‘Ol CPJ’s GT spread option offense

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Man it never ceases to amaze me how negative people on here can be about our team. Trevor Lawrence was still in the game against us with just a few minutes left. You can say our scores were in garbage time, but they were scores Alabama didn't get in garbage time. They were scores Notre Dame didn't get in garbage time. I don't see how some people can get up everyday looking for something to complain about.

At no time in either CFP game did Clemson have its 3rd string Defense on the field the way they did for most of the 2nd half against us.

Deleted member 2897

At no time in either CFP game did Clemson have its 3rd string Defense on the field the way they did for most of the 2nd half against us.

Fake News. You should go rewatch the game video. I'll even give you a hint to save you time - fast forward to 4 minutes left in the game. Total garbage time right? Trevor Lawrence and most of the 1st string offense was still playing. Go watch it. Then keep watching with about 3 minutes left on our next drive and you'll spot guys like Tanner Muse, Shaq Smith, Austin Bryant, Albert Huggins, Clelin Ferrell on defense. Go watch it. Yes they were rotating guys, which they also do throughout the games anyway. And yes they had some backups in. But anybody who says they had all their scrubs in either forgot what happened in the game or they're just trying to stir up trouble.

My question is still - why do people go out of their way to find something to complain about all the time...to the point of even believing things that didn't happen in order to be mad about something? I just don't get it.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Fake News. You should go rewatch the game video. I'll even give you a hint to save you time - fast forward to 4 minutes left in the game. Total garbage time right? Trevor Lawrence and most of the 1st string offense was still playing. Go watch it. Then keep watching with about 3 minutes left on our next drive and you'll spot guys like Tanner Muse, Shaq Smith, Austin Bryant, Albert Huggins, Clelin Ferrell on defense. Go watch it. Yes they were rotating guys, which they also do throughout the games anyway. And yes they had some backups in. But anybody who says they had all their scrubs in either forgot what happened in the game or they're just trying to stir up trouble.

My question is still - why do people go out of their way to find something to complain about all the time...to the point of even believing things that didn't happen in order to be mad about something? I just don't get it.

If anyone seriously thinks we played the same Clemson team in September that Alabama played last night, they are delusional and just continuing to support a false narrative. The only time we did anything on offense in that game was against their 3rd string Defense. Am tired of the false narrative that the previous offense was never to blame for anything. Clearly both sides of the ball failed badly in that game. No offensive scheme can be blameless when it puts the ball on the ground 9 times. That's Jr. High school football.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
If anyone seriously thinks we played the same Clemson team in September that Alabama played last night, they are delusional and just continuing to support a false narrative. The only time we did anything on offense in that game was against their 3rd string Defense. Am tired of the false narrative that the previous offense was never to blame for anything. Clearly both sides of the ball failed badly in that game.

In one big respect we played a better defense than Bama played, but I 100% agree with the sentiment. We were completely dominated by Clemson; offense, defense, special teams.

If anyone seriously thinks we played the same Clemson team in September that Alabama played last night, they are delusional and just continuing to support a false narrative. The only time we did anything on offense in that game was against their 3rd string Defense. Am tired of the false narrative that the previous offense was never to blame for anything. Clearly both sides of the ball failed badly in that game.

Outstanding post

You're a genius!

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Based purely off the reactions of some fans to the multitude of positive news surrounding the hire of Coach Collins, it does appear that some GT fans were more fans of CPJ than of GT. I guess they were Southern or Navy fans? Oh well. CPJ is gone and I like the things that Collins is doing so far.

I would say that most of the GT fans that liked CPJ (notice the order of that) are falling into the traps set by the anti-CPJ fans who are trolling the hell out of everything and are taking potshots at the former staff every opportunity they can.

I loved CPJ. I also think that Collins is building a better complete staff than I thought he would (assuming Key comes).

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
giphy.gif

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Comparing our performance to bama's is a bit silly, BUT comparing our effort to bama's isn't. Our team didn't quit at all. Bama quit at halftime. For all the negative shade people throw at our team sometimes, I do love that our team never gave up like some of our fans.

If there is one thing I want CGC to bring back from last year's team, it is that trait.

Deleted member 2897

If anyone seriously thinks we played the same Clemson team in September that Alabama played last night, they are delusional and just continuing to support a false narrative. The only time we did anything on offense in that game was against their 3rd string Defense. Am tired of the false narrative that the previous offense was never to blame for anything. Clearly both sides of the ball failed badly in that game. No offensive scheme can be blameless when it puts the ball on the ground 9 times. That's Jr. High school football.

Well now you’re just changing the subject. The original argument was that Clemson had their fourth string players in against us, and that’s the only reason why our game was as close as Alabama’s.

I never said that we played well against Clemson or that they didn’t dominate us. I just read on this board that we only scored the points we did because it was garbage time against walk ons and fourth string scrubs. That statement is not true. Anybody who thinks I’m wrong is welcome to pull up the game video like I said, fast forward to four minutes left in the game, and you can see for yourself all the starters that are still in on both sides of the ball.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Comparing our performance to bama's is a bit silly, BUT comparing our effort to bama's isn't. Our team didn't quit at all. Bama quit at halftime. For all the negative shade people throw at our team sometimes, I do love that our team never gave up like some of our fans.

If there is one thing I want CGC to bring back from last year's team, it is that trait.

yep CPJ's teams never quit except maybe in that Detroit bowl and frankly I can't blame them given the circumstances there.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Well now you’re just changing the subject. The original argument was that Clemson had their fourth string players in against us, and that’s the only reason why our game was as close as Alabama’s.

I never said that we played well against Clemson or that they didn’t dominate us. I just read on this board that we only scored the points we did because it was garbage time against walk ons and fourth string scrubs. That statement is not true. Anybody who thinks I’m wrong is welcome to pull up the game video like I said, fast forward to four minutes left in the game, and you can see for yourself all the starters that are still in on both sides of the ball.

it's just not true though. Claiming that Trevor Lawrence was the starting QB at that point is Fake News. The game started with Bryant as the starter. After that game, Lawrence was made the starter. And we didn't score on their first string D except after 2 short-field turnovers caused by our 1st-string Defense. When Clemson was up 42-7 and we scored, that was NOT their 1st-string defense.

The team played hard all game though and you can factually state that it was our defense that got Trevor Lawrence the starting job because it did a good job of limiting Bryant but had no answer to Lawrence. IIRC, Bryant would quit the team the following Monday.

Deleted member 2897

it's just not true though. Claiming that Trevor Lawrence was the starting QB at that point is Fake News. The game started with Bryant as the starter. After that game, Lawrence was made the starter. And we didn't score on their first string D except after 2 short-field turnovers caused by our 1st-string Defense. When Clemson was up 42-7 and we scored, that was NOT their 1st-string defense.

The team played hard all game though and you can factually state that it was our defense that got Trevor Lawrence the starting job because it did a good job of limiting Bryant but had no answer to Lawrence. IIRC, Bryant would quit the team the following Monday.

WATCH THE VIDEO.

Also, You do realize Trevor Lawrence does not play on defense right? Our “scoring in garbage time again fourth string players” Would not include him anyway. Trevor and Kelly were at minimum co-starters anyway. You are really stretching. I highly recommend you watch the video.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
narrative
noun
nar· ra· tive | \ˈner-ə-tiv, ˈna-rə-\
1a: something that is narrated
1b: a way of presenting or understanding a situation or series of events that reflects and promotes a particular point of view or set of values

-------------------------
The reason the word "narrative" is so often used is that it's appropriate way too often. Certain people have points of view that they insist upon repeating until it becomes part of what everyone believes to have been true.

For the record, I'm not pro nor anti-CPJ. I appreciate all that he contributed. I think the offense was fun to watch once you understood the subtleties. I also think that CPJ needed a serious improvement in how he represented Tech and that his behavior, while entertaining, was damaging to success. And I think it was a good time for a change. Like most things in life, CPJ's time at Tech wasn't all good or all bad.

But a few people seem to want the memory of the past 10 years to be painted in a negative light. I'm not sure I understand their motivation, frankly, but I assume it is so that they can claim to have been right on the internet. And they imply (or outright state) that those pointing out that it wasn't all bad are somehow anti-CGC and old-farts who need to go away (as that seems to be the characterization.)
That is a narrative that needs calling out, as it is unnecessarily divisive and does not contribute to the unity of the fan base nor to our success as a program or an Institution. We should all celebrate what was great about the CPJ era and look with enthusiasm to the opportunities in front of us with CGC. The two are not mutually exclusive.

*emphasis added

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
narrative
noun
nar· ra· tive | \ˈner-ə-tiv, ˈna-rə-\
1a: something that is narrated
1b: a way of presenting or understanding a situation or series of events that reflects and promotes a particular point of view or set of values

-------------------------
The reason the word "narrative" is so often used is that it's appropriate way too often. Certain people have points of view that they insist upon repeating until it becomes part of what everyone believes to have been true.

For the record, I'm not pro nor anti-CPJ. I appreciate all that he contributed. I think the offense was fun to watch once you understood the subtleties. I also think that CPJ needed a serious improvement in how he represented Tech and that his behavior, while entertaining, was damaging to success. And I think it was a good time for a change. Like most things in life, CPJ's time at Tech wasn't all good or all bad.

But a few people seem to want the memory of the past 10 years to be painted in a negative light. I'm not sure I understand their motivation, frankly, but I assume it is so that they can claim to have been right on the internet. And they imply (or outright state) that those pointing out that it wasn't all bad are somehow anti-CGC and old-farts who need to go away (as that seems to be the characterization.)
That is a narrative that needs calling out, as it is unnecessarily divisive and does not contribute to the unity of the fan base nor to our success as a program or an Institution. We should all celebrate what was great about the CPJ era and look with enthusiasm to the opportunities in front of us with CGC. The two are not mutually exclusive.

*emphasis added

Can I take that to mean that the people who were divisive before CPJ retired are still divisive? I think it is easily apparent. I don't think it is entirely on the anti-CPJ side though. It seems to be the way internet "discussions", political "discussions", almost all discussions work now. You are either on one side or the other. If you don't agree 100% with what I say, then you are on the other side and are 100% wrong. People argue simply to argue and often seem to even forget what they are actually arguing about. Makes it incredibly hard for level headed people to actually have meaningful discussions.