Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chriscarter

Georgia Tech Fan
I voted Deion. I understand he has limited experience, but recruiting is 50% of the battle. I dont see Key or Chadwell bringing in the recruits to compete in power 5 conference place. Chadwell is the best coach on the list so can't argue against him if hired.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
A lot of folks have questioned whether IHCBK is the right man for the job because of ugly losses to UVA, FSU and Miami. To me, the UVA game is the real head scratcher.

But at the same time, it seems reasonable to ask how #21 Pitt fans felt about losing to Tech in BK's first game as HC. Or how #15 UNC fans felt about dropping a game to us at home last week. Tennessee beats Alabama and gets blown out by SC? Games like these happen.

So, given where the Tech FB program is at present, I'm not sure that our W-L record is the best overall indicator of BK's potential as a HC. Instead, I would look to see whether the team has turned a corner, gotten back on track, and begun making incremental improvements that add up over time.
  • Has practice intensity been dialed up?
  • Does the team look better prepared come game time?
  • Are better sideline decisions being made?
  • Are the players saying good things about and staying loyal to their coach?
  • Are we still picking up quality recruits despite the uncertainties?
The answers to these questions appear to be an unequivocal "Yes".

Key may not get the job, but if he doesn't, I don't think that the three losses will be the reason. Citing them against BK's candidacy for HC is not a valid argument.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

Key may not get the job, but if he doesn't, I don't think that the three losses will be the reason. Citing them against BK's candidacy for HC is not a valid argument.
Some problem with the question set is the first 1-3 are almost inevitabilities by replacing xcgc, 4 might be directly tied to team success and 5 can be attributed partly to the Institute, see our latest 4*QB commit.
I agree the answer to all is yes and also agree Key may not be the man. I think he has acquitted himself well and serves as a fine candidate for the role. I think we go another direction, unless he slays the #1 Saturday, then emotions may become a decision making variable.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A lot of posters have commented that they would be satisfied with more than one of the choices. So perhaps we won't be as divided a fanbase as we sometimes are.
That is quite true...right up until the first rough patch. Then the knives will start to come back out.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A lot of folks have questioned whether IHCBK is the right man for the job because of ugly losses to UVA, FSU and Miami. To me, the UVA game is the real head scratcher.

But at the same time, it seems reasonable to ask how #21 Pitt fans felt about losing to Tech in BK's first game as HC. Or how #15 UNC fans felt about dropping a game to us at home last week. Tennessee beats Alabama and gets blown out by SC? Games like these happen.

So, given where the Tech FB program is at present, I'm not sure that our W-L record is the best overall indicator of BK's potential as a HC. Instead, I would look to see whether the team has turned a corner, gotten back on track, and begun making incremental improvements that add up over time.

We could have won the games we should have and lost to the better teams and there would still be questions. Winning against Pitt and UNC is better for Key than winning UVA and Miami. Of course winning them all would have been the best.

Collins was bad, real bad. The question is Key good, real good. It appears Key is not real bad, check.

Can he spot hidden/rough talent
Can he recruit good talent , not just stars
Can he develop talent or help direct others to develop talent
Can he get our 40 rank average talent to play and perform at a top 25 level
Can he coach/direct OC and DC effectively to make changes as needed to perform better
Can he turn around a program

Can GT find someone who has already done the above.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I am holding steady with Deion because he provides the most upside of any candidate. It's true, he also has a bigger bust potential, but the upside is NC with him. I don't feel that upside with any other candidate. It's possible IF an offensive guru actually finds and hires a very good DC (something that eluded CPJ) or if a defensive-minded HC finds a good OC.

At the end of the search, when the new coach is announced, I'll get behind them and GT football. I just hope we avoid the very uninspired choice...the safe choice. Just say no.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we hire BoB , i assume we have plenty of money to fire him in 2 years and hire a better coach.

If we are slowly building a war chest, i support going w Key .
. He gets next year and maybe the following to show he can take us to solid winning culture.

In 2 years we need to show gt is serious about being CONSISTENTLY in top 30

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I've been focused on Chadwell and Key comments and arguments and haven't paid much attention to the arguments for BOB. He hasn't gotten a lot of votes in the poll, and more than one poster has basically said, "Hell, no."

But given some of the latest chatter (allegedly coming out of Alabama country), I took a look at his resume. Not too shabby.

So, what am I missing? What's the big turn-off about BOB?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

Since of the small money guys don't like him.

Crypto Invest GIF by Paxful

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I've been focused on Chadwell and Key comments and arguments and haven't paid much attention to the arguments for BOB. He hasn't gotten a lot of votes in the poll, and more than one poster has basically said, "Hell, no."

But given some of the latest chatter (allegedly coming out of Alabama country), I took a look at his resume. Not too shabby.

For me it is his offensive performance this year (for starters). He took a team with ah Heisman Trophy QB which had the 2nd best offensive rating in the country, which added Jamyr Gibbs, and turned it into the 17th ranked offensive unit in the country. His college success was at locations that had TONS of resources and despite the scholarship restrictions at Penn State, that program is the bellwether of a huge state. He was able to recruit a 5 star QB who decided that getting in early was worth it since the restrictions were only 2 years. Can that be replicated at GT? I doubt it.

NFL results, pro or con, are irrelevant to me in terms of college football.

Bottom line, I think BOB is likely a pretty good selection for a school like Florida with superb resources and strong appeal as "the" in state school. I think he is simply the wrong fit for GT.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I've changed my mind.

I was torn between Chadwell and Key, but I voted for Chadwell because I was intrigued by his offense. That was then.

<sigh>

Now, I'm torn between Chadwell and Key and BOB.

I think we will be okay with any one of these three opti ...er... candidates.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

To me, it's also not fair to mention the UVA and Miami losses without the caveat that we lost our starting QB to injury in both those games. That's a huge blow to any team. As ugly as UVA was overall, we were in it right up until the last play. If Sims is healthy and stays in, maybe we find 7+ more points in the second half. If TFG hadn't relegated Pryron to the scout team and he was ready to go in as QB3 when Gibson struggled... Miami, we were down by 7 late in the 3rd and driving down the field when Pyron went down. Team fell apart after that. At FSU, Gibson got pulled for Pyron, a true freshman playing his first snaps against a good team on the road...

If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts... But Key has won every game his starting QB finished the game.