1/16 - MBB vs. Clemson

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
His role is defensively (for now) and rebounding. He often is used to guard the other teams PG or SG.

CDS is not looking to him for offensive production. He does need to stop shooting so many threes, but I believe that he will continue to develop into a really solid player for us.
Agreed. His size and length is just something we don’t have outside of Ndongo. The problem is he can neither rebound (8.0 TRB%, barely ahead of Reeves) nor defend without fouling. Of the players in the rotation, he’s got the lowest win share and box score +/-, yet his usage % is higher than Reeves and just about equal with George. CDS isn’t looking for offensive production from him, which is why he needs to stop being a black hole on offense.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that some of us thought we might not ever see a zone from Stoudamire. This seemed very strategic last night. Quite the surprise move.
I agree @forensicbuzz that foul trouble played a role, but I also think it was post defense by committee once we lost another big body. Hall was eating us alive one on one. When we first went zone, I wasn’t thrilled with the decision. Clemson was staying in the game with post play and offensive rebounding, and zone makes blocking out even more difficult. The first play we came out in zone, they got a shot in the paint and we immediately gave up another offensive rebound. After that play, Clemson didn’t deal with attacking it very well. Somehow we managed to start rebounding better too
I’m not sure it had the desire effect of fewer fouls ( to be honest I didn’t think we had so many fouls left to give), but it really took Clemson out of rhythm offensively. Great gamble at that time in the game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Our second Quad 1 win
1705499736820.png

If we can go on a little run. Just sayin'...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I didn't post it yesterday because i figured it would be divisive but heading into yesterdays game GT was 4-3 when Gapare plays 16 minutes or more and 2-4 when he plays 15 minutes or fewer. Is that coincidental? More than likely. If i had the time or inclination Id look to see what our opponents points per possession was in the games he logged heavy minutes as I figure that would be his most likely impact. I still might just to see but I doubt the bossman wants me to do it while im at work.

Gapare is a "boom or bust" type player at this stage in his development. That's not a knock on him, we just forget sometimes he's still young. He'll have some games where you think "Wow, he can be REALLY good", and other games where he's almost non existent. This goes back to his days at UMass.

If you want to summarize Gapare at GT, just look at his 3 point shot and overall shooting each game. In games where he makes a field goal, he's shooting better than 50% overall. In games he doesn't score from the field, he's 0-for each game! If he makes a 3 point in a game...KEEP FEEDING HIM. The guy is 50% or better every game in which he makes a 3 pointer...otherwise he's 0-for as well. Talk about an all or nothing situation.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Also just wanna know if any of yall checked in on big mama who was apparently sitting next to whatever crowd mic they had. Ol' gurl was loud and annoying AF all nite.
Somewhere around page 14 of the Anderson Gazette there’s a short paragraph on an arrest made at a local convenience store involving an agitated woman who hit the clerk in the head with a Budweiser tall boy upon discovering they were sold out of Pall malls

I’d like to think the part that was left out of the paper was that the woman yelled “IPTAY! Muther Fu****!” as she chucked the beer at the clerk and she could be heard from the back of the police car as they drove away, “C-L-E-M-S-O……..n!”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Last night was not very different than our previous four, except that we hit the shots and made some plays at the end. And, the opponent did not play as well in those spots.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating. Duke does not match up well against us. They are better basketball players, so they can prevail. But we are a tough out for them. Clemson is a bad match up for us. They have depth inside and we have very little when Ndongo is off the floor. Claude stepped up last night and that was huge. The rebounding last night was scary in their favor.

I think the game was officiated really well last night, but how could the refs not call George's trey correctly after seeing the replay?

Also CDS is not afraid to hand the ball to someone with a hot hand and ride with them. That's his NBA experience. It was the guards last night because Ndongo lacks the strength and experience against the Clemson bigs. But, he will grow into that and be huge for us. I also love CDS plays to get size mismatches for Ndongo. We have a really good coach.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I didn't post it yesterday because i figured it would be divisive but heading into yesterdays game GT was 4-3 when Gapare plays 16 minutes or more and 2-4 when he plays 15 minutes or fewer. Is that coincidental? More than likely. If i had the time or inclination Id look to see what our opponents points per possession was in the games he logged heavy minutes as I figure that would be his most likely impact. I still might just to see but I doubt the bossman wants me to do it while im at work.
This is part of the reason we won the game last night playing a way that I didn't think we could and win. To me we need Gapare or Coleman at the 4 to keep the floor spread and allow Ndongo a clear lane for the role. So it makes sense to me to see the relationship you state.

Last night we played Claude at the 4 and got away with it unlike when we did that against Duke. There was an upside that Clemson stayed in contact with Claude in the corner and didn't clog the lane like Duke. They also switched the high screen and let the guard take Ndongo off the role. The downside was the guard - usually Hunter - was strong enough to push Ndongo off the lane and keep us from exploiting it. Made us a primarily perimeter team without George being able to get into the paint. You had a stat on George getting into the paint I didn't understand but eyeballs tell you our offense works a lot better when he is in the paint. I didn't think we could win from the perimeter like we did.

As an aside, I was hoping we would put Gerard in that high screen. They played him against Reeves in the corner and out of that action. I was hoping we would put Reeves in the high screen action and make Gerard play Ndongo off the role.

On defense it was a story of senior bodies against our freshman bodies. Hall, Schiefflin and Godfrey are all grown men compared especially to Ndongo and Gapare. Claude battled better than Gapare but still was generally overmatched. This difference was accentuated by the level of pushing they were allowing but that was pretty obvious. We survived on defense and made just enough plays at the end to win.

We won because we made more shots from the perimeter than we have been making and were just tough enough on the defensive end to stay in the game. Glad to see them get rewarded for a change.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Another fun game. You don't see such a disparity between teams where one's attack is so guard heavy and the other whos attack is so front court heavy.

Clemson killed us on the boards, had 22 offensive rebounds (which was agonizing) and Hall and Schleff%$#@! combined for 51 points. They outscored us 29 to 16 on the Free Throw line.

GT made 15 threes while Clemson made only 3.

Like the rest of our ACC games, the team that makes more clutch plays at the end takes the W. It was us in Littlejohn's. That is sweet!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This is part of the reason we won the game last night playing a way that I didn't think we could and win. To me we need Gapare or Coleman at the 4 to keep the floor spread and allow Ndongo a clear lane for the role. So it makes sense to me to see the relationship you state.

Last night we played Claude at the 4 and got away with it unlike when we did that against Duke. There was an upside that Clemson stayed in contact with Claude in the corner and didn't clog the lane like Duke. They also switched the high screen and let the guard take Ndongo off the role. The downside was the guard - usually Hunter - was strong enough to push Ndongo off the lane and keep us from exploiting it. Made us a primarily perimeter team without George being able to get into the paint. You had a stat on George getting into the paint I didn't understand but eyeballs tell you our offense works a lot better when he is in the paint. I didn't think we could win from the perimeter like we did.

As an aside, I was hoping we would put Gerard in that high screen. They played him against Reeves in the corner and out of that action. I was hoping we would put Reeves in the high screen action and make Gerard play Ndongo off the role.

On defense it was a story of senior bodies against our freshman bodies. Hall, Schiefflin and Godfrey are all grown men compared especially to Ndongo and Gapare. Claude battled better than Gapare but still was generally overmatched. This difference was accentuated by the level of pushing they were allowing but that was pretty obvious. We survived on defense and made just enough plays at the end to win.

We won because we made more shots from the perimeter than we have been making and were just tough enough on the defensive end to stay in the game. Glad to see them get rewarded for a change.

If I had to guess it was Near Proximity Attempt Rate from Haslam Metrics. It measures dunks, layups and other close proximity field goal attempts per 100 possessions. We ranked in the mid 200's I believe.