Your Choice for OC

Who would you like HCBK to hire as our Offense Coordinator?

• Tashard Choice (RB Coach - Texas)

• Danny Enos (OC/QB Coach - Maryland)

• Josh Gattis (OC/WR Coach - Miami)

• George Godsey (TE Coach - Baltimore Ravens)

• Chris Weinke (QB Coach - Georgia Tech)

• Other

• Willie Korn (OC/QB Coach - Coastal Carolina)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
To me this hire will really set the tone for Keys tenure at Tech. If he chooses a "tech man" that would not be considered for any other OC job in the country, then I have a really bad feeling for how this is all going to go. We need a solid hire here to turn the O around quickly and I think if we can keep some folks out of the portal we have a lot of the pieces we will need. I understand budget constraints, we aren't going to be hiring Garett Riley ect, but an up and coming OC in his mold could be exciting.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I started at Tech at the same time as Gailey. I would LOVE to see a passing-oriented team for a change.

Godsey would seem to be an obvious choice coming from the pre-Gailey era, and his name keeps coming up, but I don't see the track record to make him be on that list outside of that connection... so... maybe not please?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a big fan of co-coordinators. I'd much rather have a single point of failure for performance, much easier to address responsibilities that way.

I am a fan of waiting on Riley to say no. Enos would be interesting interview, multiple opportunities, ACC experience, HC history.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
To me this hire will really set the tone for Keys tenure at Tech. If he chooses a "tech man" that would not be considered for any other OC job in the country, then I have a really bad feeling for how this is all going to go. We need a solid hire here to turn the O around quickly and I think if we can keep some folks out of the portal we have a lot of the pieces we will need. I understand budget constraints, we aren't going to be hiring Garett Riley ect, but an up and coming OC in his mold could be exciting.

Rumored Key wanted Zach Kittley at Western Kentucky last season (now at Texas Tech), some rumors that Key is looking at Bryan Ellis at GA Southern (was Co OC with Kittley at WKU last year) now.

Key clearly wants someone who is well versed at putting the ball in the air. Both coaches are from the Air Raid school. Ellis also almost had a 1,000 yard rusher this season as well. I won't say Ellis is a "balanced" Air Raid guy (565 pass attempts vs 350 rush attempts) but there is a good running game there. Comparing Ellis to Riley brothers this season, Lincoln was pretty much 50/50 pass run (422 pass/414 run), while Garrett Riley was heavier on the run (366 pass/460 run).

I don't see us getting Garrett Riley, there's going to be a LOT of money thrown at him this year, but I can see Key speaking with him about who he thinks would be a good OC for us or his thoughts on some Air Raid guys out there.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Choice is a little understandable to me as he has been up for position coach awards and is known as a great recruiter and a coach on the rise, nationally. However, he has zero play calling/coordinating experience.

Godsey, on the other hand, has mostly just been a journeyman position coach throughout the NFL. His name wouldn’t even be in the same stratosphere as the job opening if he didn’t play for Tech.
I completely agree.
I want Choice back on the staff not because he is a Tech man but because he is the best RB coach in the nation and one of the best recruiters (I give him a slight edge over Dell McGee because Dell has the advantage that it is easier to bring in higher level talent to ugag than Tech). I just don't see him coming back to be only a RB coach but I don't think he has the resume to be our OC. We may be able to get him back as a co-OC with the other co-OC being a proven play caller.

However, Godsey is ONLY in the discussion because he is a Tech man which is why I don't think he is a good option.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It will be interesting to see how attractive the GT OC position is.

If McCollum stays in the portal and Smith doesn't return, next season's O could be worse than this season's O. The OL appeared to be getting a little better later in the season, but depth appears to be a significant concern there.

IMO the talent level on the offensive side of the ball is not very high and potential OC's are going to weigh that as part of their decision making process.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly Chadwell can't get a P5 job because he wants to bring his DC Staggs with him, not because his offense has a stigma.
What defense does Coach Staggs run? Is his "stigma" because of the scheme or his personality or something else? Does he run something like the old split 60? (TIC) At one time 30 years or so, Virginia Tech and UGA were the only two major college teams still running that defense. Pretty successfully it would seem.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Rumored Key wanted Zach Kittley at Western Kentucky last season (now at Texas Tech), some rumors that Key is looking at Bryan Ellis at GA Southern (was Co OC with Kittley at WKU last year) now.

Key clearly wants someone who is well versed at putting the ball in the air. Both coaches are from the Air Raid school. Ellis also almost had a 1,000 yard rusher this season as well. I won't say Ellis is a "balanced" Air Raid guy (565 pass attempts vs 350 rush attempts) but there is a good running game there. Comparing Ellis to Riley brothers this season, Lincoln was pretty much 50/50 pass run (422 pass/414 run), while Garrett Riley was heavier on the run (366 pass/460 run).

I don't see us getting Garrett Riley, there's going to be a LOT of money thrown at him this year, but I can see Key speaking with him about who he thinks would be a good OC for us or his thoughts on some Air Raid guys out there.
I’m a fan of the Air Raid and wanted it to be our direction after CPJ left. I do hope Key goes this direction. I do think it’s really funny that Key had been the “run game coordinator” and is now looking to sling the rock around.

Edit to add: I like the Lincoln Riley version of air raid more than traditional, but I truly am good with any of the off shoots.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

Before I throw my preferred name out there, I do want to do some serious man crushin' on LR. Did you catch the USC-UCLA game? He called Midline from the gun and Caleb Williams read the 3 perfectly - pulled it and ran it in untouched for a TD. He also joked in an interview that he should probably give up his Air Raid credentials since he runs it far more often than other Air Raid systems. I've since dubbed his offense the "Power Raid".

OK, my guy is Bill Bedenbaugh. Tough as nails OL coach. Played and coached for Mike Leach. Was OC or co-OC at Arizona, Texas Tech, West Virginia (under Dana Holgorson), Bob Stoops, and Lincoln Riley. Also coached at Valdosta State. Currently the OL coach at OU so rubbing elbows with Jeff Lebby. That's a serious who's-who of offensive-minded coaches that he's had a chance to work with, most notably the man himself, Lincoln Riley.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m surprised people think Willy Korn would leave Chadwell, a coach who clearly is on his way to a bigger job, for another OC gig at an average program. Korn and Chadwell have been together nearly 15 years. That ain’t changing for the GT OC job.thiswasa"wish"list
I think this was a "wish" list.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Before I throw my preferred name out there, I do want to do some serious man crushin' on LR. Did you catch the USC-UCLA game? He called Midline from the gun and Caleb Williams read the 3 perfectly - pulled it and ran it in untouched for a TD. He also joked in an interview that he should probably give up his Air Raid credentials since he runs it far more often than other Air Raid systems. I've since dubbed his offense the "Power Raid".
I thought about tagging you in a post while I was watching the USC game. I am pretty sure two of the touchdown runs were from the shot gun midline. It was beautiful.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

If McCollum stays in the portal and Smith doesn't return, next season's O could be worse than this season's O. The OL appeared to be getting a little better later in the season, but depth appears to be a significant concern there.

IMO the talent level on the offensive side of the ball is not very high and potential OC's are going to weigh that as part of their decision making process.
If that right guy comes in (Riley one can hope) I’d imagine it make GT a much more attractive spot to offensive players in the portal.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Smith walked for Senior Day, which is generally an indication that they aren't coming back.

From the AJC:

"Before the game, 16 Tech players are expected take part in Senior Day ceremonies. They are safety Derrik Allen, defensive back Kenny Bennett, wide receiver Malachi Carter, defensive tackle T.K. Chimedza, linebacker Ayinde Eley, running back Hassan Hall, tight end PeJé Harris, wide receiver E.J. Jenkins, safety Jaylon King, offensive lineman Cade Kootsouradis, cornerback Myles Sims, running back Dontae Smith, linebacker Charlie Thomas, cornerback Zamari Walton and defensive ends Keion White and Sylvain Yondjouen."

I don't disagree with your stance that this offense is losing some its best players. Included the quote from Augusta to show the ones who walked on senior day as well as McCollum(please come back).

One thing we can look at... and I definitely think its worth looking at... is the offensive line. Round of applause to Cade K. for getting through in 3 years. Thats tremendous. But outside of him we are not losing a starter or depth on the offensive line (pending portal transfers that happen). I think that might be something that potential OC's will also look at and see as a benefit of coming to Tech.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
One potential candidate who I had forgotten is available is Paul Chryst. Apparently he has a decent bit of experience coaching TEs at P5 and NFL programs, so he could do what Long was supposed to do. He also seems to share CBK’s hard-nosed offensive philosophy. Might he be someone we could bring in?
Would we be on the hook for his $11 million buy out if we hired him ? His program at UW attracted good OL, DL and LB. QBs not so much.
BTW , he is about as exciting as a bowl of cold oatmeal...........:sleep:

Last edited:

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
If we can throw any serious money at any position of need right now, it should be the OC spot.
This is where we could do what Dabo did and spend money on some key difference maker position coaches

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I’m a fan of the Air Raid and wanted it to be our direction after CPJ left. I do hope Key goes this direction. I do think it’s really funny that Key had been the “run game coordinator” and is now looking to sling the rock around.

Edit to add: I like the Lincoln Riley version of air raid more than traditional, but I truly am good with any of the off shoots.
No disrespect to this. I just think Key is more of a physical style coach and air raid doesn't seem to embody the way he coaches the kids to play.

Either way, anxious to get the ball rolling

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

Better o-line makes replacing skill guys easier.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect to this. I just think Key is more of a physical style coach and air raid doesn't seem to embody the way he coaches the kids to play.

Either way, anxious to get the ball rolling
I was responding to someone specifically saying he was looking into Air Raid. I agree with you, by the way, and would have guessed he was looking for a more power sort of football.

Regardless, I want a HC who is able to adapt to his players more than anything, with coordinators capable of doing the same.