ZERO commits

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If this years team had a center producing 1/2 to 2/3 of what Moses Wright did last year - this team is above 500 in the ACC.
The point guard play was shaky early in the season, but has improved considerably and is not significant cause for concern.

The two problems I see leading to most losses are - no inside threat on offense (have to rely on jumpers too much, other bigs sag off Howard/Saba/Meka to clog things up, and limited options when players penetrate - the other night I saw Kentucky lob to big several times on penetration - we do not have that threat).
The other issues is lack of strong big on defense - shot blocking, defending the post, etc - which leads to GT needing to be more aggressive and some of the foul disparity.

The #1 priority for next season is a quality big from the transfer portal that can step in a play at ACC level.
--- Howard/Saba/Meka in some combination are good enough already to cover for 5-10 minutes a game, and I do think Saba/Meka can develop with another years work.
--- Not likely any HS player (unless 5*) could step in and play like we would need next season
The 4 spot, I could see us being ok if Khalid Moore chooses to play the extra year, with Jalon Moore playing behind him
--- If Khalid Moore does not come back, I think needs to be addressed via transfer portal.
--- I see a ton of potential in Jalon Moore, but TBD if he is ready to play starter minutes next season or not
I do agree with comments in another thread that CJP should also target a proven wing scorer - gives more room for error to the young players that will be very good in two years (and better next year than this year).

With the play immediately change to the transfer portal - teams can use this to fill gaps. Wake and Miami are good examples that if you get the right players there you can go from 6-14 in league to 14-6.

Curious as well why we have not seen Saba last couple of games. He is the best of the three on offense, but his foot speed and ability to defend quicker players is a liability every ACC team has exploited - hoping he is still growing into that body and improves there .
Nice post. Agree with you but I might pick at your logic just a bit. Specifically, I do think our bigs could execute on high ball screens and rim runs like you saw with KY. Not in any way saying they are as athletic and would be as good as KY but Mecca, Howard and even Saba to some degree can do that. Especially Mecca. They simply haven't been asked to/allowed to in the offense we run - at least until a couple of more recent games. They have generally been asked to be the point person at the elbow in the modified princeton set - a role pretty much all agree they are not suited for and lead to your comment about having other bigs sag off them because they can't shoot a 15 foot jumper reliably.

One of my personal beefs with Pastner is that he should have known better than to stick with this offense after going through off season and pre season workouts with this group of bigs. By sticking with it he dumped on both his bigs who are not effective and then sent his guards/wings going downhill from the foul line off the ball screen action directly into a waiting big clogging the middle. Which further put them in a position of trying to make something happen against a big with a trailing defender but none of the wing defenders dropping off to help (why would they?) So Devoe looks like a pedestrian guard trying to pivot around to get the big in the air with no other place for him to go. (Not that I get worked up about this or anything :unsure:)

With Howard and Mecca at a minimum, the other big has to follow them to the high ball screen or watch Devoe torch them - and then has to follow the big back to the rim at least without being able to stop the guard. And then our guards get a lot more room to work going downhill with a big as a drop off instead of the current nonsense. I think the KY approach would help 2 positions. Adding in some pin down screens and other off ball action would help even more.

Sorry to write 3 paragraphs in response to a post I really do agree with :cool:

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
As it stands, we currently have three spots to offer next year. Potentially less if someone decided to return. Remember we lose a ship due to NCAA sanctions.

The plan from the beginning has been to swing big in the transfer market. We were extremely selective in the HS targets we had, and when we missed on those guys, we turned our attention to the portal.

In my opinion, the outcome of the season to this point has made it clear that strategy is absolutely the right call.

The only way we sign four or five is if more people leave.
Actually, potentially more if some decide to leave. I would not be surprised if no more than 6-7 of our current players and 2-3 of our current coaches are back next year. I think it is time to shake things up.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There are no big wins in the portal. Only guys that find themselves at the bottom of the depth charts with no chance of gaining playing time. If a transfer ends up being a major contributor on his new team, it most likely means his new team did not have any good players. If you are an average player looking for playing time, you search for the worst team you can find.
Lmao, Walker Kessler is a star on #1 Auburn.

Remy Martin went from averaging 20 points a game at Minnesota to providing a ton of guard depth with 9PPG at #8 Kansas.

2 starters on a Texas team that is 18-6 and has been in and out of the top 25 came from the portal.

James Akinjo is averaging 13 points and 6 assists for #10 Baylor after leaving Arizona

Devante Jones starts for Michigan pushing for a tournament spot after leaving Coastal Carolina

Jayden Gardner, a forward from UVA is going to eat us alive tomorrow, as he averages 15 points and 7 rebounds after leaving ECU

I mean, I don’t know if you were trolling or just clueless. Either way, be better

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Lmao, Walker Kessler is a star on #1 Auburn.

Remy Martin went from averaging 20 points a game at Minnesota to providing a ton of guard depth with 9PPG at #8 Kansas.

2 starters on a Texas team that is 18-6 and has been in and out of the top 25 came from the portal.

James Akinjo is averaging 13 points and 6 assists for #10 Baylor after leaving Arizona

Devante Jones starts for Michigan pushing for a tournament spot after leaving Coastal Carolina

Jayden Gardner, a forward from UVA is going to eat us alive tomorrow, as he averages 15 points and 7 rebounds after leaving ECU

I mean, I don’t know if you were trolling or just clueless. Either way, be better
Don't forget the leading scorer in the ACC who is a transfer for Wake.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are no big wins in the portal. Only guys that find themselves at the bottom of the depth charts with no chance of gaining playing time. If a transfer ends up being a major contributor on his new team, it most likely means his new team did not have any good players. If you are an average player looking for playing time, you search for the worst team you can find.
You’ve had a lot of bad, uninformed takes, but this one takes the cake. How many examples do you need?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I know the ACC is down this year but surely there's a good 5 out there frothing at the idea of 30 mpg in the ACC. We shouldn't be a hard sell.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I know the ACC is down this year but surely there's a good 5 out there frothing at the idea of 30 mpg in the ACC. We shouldn't be a hard sell.

It would if you constantly play a 3 at the 5 spot over the three bigs you already have.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
The guys we have gotten from the portal have essentially all been local guys who were sold on coming back home. That’s a difficult strategy to try and execute yearly since we can’t get good high school recruits consistently under Pastner.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Well let’s be candid. The ATL is inundated with talent including big men. JP is unable to recruit ATL players unless they are homesick transfers. Is it charisma shortage or does he not have the ability to develop big men or forwards? Alvarado was an irresistible force that JP could not repress.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Well let’s be candid. The ATL is inundated with talent including big men. JP is unable to recruit ATL players unless they are homesick transfers. Is it charisma shortage or does he not have the ability to develop big men or forwards? Alvarado was an irresistible force that JP could not repress.
CJP is a dork that a 15-18 year old recruit can't relate to at all. It's not rocket science people.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Yet he somehow signed the nation 17th rated class a year ago. I find it ironic that any GT fan would label Pastner a dork.
Not sure where you are pulling the "17th ranked class" from. According to 24/7, the last 4 classes are not ranked/doesn't exist, 30, 75, and 122. Look, i think the guy is a good human being and a pretty good coach, however, there is no arguing he is a world class dork and I honestly believe that affects his ability to recruit.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure where you are pulling the "17th ranked class" from. According to 24/7, the last 4 classes are not ranked/doesn't exist, 30, 75, and 122. Look, i think the guy is a good human being and a pretty good coach, however, there is no arguing he is a world class dork and I honestly believe that affects his ability to recruit.
No place other than Ramblinwreck.com

#educateyourself

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

#educateyourself
D549D57E-04D0-4271-AF5B-793DDA86A6F1.jpeg

A2D3B7EA-D2FF-41C0-B763-C232103E4E98.jpeg

#educateyourself
Why are you so weirdly defensive of JP? He’s a pretty good X’s and O’s coach but it’s painfully obvious the guy can’t recruit. Does 1 good class cancel out 5 really bad ones? He got Usher and Banks out of the portal but other than them he’s struck out there too. You can like the guy, and say he’s a good coach and still point out and acknowledge his flaws. It just so happens one of his flaws is being a very not good recruiter man.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow

#educateyourself
Hate to break it to you, but the article you linked was written after the early signing period not the entire signing period. That class ranking finished #30 but don't let facts get in the way of your argument. #themoreyouknow

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We signed the 17th rated class during the early signing period. That changed by the regular signing day when we didn't anyone else and some teams did.

Regardless last class was a very good class, especially since we effectively added a 4* PG in the same class that goes unreflected in those rankings (lots of teams added transfers fwiw).

Fun fact, Kelly was ranked by 247 87th at the end of his senior year of basketball (as of the 4/15 update). Somehow he dropped nearly 40 spots after the fact including dropping spots after he was already enrolled here. Same thing happened with Deebo. Dropped nearly 20 spots from the mid april update after his senior year was over. Same thing with Moore. He dropped nearly 100 spots starting the may after his senior year.

Also, I laugh at the idea that any of the posters here have any clue over how to relate to high school students or think that a guy like Pastner is less relatable than any of the octogenarians we have floating around. If Pastner has a weakness recruiting it's likely he's not dishonest enough with recruits which also probably explains why we've had success luring multi year transfers back so consistently.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
We signed the 17th rated class during the early signing period. That changed by the regular signing day when we didn't anyone else and some teams did.

Regardless last class was a very good class, especially since we effectively added a 4* PG in the same class that goes unreflected in those rankings (lots of teams added transfers fwiw).

Fun fact, Kelly was ranked by 247 87th at the end of his senior year of basketball (as of the 4/15 update). Somehow he dropped nearly 40 spots after the fact including dropping spots after he was already enrolled here. Same thing happened with Deebo. Dropped nearly 20 spots from the mid april update after his senior year was over. Same thing with Moore. He dropped nearly 100 spots starting the may after his senior year.

Also, I laugh at the idea that any of the posters here have any clue over how to relate to high school students or think that a guy like Pastner is less relatable than any of the octogenarians we have floating around. If Pastner has a weakness recruiting it's likely he's not dishonest enough with recruits which also probably explains why we've had success luring multi year transfers back so consistently.
His strength supposed to be recruiting, dishonest or honest he's having a hard time recruiting. Let me change that, he's having a hard time bringing in top recruits.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The assistant coaches need to step it up in recruiting. One man can't do it all and the kids have to relate to the guys recruiting them. Our assistant coaches may be good working with improving skills, scouting, game management, etc but so far no A+ in recruiting. I wouldn't even give them a C. We are not a one and done program. Far from it.