1/16 - MBB vs. Clemson

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree @forensicbuzz that foul trouble played a role, but I also think it was post defense by committee once we lost another big body. Hall was eating us alive one on one. When we first went zone, I wasn’t thrilled with the decision. Clemson was staying in the game with post play and offensive rebounding, and zone makes blocking out even more difficult. The first play we came out in zone, they got a shot in the paint and we immediately gave up another offensive rebound. After that play, Clemson didn’t deal with attacking it very well. Somehow we managed to start rebounding better too
I’m not sure it had the desire effect of fewer fouls ( to be honest I didn’t think we had so many fouls left to give), but it really took Clemson out of rhythm offensively. Great gamble at that time in the game.
I think the zone late was as much about keeping Kelly in the game as anything else. Once he got 4 fouls I think CDS realized that Clemson would isolate him and try to get the 5th foul on Kelly and we really needed him to stay in the game for his offense especially once Ndongo fouled out. That is also why we saw Gapare sub for him on defense in case we needed to give a foul...plus his length on the inbound pass.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
That's a hall-american response, CEB. Get it? Hall American.
Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+
Thanks a hall of a lot for noticing!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yall are both right (or both wrong? :unsure:).

She had some nice insights from time to time. But she had to take breaks from gushing all over Climson the whole game to do it.

Was that her son she showed earlier rooting for Clim? Pretty sure that's what she said. It would explain her allegiance.
That was her son who has downs syndrome. Clemson apparently has a really good program for older kids with downs that she has gushed about on several other game broadcasts.
She was pretty good as an analyst last night - and should have been complimentary of Clemson the way they were beating us most of the night. But she approaches sainthood in my book for staying with and raising a downs syndrome kid.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This may be blasphemy coming from a GT fan, but did PJ Hall remind anyone else of our own Matt Harpring? Good inside/out game, max effort, tough as nails, and willing to put his body in harms way.

Of course, Harpring would have willed his team to victory last night.... :)
I thought he played like Christian Laettner, athletic and getting all the calls. A little bit of a crybaby.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
On George's 3 his foot was behind the line when he set for the shot but barely. Watching the replay as he elevates for the shot the toe of the shoe expands a bit to where you cannot distinguish between the three point line and the gold of the toe of his shoe. The commentator was saying the gold toe was to his advantage but I disagree. Because of the color of the three point line on Clemson's floor and the gold tip of his shoe you could not see the space between his tor and the line at the point he elevates for the shot like you could as he was set for the shot. And since they called it a 2 to begin with they stuck with that. One could argue why Ayers didn't call it a three to start with since he immediately blew his whistle for a review meaning he didn't see the shot clearly. Maybe they are trained to call it like that. I'm not sure.
You could clearly see it from the side angle. There was no question even when he elevated.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What’s wild is I actually fell asleep before the game started. I woke up at 10:54 and checked the score. Saw we were down 9 with under 2 in regulation, so I went back to sleep. Then I wake up to a 2OT victory. You’re welcome!