Just a different, unexpected look that Clemson acted like they were rusty at attacking.
It was….I think it actually baited them into some outside shots that they didn’t need to take down the stretch. They got the ball to the middle of the floor one time and got a good look. After that, they didn’t move the zone very effectively and abandoned the inside game that had been their strength all night. Even Hall came off the block and took several jumpers.
We still have up offensive boards and put them on the foul line as a result. If we could’ve rebounded a little better late, I’m not sure they could’ve scored from the floor and we wouldn’t have needed to sweat out a final possession

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It was….I think it actually baited them into some outside shots that they didn’t need to take down the stretch. They got the ball to the middle of the floor one time and got a good look. After that, they didn’t move the zone very effectively and abandoned the inside game that had been their strength all night. Even Hall came off the block and took several jumpers.
We still have up offensive boards and put them on the foul line as a result. If we could’ve rebounded a little better late, I’m not sure they could’ve scored from the floor and we wouldn’t have needed to sweat out a final possession
Almost as if Stoudamire was willing to match wits in this game play for play and after his first twist on defense Clemson just kind of said. “Oh hell, now what do we do?” and gave up trying to come up with an answer. 😊

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Just some perspective on Kelly's shooting... He WAS 4 / 13 before ending 6 / 16... made his last 2 of his last 3 shots (no 3 pt. attempts), way to come through.

View attachment 15543

When Kelly takes the right shots within the flow of the offense, he is a very good shooter and very effective. It is when he tries to do everything himself and especially when he forces long contested jumpers that his percentage drops way down. Hopefully as Ndongo, George, and others continue to prove to be reliable options, he will try to force things less.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I dozed off and woke up just in time to see Roger Ayers use replay to still get a call incorrect on a NTG triple that was called a deuce. That guy just sucks.

To win a game when you give up 22 offensive rebounds, lose the free throw and turnover battle is downright wild.

15-35 from deep is something id love to get used to. We continue to be the bane of Girard's existence, holding him to 2-9 with just two assists.

Nait's performance was incredible, we have a winner of a point guard ladies and gentlemen.
This commentary below is from 9 years ago regarding Ayers. Your comment about Ayers made me do some web searching. Some officials clearly have teams they are biased against. I'm not saying that Ayers is biased against Tech, but he may tend to be biased toward a home team. It will be interesting to watch results going forward when Ayers is officiating our games.

Last night's loss to Arkansas marked Kentucky's fourth consecutive loss when referee Roger Ayers is patrolling the court with his exhausted whistle. Think about that for one second. Kentucky, a team that hasn't lost many games under John Calipari, lost its last four that Roger Ayers officiated. In those four games, John Calipari received three technical fouls (his streak ended last night) and the opposing teams shot a combined 142 free throws. Better yet, Kentucky attempted fewer free throws than its opponent in all four games. May I remind you, Kentucky is ranked eighth in the nation in free throw attempts per game. Kentucky rarely makes fewer trips to the stripe than the other team. Let's continue, shall we? John Calipari's record is 135-30 at UK over the last four and a half years. He is 2-5 when Roger Ayers is involved.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I really like the female announcer. ( Antonelli?) She really knows the game. Wish we had her for all the games. Most announcers would not even notice when we went zone. ( which I think we need more of at times)
Like the time she said with 12 seconds left that GT did not need a 3; just before NG sunk a 3 with 2 seconds left.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
This commentary below is from 9 years ago regarding Ayers. Your comment about Ayers made me do some web searching. Some officials clearly have teams they are biased against. I'm not saying that Ayers is biased against Tech, but he may tend to be biased toward a home team. It will be interesting to watch results going forward when Ayers is officiating our games.

Last night's loss to Arkansas marked Kentucky's fourth consecutive loss when referee Roger Ayers is patrolling the court with his exhausted whistle. Think about that for one second. Kentucky, a team that hasn't lost many games under John Calipari, lost its last four that Roger Ayers officiated. In those four games, John Calipari received three technical fouls (his streak ended last night) and the opposing teams shot a combined 142 free throws. Better yet, Kentucky attempted fewer free throws than its opponent in all four games. May I remind you, Kentucky is ranked eighth in the nation in free throw attempts per game. Kentucky rarely makes fewer trips to the stripe than the other team. Let's continue, shall we? John Calipari's record is 135-30 at UK over the last four and a half years. He is 2-5 when Roger Ayers is involved.
Ayers is a poser. When he points his hand to show whose ball it is; he uses all four fingers arched out like a gastroenterologist trying to make his job interesting. He is a drama queen just like Teddy V. Normal is like the first picture. Ayers is more like the second, "hand of God".

Attachments

• OIP (1).jpeg
    OIP (1).jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3
  • OIP.jpeg
    OIP.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

She was extremely complimentary of Miles Kelly, too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I confess I was impressed by her at times too, like describing the 45 cut and fast Tech was executing it.
Yall are both right (or both wrong? :unsure:).

She had some nice insights from time to time. But she had to take breaks from gushing all over Climson the whole game to do it.

Was that her son she showed earlier rooting for Clim? Pretty sure that's what she said. It would explain her allegiance.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
She was extremely complimentary of Miles Kelly, too.
And PJ Hall.
You know, they call him the “Hall-American.”
Get it? It’s a play on words.
“Hall-American.”
Its like All-American but “HALL-American” like his last name.
They do. “Hall-American.”
He played like an All American, too.
You know they call him “Hall-American?”
Yup. Hall-American

If it were a drinking game with that and “Go Tigers! Right now!” I wouldn’t get out of bed for a week

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And PJ Hall.
You know, they call him the “Hall-American.”
Get it? It’s a play on words.
“Hall-American.”
Its like All-American but “HALL-American” like his last name.
They do. “Hall-American.”
He played like an All American, too.
You know they call him “Hall-American?”
Yup. Hall-American

If it were a drinking game with that and “Go Tigers! Right now!” I wouldn’t get out of bed for a week

This may be blasphemy coming from a GT fan, but did PJ Hall remind anyone else of our own Matt Harpring? Good inside/out game, max effort, tough as nails, and willing to put his body in harms way.

Of course, Harpring would have willed his team to victory last night.... :)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This may be blasphemy coming from a GT fan, but did PJ Hall remind anyone else of our own Matt Harpring? Good inside/out game, max effort, tough as nails, and willing to put his body in harms way.

not that you insinuated, but to be clear, my post was picking at the announcers.
Hall is a hell of a player so I don’t see any issue drawing favorable comparisons… but yeah, Harpring knocks down one of those late triples to win /extend the game. :D

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I gave you a like then took it away because of the blasphemy.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank God I live in the mountain time zone now. I DVR all of our games. I have this personal rule that if I am unable to watch the game from the beginning, I wait until the game is over, turn off all notifications on my phone and watch it as if it is live after the game has finished. So last night I was out when the game started thus I kept checking for it in the n demand section of the ESPN app. In this case that was a good thing because I was able to watch the game start to finish whereas the ACCN broadcast missed the first 10 min of the game because of the wild ending to the Wake vs State game. By doing it this way I experience all of the highs and lows of someone watching it live. Even living out west I had to stay up past 1 AM to watch the game but well worth it. I totally agree with the officiating being piss poor at the end.

I will disagree with one point however. The Clemson bigs are well coached to use their big bodies to push our guys under the basket so they can get the offensive rebound. Coleman's problem was he pushed his guy in the back with both arms extended which made it an obvious call. Do I think Clemson should have been called several times for bodying our guys out of the way, of course I do. But that is a much less obvious call than what Clemson was doing.

On George's 3 his foot was behind the line when he set for the shot but barely. Watching the replay as he elevates for the shot the toe of the shoe expands a bit to where you cannot distinguish between the three point line and the gold of the toe of his shoe. The commentator was saying the gold toe was to his advantage but I disagree. Because of the color of the three point line on Clemson's floor and the gold tip of his shoe you could not see the space between his tor and the line at the point he elevates for the shot like you could as he was set for the shot. And since they called it a 2 to begin with they stuck with that. One could argue why Ayers didn't call it a three to start with since he immediately blew his whistle for a review meaning he didn't see the shot clearly. Maybe they are trained to call it like that. I'm not sure.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
not that you insinuated, but to be clear, my post was picking at the announcers.
Hall is a hell of a player so I don’t see any issue drawing favorable comparisons… but yeah, Harpring knocks down one of those late triples to win /extend the game. :D

That's a hall-american response, CEB. Get it? Hall American.
Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+