Your Choice for OC

Who would you like HCBK to hire as our Offense Coordinator?

• Tashard Choice (RB Coach - Texas)

• Danny Enos (OC/QB Coach - Maryland)

• Josh Gattis (OC/WR Coach - Miami)

• George Godsey (TE Coach - Baltimore Ravens)

• Chris Weinke (QB Coach - Georgia Tech)

• Other

• Willie Korn (OC/QB Coach - Coastal Carolina)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MarineScout1

Banned
I want to see us use a pro set, smash mouth type offense. No more RPOs, options and other type offenses. I think Key is a win the LOS type guy. We may very well see an OC that can bring that.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I want to see us use a pro set, smash mouth type offense. No more RPOs, options and other type offenses. I think Key is a win the LOS type guy. We may very well see an OC that can bring that.
First post! Welcome.

You'll find that never disagree here. And never, ever get into personal back-and-forth kerfuffle's. Feel free to criticize our new coach on the day he's announced and predict his failure. We support that type of negativism here because of free speech! And it helps us land recruits as well. ;)

Seriously, welcome and I love your thinking!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would think that Key wants all of those concepts to be in the toolbox to be used as the situation calls for. Given the state of our red zone offense under TFG, it would make sense to have goal line packages for Taisun that would include Wildcat and option concepts including Zone Read, Inverted Veer, Power Option, and Speed Option. If Pyron takes a while to heal properly and we need to design a playbook around Gibson’s strengths, I would imagine that the run game will involve more Inside Zone and Outside Zone, and the pass game would likely emphasize West Coast concepts.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You have to have elite OL play and RBs to win like that. It’s why even places like Alabama and Georgia phased it out in favor more spread friendly, RPO based offenses. Only Michigan really just lines up in traditional pro style and runs it down your throat now, and they have elite OL and RBs. They still got clobbered when they faced UGA last year, only 91 rushing yards at 3.4 YPC.

If Saban and Kirby have decided it’s more efficient and more successful to run multiple offensive looks, and it’s worked out for them, why would we try to move the needle backwards? If anything we should try to be more innovative with even more looks and concepts. We basically played 2 different styles of football with 2 different QBs across the last 2 games of the year against UNC and UGA. We gave their defenses multiple looks and multiple different things they needed to focus and key in on. Even though those teams had much better talent than we do we were able to have success moving the ball offensively.

Like @TromboneJacket just said, there’s no reason to limit the available tools, especially when we’re going to be playing against more talented teams on paper pretty regularly.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You have to have elite OL play and RBs to win like that. It’s why even places like Alabama and Georgia phased it out in favor more spread friendly, RPO based offenses. Only Michigan really just likes up in traditional pro style and runs it down your throat now, and they have elite OL and RBs. They still got clobbered when they faced UGA last year, only 91 rushing yards at 3.4 YPC.

If Saban and Kirby have decided it’s more efficient and more successful to run multiple offenses looks, and it’s worked out for them, why would we try to move the needle backwards? If anything we should try to be more innovative with even more looks and concepts. We basically played 2 different styles of football with 2 different QBs across the last 2 games of the year against UNC and UGA. We have their defenses multiple looks and multiple different things they needed to focus and key in on. Even though those teams had much better talent than we do we were able to have success moving the ball offensively.

Like @TromboneJacket just said, there’s no reason to limit the available tools, especially when we’re going to be playing against more talented teams on paper pretty regularly.
Those offenses are easy to scheme against. They are also easy to stop when you have better athletes and more skilled players, which most of opponents will have. I would love to have the personnel to just line up and beat the snot out of our opponent, but I live here on earth and not Imaginationland.

Here on earth, where Tech has a disadvantage in player personnel, we need to run an offense that is difficult to out scheme or out athlete. As a matter of fact, I do not care what we run as long as it is effective at scoring points. Scott Littrell's offense scores points.

1670350763441.png

Last edited:

LawyersGuns&Money

Georgia Tech Fan
I’d like someone out of the Western Kentucky school, those offensive coordinators out of there have done huge things there and most places they’ve been hired off to.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I still believe that Key has a very short list of OC candidates that he’s evaluating and perhaps vetting. Some of these prospective candidates may be involved in championship games with their current programs and don’t want the distraction or are possibly slow playing things with GT to make sure they understand all of their options. Truth is the more HC that have transitioned to new schools have created a ripple effect and caused more hiring/transitions so it’s a quickly changing field of prospects. Just wish we knew what we had for purposes of recruiting. It’s got to be extra extra tough on offering offensive players with offensive position coaches that are here but may not be when the recruits enroll or having scholarship offers go out to prospective recruits that wouldn’t match up with the new OC preferences. It seems like this hire has to be a very critical spoke in the wheel of the philosophy of the team/staff. Heck who knows the guy may be a “silent hire” not announced until after their team is done for the year.
Key has had 8 weeks to create a list of potential hires and perhaps even spoken to them about working with him prior to his hiring as the GT HC

MarineScout1

Banned
You have to have elite OL play and RBs to win like that. It’s why even places like Alabama and Georgia phased it out in favor more spread friendly, RPO based offenses. Only Michigan really just lines up in traditional pro style and runs it down your throat now, and they have elite OL and RBs. They still got clobbered when they faced UGA last year, only 91 rushing yards at 3.4 YPC.

If Saban and Kirby have decided it’s more efficient and more successful to run multiple offensive looks, and it’s worked out for them, why would we try to move the needle backwards? If anything we should try to be more innovative with even more looks and concepts. We basically played 2 different styles of football with 2 different QBs across the last 2 games of the year against UNC and UGA. We gave their defenses multiple looks and multiple different things they needed to focus and key in on. Even though those teams had much better talent than we do we were able to have success moving the ball offensively.

Yes and no. Having elite size and talent just makes it easier. However; blocking schemes can make or break a team. I look at Kyle Shanahan and his "undersized" linemen. CPJ had one thing right, you can over scheme a team. I think we can be nasty and mobile on the O-line and compete just fine.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes and no. Having elite size and talent just makes it easier. However; blocking schemes can make or break a team. I look at Kyle Shanahan and his "undersized" linemen. CPJ had one thing right, you can over scheme a team. I think we can be nasty and mobile on the O-line and compete just fine.
San Francisco runs a zone blocking scheme, which is why they have lighter and more agile lineman. They are not a great example of smash mouth run blocking team.

MarineScout1

Banned
First post! Welcome.

You'll find that never disagree here. And never, ever get into personal back-and-forth kerfuffle's. Feel free to criticize our new coach on the day he's announced and predict his failure. We support that type of negativism here because of free speech! And it helps us land recruits as well. ;)

Seriously, welcome and I love your thinking!
Thanks for the welcome. I have an old school style of thinking. I am ok with people disagreeing with me. I am married with 3 daughters, I am wrong at least 10 times a day.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but if you’re going to “over-scheme” a team, you can’t do it in just a straight up power pro-style offense. To win like that you have to physically be bigger, stronger, and faster than your opponent. Do you really think CPJs teams would’ve had any success if they just lined up in Ace sets with 3 WRs and a TE and tried to run inside power? CPJs smaller offensive lines worked because of the option play calls, the zone blocking, and the motion that happened in the backfield, not in spite of it.

Kyle Shanahan’s undersized lineman? Dude, what? The 49ers OL looks like:
LT: 6’5” 320lbs
LG: 6’5” 325lbs
C: 6’4” 299lbs
RG: 6’4” 300lbs
RT: 6’8 310lbs
What part of that OL is undersized? Not to mention Myle Shanahan is well regarded as being one of the best and innovative offensive minds in the game. He turned Deebo Samuel into a superstar because of the different looks and positions he puts him in.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but if you’re going to “over-scheme” a team, you can’t do it in just a straight up power pro-style offense. To win like that you have to physically be bigger, stronger, and faster than your opponent. Do you really think CPJs teams would’ve had any success if they just lined up in Ace sets with 3 WRs and a TE and tried to run inside power? CPJs smaller offensive lines worked because of the option play calls, the zone blocking, and the motion that happened in the backfield, not in spite of it.

What part of that OL is undersized? Not to mention Myle Shanahan is well regarded as being one of the best and innovative offensive minds in the game. He turned Deebo Samuel into a superstar because of the different looks and positions he puts him in.
I agree with most of your post, but San Fran's OL could be considered undersized in that they are bit light compared to other OLs. They are still pretty long, but also very agile, as they run most zone blocking scheme. But, yes, calling Kyle Shanahan's scheme a smash mouth offense is not really accurate.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I agree with most of your post, but San Fran's OL could be considered undersized in that they are bit light compared to other OLs. They are still pretty long, but also very agile, as they run most zone blocking scheme. But, yes, calling Kyle Shanahan's scheme a smash mouth offense is not really accurate.
The Cowboys, who are probably the best power running team in the NFL, have an OL that looks like this:
LG: 6’5” 308lbs
C: 6’3” 316lbs
RG: 6’4” 315lbs
RT: 6’6” 310lbs
There’s really not any difference there. The 9ers are bigger at LT, LG, and RT, and the Cowboys are bigger at C and RG. Most NFL OLs are built basically the same. The only real differences come in their skill sets and what certain teams are looking for to fit their offensive schemes.

At any count, if you’re going to line up and try to power, “smash mouth” your way down the field, you have to physically dominate your opponent up front. Expecting Tech to do that on a consistent basis is silly. We can still be very physical and very strong on the OL, but using multiple different sets, concepts, and looks is the best way for us to be successful in the long run.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
still believe that Key has a very short list of OC candidates that he’s evaluating and perhaps vetting. Some of these prospective candidates may be involved in championship games with their current programs and don’t want the distraction

After last weeks games, any OC hired will be announced immediately, If we are lucky enough to hire someone coaching in the playoffs, we would announce it ASAP even if we let them coach the playoffs (unlikely). We are 15 days away from the first signing day. We really need to have the OC/DC settled on by the end of this week most likely in order to finalize the recruiting for this year and make any changes necessary in relations to current offensive recruits.

MarineScout1

Banned

I recall him having smaller O linemen, in the past.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
San Francisco runs a zone blocking scheme, which is why they have lighter and more agile lineman. They are not a great example of smash mouth run blocking team.
A lot of teams that are considered smash mouth running teams run zone. Just look at Alabama with Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I agree about the LOS, smash mouth, but I never want to eliminate things that can be used whatever they may be in order to be effective offensively. I think CBK will probably recruit such that we are really strong along the LOS both sides, just my guess. That is still where championship FB is won I believe, hasn't changed since Heisman was coaching.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
A lot of teams that are considered smash mouth running teams run zone. Just look at Alabama with Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson.
Do you think Kyle Shanahan's offense is a "smash mouth type offense" that does not run "RPOs, options, or other type offense?"

I will add that while Bama sometimes just lines them up and runs people over, that is not an accurate description of their offenses over the past decade. Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian brought a lot horizontal passing, RPO and screen passes in the spread formations that loosened up the run game, but they are not relying on smash mouth running out of the pro set anymore.

Last edited: