“I got out” bad for recruiting

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
yep - quarter system for me too. thank god only 1 emag. DefBods wasn't much better but I could at least visualize it.
Speaking of visualization and emag, I hear that the School of Physics has some profs working on a VR simulator that would allow students to actually see electromagnetic fields in 3D.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Emag (EE) geniuses... here is a symptom to the problem of your over-inflated intellectual egos:

The fact is... there are literally an infinite number of numbers. Why in world do we need "imaginary" ones too.?

Get over yourselves... if you could solve your problems without relying on "fake numbers" ...then I'd really be impressed.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Or, as Bear Bryant once stated, "It ain't bragging if you can do it!"
You can find a Bear quote for all occasions, even on a GT board: “If you whoop and holler all the time, the players just get used to it.” But I'm with Gold1: move the thread. I feel like I did with that other one. You know, the Brad Stewart marathon that exceeded 26 miles.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
So at what point did the retention rate really start to climb? I started in 2004 and vividly remember sitting in an auditorium at orientation and getting the “look left, look right, only 1 of y’all will be left when you graduate” speech.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I got out. I also won. After my second bad quarter (2nd & 3rd) which got me on a short leash with Ma Tech, I went out drinking every single day for the next 9 quarters. Raised my cumulative GPA above the All Man’s by the time I graduated. Made Dean’s list almost every quarter after that. Studying never worked for me. I either really understand the material or really didn’t. My grades had no bearing on my mastery or lack of knowledge of the given subject. I got D’s in classes where I’d be helping PhD candidates complete their research and A’s sometimes in classes that I didn’t really understand. Ma Tech shafted me right up to the last day when they nearly denied me graduating due to library charges for a book they claimed I never returned. I went up the Hill, checked the book out of the library, shoved it in the Registrar’s face so she could see it had been returned 2 years prior, returned it back to the library and went home & drank some more. Overall I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I learned how to generate projects I should have worked on for months in a matter of hours and learned how to solve problems that I didn’t have a textbook for.

Boo to the pansy asses that are weak men and afraid of GT’s challenges. They’re not what we want anyway are they? Maybe I’m a Neanderthal that needs to crawl back into my cave but in my mind the world needs GT men, not a bunch of wimps that need to mollycoddled thru life.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I got out. I also won. After my second bad quarter (2nd & 3rd) which got me on a short leash with Ma Tech, I went out drinking every single day for the next 9 quarters. Raised my cumulative GPA above the All Man’s by the time I graduated. Made Dean’s list almost every quarter after that. Studying never worked for me. I either really understand the material or really didn’t. My grades had no bearing on my mastery or lack of knowledge of the given subject. I got D’s in classes where I’d be helping PhD candidates complete their research and A’s sometimes in classes that I didn’t really understand. Ma Tech shafted me right up to the last day when they nearly denied me graduating due to library charges for a book they claimed I never returned. I went up the Hill, checked the book out of the library, shoved it in the Registrar’s face so she could see it had been returned 2 years prior, returned it back to the library and went home & drank some more. Overall I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I learned how to generate projects I should have worked on for months in a matter of hours and learned how to solve problems that I didn’t have a textbook for.

Boo to the pansy asses that are weak men and afraid of GT’s challenges. They’re not what we want anyway are they? Maybe I’m a Neanderthal that needs to crawl back into my cave but in my mind the world needs GT men, not a bunch of wimps that need to mollycoddled thru life.
If the world had more GT men, who would create the GDU while GT men swapped stories of Glory Days on message boards? (With apologies to Bruce Springsteen.)

Animal02

Banned

at the d
When I was at Tech, the faculty at Tech hated John Portman......probably the most famous Tech architect grad. Rumor had it he had graduated with a (barely) minimum GPA, yet was worth millions. Meanwhile, the assistant Dean of Arch, who had graduated at the same time as Portman, with all the honors, was driving a 15 year old Buick and boring the freshmen with Achitecture History lectures (though it did make a good time to sleep since the auditorium was darkened for the slide projections.)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the world had more GT men, who would create the GDU while GT men swapped stories of Glory Days on message boards? (With apologies to Bruce Springsteen.)

Skeptic, I think you are misunderstanding the point. I believe that Tech men (and women) do NOT look back at their days as their "glory days". Tech was something survived or endured,thus the phrase "got out". If you talk to grads of other schools, they look back with nostalgia and wistful longing. As perhaps the best times of their life. Most of us had fond experiences while at Tech, but they were not because of the school and I daresay most of us would not go back Jack and do it again (with apologies to Steely Dan). I enjoyed life after GT way better. At least the hard work resulted in a paycheck rather than a report card.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Skeptic, I think you are misunderstanding the point. I believe that Tech men (and women) do NOT look back at their days as their "glory days". Tech was something survived or endured,thus the phrase "got out". If you talk to grads of other schools, they look back with nostalgia and wistful longing. As perhaps the best times of their life. Most of us had fond experiences while at Tech, but they were not because of the school and I daresay most of us would not go back Jack and do it again (with apologies to Steely Dan). I enjoyed life after GT way better. At least the hard work resulted in a paycheck rather than a report card.
Nah, I just like picking at Tech guys. My best friend since the second grade is a Tech grad and military retiree. I tolerate the second -- wrong military branch in my view -- and don't hold the first against him. But even you has to admit this thread is kinda long in the tooth now.

LibertyTurns

Banned
and GT women!:)
I’m on campus nearly every football weekend. I’ve noticed the change of scenery !!!!! And yes, the world is a much better place with more GT women.

Between the women, cheap airfares, Uber so you don’t have to worry about drunk driving and 60 billion cable channels for every game or movie imaginable plus the damn internet for entertainment it’s a wonder how anyone graduates these days.

We had a few pin up pictures, a handful of guys whose families were rich enough to afford a wreck to drive, airfares were expensive, had 5-6 tv channels the antenna could pick up and some well worn baseballs/basketballs and footballs for entertainment. It kept us from breaking as many laws and thankfully limited the interactions with police. The surveillance on campus alone now probably would have kept me in jail until about now with all the mischief we were normally involved in.

Animal02

Banned
I’m on campus nearly every football weekend. I’ve noticed the change of scenery !!!!! And yes, the world is a much better place with more GT women.

Between the women, cheap airfares, Uber so you don’t have to worry about drunk driving and 60 billion cable channels for every game or movie imaginable plus the damn internet for entertainment it’s a wonder how anyone graduates these days.

We had a few pin up pictures, a handful of guys whose families were rich enough to afford a wreck to drive, airfares were expensive, had 5-6 tv channels the antenna could pick up and some well worn baseballs/basketballs and footballs for entertainment. It kept us from breaking as many laws and thankfully limited the interactions with police. The surveillance on campus alone now probably would have kept me in jail until about now with all the mischief we were normally involved in.
Yes, I would still be locked up for the things I did at my time at Tech. (Having master keys to the entire campus being one...attempt at theft of the 'T' being another)