Your First GT QB

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Shawn Jones. I must have thrown thousands of passes in my parent's backyard as a kid pretending to be Jones. Probably one of the most underrated GT athletes even though he won us a National Championship. Still doesn't get the love that most other GT QBs do.

He was my all time favorite quarterback.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
“The Young Lefthander.” As a very young child I thought he was capable of winning any game he was in.

Somehow as a child I missed the fact that he often shared quarterback duties and his passing yards by today’s standards would not be impressive. But I saw him as a quarterback who could drop back in the pocket, or keep it around the end for a big gain, or run the option on the belly series.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
While I remember Mike Kelly and Jim Bob Taylor, it really starts when I came to Tech "with" John Dewberry (both of us lived in Athens the year before). Brutal games that first years but still fun to watch. While I wasn't there, I know several folks would have great memories of Dewberry apparently partying hard one night in east dorms - think that was Harrison.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Rudy Allen.

Jasper Thanks is my favorite all time play. Close in the running are Calvin’s catch, Goose is Loose, Nesbit gimme dat, Dwyer’s broke that *****’s ankles followed by Roddy Jones tiptoeing on the sidelines, then there’s the Kick and Pick and the Miracle at Techwood. I picked Jasper Thanks because I believe it was the first most amazing GT football play I ever witnessed. I didn’t select any plays where I was not at the game. Been fortunate to see some great ones.

Edit: Oops I was in error- missed the Kick and Pick game

GT1988

Jolly Good Fellow
Born in 88. Joe Ham was the first QB I remembered but honestly didn’t care at all about sports until high school. So Reggie was my first QB while actively rooting for the Jackets. I know he gets a bad rep (4th down, 0-4 against uga, etc etc) but he really gave it his all and you could tell he cared and that’s really all we can ask for.

Favorite memories of him were both wins against Auburn, that big win against #3 Miami and any time he threw Calvin’s way.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was a Tennessee fan when I transferred into Tech 1987. Did not go to my first game until 1989. Beating the Mutts on our own field. Shawn Jones baby! 1990 hooked me. What a year to be alive. Throw in Tech BB and waiting outside all night as a student to get a duke or NC ticket. WOW!

My first year as a GT fan was 1990. Imagine falling in love with GT sports and the only thing you know is the National Championship and Final Four.

Talk about setting a high bar from the start.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
So, I had started a thread within a thread about everyone’s first Tech game and I noticed a few Billy Lothridge mentions.

For another thread, how about your first GT QB when you started following Tech and what was your favorite memory/play/game?

all I have to say is: The Goose.
its insane that I remember him when I was so young. I grew up with Reggie and I will always have his back. He loves Tech. Of course - Calvin’s NC State catch

what say you?
The "young left-hander", mainly, but my true first had to be whoever preceded him..

Edit: After reading this entire thread, and not the first post, I see we've got a bunch of kids around here...which is good!!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I was ostensibly a fan of Tech my whole life, but not really actively following sports until I was a student. So I'll go with freshman year in 99 and of course little Joe.