ZERO commits

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That’s a highly depressing thought. One out of every 4 years we have a shot at making the NCAAT. That is very close to being irrelevant in college basketball. Basketball is a sport we actually have a chance to be a top 1/3 ACC team most years.

The get old stay old is something JP, came up with to make you focus on other things besides bringing in top recruits. Most of the fans that have been following GT basketball for years, should know that we can get the high profile recruits, the one and done. It's been shown by coach cremins and hewitt. I remember when GT use to have several rookies of the year, but now a coach come in and say it's hard to recruit at a place like GT, no it's hard for him to recruit at a place like GT.
What's the monetary value of the bags you're willing to commit to dropping on an annual basis?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That said, where do we go from here? My fear with us was that we're now on that 90's-00's mid-major track where you're great one year (when all your guys are seniors) then you disappear for the next 3-4 years.

We do need to balance things out more. The transfer portal is a very useful tool for that and allows for greater flexibility with rosters than in the past.

That being said, where we go is to try and iterate on what we have done in a better way. Last year we had a great year but we didn't really have any wiggle room to get in Sturdy/Howard/Saba more. What we have to do is try to make sure the next "peak" is better so that we can get the back ups more ready to take over when the starters leave. It is somewhat cyclical, in both directions, better teams have more opportunities to play their bench which makes them more ready to take over when the times comes.

Now, are we on that path? IMO to answer that question compare this roster (who will be here in two years) to the 18-19 roster.

18-19 had Jose, Mike, Moses, Cole, Khalid, Haywood, and Sjolund.

This year we have

Smith, Sturdy, Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, Jalon Moore, Meka, Howard, and Saba who could be back in two years.

Now we have the benefit of hindsight with the 18-19 group. We don't know who will transfer out or not use the covid eligibility or whatever of the current group.

Now, of the 18-19 group Jose and Mike had already proven more than any of the guys we have now, but hadn't really proven to be stars yet. Jose was shooting under 40% overall and under 30% from the three. Mike was a 10 a game scorer but you could argue he's output was higher due to opportunity when compared to say Coleman or Kelly. Moses had just started to come along at the end of his sophomore year the last 7 or 8 games. Haywood, Cole, and Moore had shown flashes, but nothing that really stood out. IMO the current group of young players has a higher ceiling as a group than that above. Now that does assume they stay together which we don't know.

Of course the above group also added Ush and Bubba to help out as they developed.

So where do we go. Ideally we can "replace" Ush and Mike with senior transfers out of the portal. It's a tall task but we've seen it play out in conference already. IF that can happen, and we develop our young guys we could push the time table up a year relative to that 18-19 group. If that's the case then we should be set to handle the losses of the transfers with the players we have. Otherwise we have to hope that when we "peak" with the next group they can create more separation in more games to allow us to get game experience for the back ups to be more ready. Fortunately IMO we have more raw talent with this young group and several of the key pieces have 3 more years of eligibility left rather than 2, so that could also lead to an easier "sustain" than the 18-19 group.

The reality is no matter how we build up the roster you have to be able to deal with departures. Better recruiting will make that easier, but also also probably increases the frequency you have to replace guys.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What elite recruit would want to play for us right now? Our best player in the last 10-15 years isn’t even on a NBA roster. Half of these recruits were like 6 years old for the Derrick Favors season.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Don’t give me the money crap excuse for basketball recruiting. Hell even pre-NIL Tech has just as much to sell as 90% of the programs in the country. Every time I check instagram someone is paying Devoe for something. There’s 0 excuse for us to be this mediocre in basketball. 0. Football is another story, but there’s no magic staff hire or facility we can’t afford in basketball. All these recruits we target, the music, fashion, culture they love is being made and exist blocks away from campus. At the end of the day we need to stop making excuses and admit Pastners recruiting ability just isn’t on par with what’s needed here.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I notice all you keep referring to is money, that's not going to take the focus off, what is happening on the court.
Well, if your complaint is about higher tier players, they're getting compensated going forward, so that involves money.

If your complaint is about staff, to fire anyone or hire better, that involves money.

If your complaint is about quality of resources, like locker rooms or equipment, costs money to upgrade those things.

I just wanna confirm that you're strictly a complainer who has no intention of being part of the solution while confirming you'll gladly latch on to the benefits others may provide. Feels like you've done that. Thank you.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don’t give me the money crap excuse for basketball recruiting. Hell even pre-NIL Tech has just as much to sell as 90% of the programs in the country. Every time I check instagram someone is paying Devoe for something. There’s 0 excuse for us to be this mediocre in basketball. 0. Football is another story, but there’s no magic staff hire or facility we can’t afford in basketball. All these recruits we target, the music, fashion, culture they love is being made and exist blocks away from campus. At the end of the day we need to stop making excuses and admit Pastners recruiting ability just isn’t on par with what’s needed here.
Sounds like another complainer waiting to swim in the wake of others. Thanks for alerting us.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like another complainer waiting to swim in the wake of others. Thanks for alerting us.
Is it complaining if it’s the truth? Is this complaining : We play in the most historically recognized and celebrated conference in America, and somehow we don’t have a legit Center. Our best option is a cast away from our dwindling rival, who by the way recruits at a higher clip. That’s not a Tech problem, that’s not money problem, that is a staff failure.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is it complaining if it’s the truth? Is this complaining : We play in the most historically recognized and celebrated conference in America, and somehow we don’t have a legit Center. Our best option is a cast away from our dwindling rival, who by the way recruits at a higher clip. That’s not a Tech problem, that’s not money problem, that is a staff failure.
What's your solution? I see your complaints.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, if your complaint is about higher tier players, they're getting compensated going forward, so that involves money.

If your complaint is about staff, to fire anyone or hire better, that involves money.

If your complaint is about quality of resources, like locker rooms or equipment, costs money to upgrade those things.

I just wanna confirm that you're strictly a complainer who has no intention of being part of the solution while confirming you'll gladly latch on to the benefits others may provide. Feels like you've done that. Thank you.
you made all those comments but didn't knowledge the record of the team, that we are rooting for. I notice all you are doing is dodging what's going on by bringing up other things.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What's your solution? I see your complaints.
Simple change in philosophy, if it takes getting rid of Pastner so be it. If anyone with any sense of pride in the program is left in the AD maybe they can tell him we have and should recruit with the best of the best and if we can’t it’s a reflection of the person of doing it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
you made all those comments but didn't knowledge the record of the team, that we are rooting for. I notice all you are doing is dodging what's going on by bringing up other things.
Well, the team's record is poor this year and I haven't been complaining every day. You're welcome.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Simple change in philosophy, if it takes getting rid of Pastner so be it. If anyone with any sense of pride in the program is left in the AD maybe they can tell him we have and should recruit with the best of the best and if we can’t it’s a reflection of the person of doing it.
So you're suggesting things that cost money, but saying we don't need money to get it done?