Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Could we end up with Chadwell and repeat history (Still a good choice at this point)

Steve Spurrier wanting to be the head coach and settled for Florida (Or was it Duke he went to and then Florida?)
Or George O'Leary wanting the position when Bill Lewis got the job

slugboy

Staff member
Could we end up with Chadwell and repeat history (Still a good choice at this point)

Steve Spurrier wanting to be the head coach and settled for Florida (Or was it Duke he went to and then Florida?)
Or George O'Leary wanting the position when Bill Lewis got the job
Spurrier was the QB coach at GT in 79, then was the OC at Duke, then coached in the USFL, then HC at Duke, then HC at Florida. It wasn’t right away that he became HC.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There have been moments where the interim HC doesn’t get the job and stays with the new guy. Being an alum, I wonder if Key would be interested in staying if the new coach is interested in him.
I cannot think of an interim coach who wanted the top job who agreed to be an assistant for the chosen guy. Especially when players and families were openly vocal in favor of the interim. That would be a VERY uncomfortable situation.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Ah...now there's a good one.

So, does that refer to the creek overflowing its banks during a time of heavy rain? Or the Creek Indians of eastern AL/western GA who took exception to various activities of white settlers back in the day? Dad always said it was the latter.

;)
Creek Indians. Back in the settler days the Creeks were in the western part of the state toward the present Alabama line. Or I’ve been told.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I cannot think of an interim coach who wanted the top job who agreed to be an assistant for the chosen guy. Especially when players and families were openly vocal in favor of the interim. That would be a VERY uncomfortable situation.
Yeah I think Key goes somewhere else he's earned a opportunity to take a HC job somewhere IMHO and he will probably end up somewhere like UAB as mentioned. I do hope we retain Thacker and defensive coaches though 100%. If it's Chadwell coming in he's got to look at the praise that Thacker and staff have gotten around college football and the growth on defense and think I can let that be status quo and simply focus on my offense.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Brent Key is a football coach. He should be our football coach next year-too. His game day sideline behavior is steady, calm and pensive. It reminds me some of Bill Belichick. Early on in a press conference, he mentioned closing the gap between practice and game day intensity. A simple fix requiring a change in practice pattern. While simple, I think it was a catalytic event setting the stage for a cultural shift. After the loss to Miami, in a moment of frustration during the post game press conference, he said…………as he raised his hands over his head “this is what culture means”…”and it’s not.“ He stopped there. We all knew what he meant. Finally, the 90 second side line interview after the North Carolina victory gave me goose bumps. That sheepish grin then the response was pure raw emotion and pure gold. Brent Key knows what culture means—simply the way we do business around here. His business is process leading to victory. I’m a sidewalk fan who lacks the analytical prowess of many on this board, so I apologize for my non-analytic take on this. If we pass on this, we may rue the day as the Cleveland Browns did when they fired Belichick. This is what my gut is telling me, anyway.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Brent Key is a football coach. He should be our football coach next year-too. His game day sideline behavior is steady, calm and pensive. It reminds me some of Bill Belichick. Early on in a press conference, he mentioned closing the gap between practice and game day intensity. A simple fix requiring a change in practice pattern. While simple, I think it was a catalytic event setting the stage for a cultural shift. After the loss to Miami, in a moment of frustration during the post game press conference, he said…………as he raised his hands over his head “this is what culture means”…”and it’s not.“ He stopped there. We all knew what he meant. Finally, the 90 second side line interview after the North Carolina victory gave me goose bumps. That sheepish grin then the response was pure raw emotion and pure gold. Brent Key knows what culture means—simply the way we do business around here. His business is process leading to victory. I’m a sidewalk fan who lacks the analytical prowess of many on this board, so I apologize for my non-analytic take on this. If we pass on this, we may rue the day as the Cleveland Browns did when they fired Belichick. This is what my gut is telling me, anyway.
This is a good post and I agree with one point especially. Even if Key is not the best (or chosen) candidate for the HC job, we may rue the day we asked him to step aside. Key's success has made Batt's decision a lot more complicated.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
. If it's Chadwell coming in he's got to look at the praise that Thacker and staff have gotten around college football and the growth on defense and think I can let that be status quo and simply focus on my offense.
If Chadwell is reading this stuff, he would not be the kind of coach we need.
I would think that if he is the type of coach I think he is he would be spending his time getting ready for their game on Saturday, which will not be an easy game for them.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I really don't have a strong opinion on who our next HC should be. So, I'm not voting. I haven't done any research at all. I just want a coach who is competent, has substance, is tough, and "real". In truth, I was turned off by CGC for that reason right from the get go. He may have actually been "real", but he didn't give me that impression. In truth, I couldn't even stand the pain of listening to him for more than 2 minutes. It never seemed as though the things I saw happening on the field reflected his glittering descriptions at all. We were disorganized, undisciplined, and all too often confused in ways that our opponents never were. Additionally, his "Above The Line" approach gave me great pause. That was never going to lead to great execution. So, I want the opposite of that. You guys tell me who is opposite.

FWIW, I think CBK is "real" and loves and understands GT. Even though he is not the best public speaker, he resonates with me for some reason. Some of the flashier names on the list give me pause because TECH is a unique place. Someone closer to O'Leary, Ross, Johnson is most likely to succeed if you ask me. I don't know which coaches on the list have those qualities. Key maybe? O'Brien maybe?

To be honest, the decision on a new HC is important, but for the future of the program as a whole, its priority is a distant second place to completely restructuring and financing our efforts in recruiting good football players who belong at GT. That will have more to do with our long term success than any coach will. There are great football players out there, who match our profile, that we are not finding because we are casting a net that is too small. I would rather we dump a ton of money into that, before doing so for a coach. That topic, however, is for another thread.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
If Chadwell is reading this stuff, he would not be the kind of coach we need.
I would think that if he is the type of coach I think he is he would be spending his time getting ready for their game on Saturday, which will not be an easy game for them.
I was meaning that if there have been discussions from Chadwell and GT search committee which have been rumored. Hopefully a outline of plans for him taking over the program were established and I hope that some of that included keeping our current D staff in place. I didn't mean he's sitting around thinking about all the things he's gonna do at GT this week before CCU game. I've personally settled into being fine with Key or Chadwell. I know Key will retain everyone on defense and I'm hopeful that Chadwell would do so as well.

Perfect worlds
Key with new "good" OC
or
Chadwell with retaining Defensive side of ball

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sorry to say it, but hiring Chadwell is throwing in the towel.

It is a give-up move made to placate nostalgic old farts who believe that "something special" is the only way to win at Tech. It's a cop out.

Hiring Deion is the exact opposite. That moves placates the hip crowd, who think you can buy your way to anything. He will raise money and buy players that magically make the cut academically at Tech, and take us to Nirvana.

The real answer is somewhere in the middle. Who that is, I am not quite sure yet. But going one extreme or the other is a sell out.

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan

It is a give-up move made to placate nostalgic old farts who believe that "something special" is the only way to win at Tech. It's a cop out.

Hiring Deion is the exact opposite. That moves placates the hip crowd, who think you can buy your way to anything. He will raise money and buy players that magically make the cut academically at Tech, and take us to Nirvana.

The real answer is somewhere in the middle. Who that is, I am not quite sure yet. But going one extreme or the other is a sell out.
THIS!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I don't see it as throwing in the towel at all. Chadwell wins. He hasn't always won with the current offense. But he does adjust his coaching to match the situation. I'm quite sure that if he could attract top talent like the Cesspool attracts flies, then he'd run an offense similar to UGA's. To me, that's not a 'gimmick.' That's being a good coach that figures out how to win no matter what.

Substance over style. Sign me up. (That being said, I'd prefer Key at this point. Today. Who knows tomorrow? ;)

CEB

Helluva Engineer

It’s an opinion, but my in opinion, it’s a very ill-informed one.

Your characterization of a Chadwell hire is way off base for a lot of reasons. I find it funny that a young coach is doing nostalgic things to placate old farts. Anyone pining for CPJ option is going to be pretty upset with that young whipper snapper chucking the ball all over the field. Get him off my lawn!!!

Deion may be a home run and he may be a disaster. The hire would be exciting. The press would be exciting. What if recruiting doesn’t translate and his coaching chops aren’t up to snuff? The product might leave us severely wanting, and we aren’t in a position to be looking for a new head man soon.

The most accurate thing you said is that we need to avoid extremes. I honestly wouldn’t characterize either of these candidates as extreme. Both have HC experience. It’s not power 5 and we can all critique, but they have experience and have shown success. I would classify position coaches and assistant coaches with no HC experience to be more extreme... that means we are hiring them for reasons other than head coaching experience and speculating they mature into the role.