Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Which is why I’ve said if Key wants to keep Long he shouldn’t be offered the full time job. There is 7 seasons and 4 schools worth of data showing Long is not a good coordinator. I’m not convinced Key didn’t want to bring Long in this year because he knows Long has fire and we didn’t have any while Collins was here. There was also a lot of uncertainty with the staff and the program going into this year. Long may have been one of the only options in a slim lineup.

Key has a lot of connections, and if he’s given the full-time job there will be a lot more stability, potentially opening up a plethora of more options. I think Key can find somebody better than along given the opportunity. But if he can’t, or he’s dead set on Long it should be at least as, if not more, alarming than the rumors of Chadwell wanting to bring the entirety of his staff from Coastal.

How well do people think Key would be in the recruiting process?

Or would that be largely delegated?

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
blinking jonah hill GIF

There’s such a difference between two OCs with the same playbook, that it’s hard to describe. That’s a little like saying “how hard is it to pick up playing the violin in the off season “?
Plus, he’s already working full time in the off season
Maybe I’m naive and don’t know all the intricacies of the game, but I just watched CC’s game against Gorgia Southern from 2020, and outside of his triple option packages. The rest of his playbook looks to be standard spread option elements. Pass protection is run of the mill, run blocking scheme outside of triple is standard. Route trees for WRs are nothing unique. The main issue would be learning the triple packages, and how to strategize and make tactical adjustments in game. Yes though I understand that time creates mastery so we’d be rough for a while. Would it be worse than what we have now though?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How well do people think Key would be in the recruiting process?

Or would that be largely delegated?
Small sample size but I read (in this thread iirc) where Ken S. did a poll of coaches in the local area to see what they thought about our coaching search. I think Key was the top vote getter and he seems to be well received in the local HS community. I do not think the sample was large nor definitive but it's an anecdote to suggest that he would have no issue. He is a known commodity both from his time here and at Bama.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe I’m naive and don’t know all the intricacies of the game, but I just watched CC’s game against Gorgia Southern from 2020, and outside of his triple option packages. The rest of his playbook looks to be standard spread option elements. Pass protection is run of the mill, run blocking scheme outside of triple is standard. Route trees for WRs are nothing unique. The main issue would be learning the triple packages, and how to strategize and make tactical adjustments in game. Yes though I understand that time creates mastery so we’d be rough for a while. Would it be worse than what we have now though?

When Fridge went to Maryland and O’Brien took over, BO’B had been tutored by Fridge for years and there was a marked drop off from teacher to student. That’s with the playbook handed down, watching Fridge lead the offense in practice, teaching the QB how to make the reads, and seeing how he made the calls and planned the games. When Fridge wanted an OC, he got the OC he learned a lot from.

Likewise, when we look at Patenaude vs some of the OCs that are the best in the game, the same offense under a different coordinator can be vastly different. The strategy and tactics are huge. Making the most out of the week so that your players practice what they need to is huge.

Even though offenses might take a little from the run and shoot and a little from the veer and add them together, the big thing is understanding the core principles of the offense and what you’re using the parts to accomplish what you want with them. With the flexbone, Johnson wanted to get the defense to reveal what they were ready for so he could do something else. In RPO, the QB is reading to see what the LBs commit to, and making them pay for their decision. The big thing is that the master strategists using the offenses have a theory of the game and the plays are extensions of that. The people with the playbooks are the other 80% of OCs that are calling plays but don’t have an advantage over the defense.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Cheap shot. But I like seeing where sayings come from.

Like "Lord willing and the Creek don't rise."

Back to HC, I hope he hits it out of the park. Or whatever is a good futbol analogy.
Ah...now there's a good one.

So, does that refer to the creek overflowing its banks during a time of heavy rain? Or the Creek Indians of eastern AL/western GA who took exception to various activities of white settlers back in the day? Dad always said it was the latter.

;)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ah...now there's a good one.

So, does that refer to the creek overflowing its banks during a time of heavy rain? Or the Creek Indians of eastern AL/western GA who took exception to various activities of white settlers back in the day? Dad always said it was the latter.

;)
I also always thought it was in reference to the Indians, I do believe (although some will dispute that and say it is uncertain...)..but a variety of sources now say it is NOT.

Last edited:

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I went back to page 1 and someone had changed Keys votes from 60 to 115. All of the other votes remained the same. Where did the additional votes originate? It is dishonest to change the figures to justify one's own benefits of a coach.
Kudos to you - you're committed to the trolling. I hope. Otherwise you probably should avoid the internet.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Can’t wait to see how the votes shift after Saturday. I hope they shift to key because that means we did something, but I’m guessing it’ll push Chadwell over 200.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Ill also add thus the Secondary basically will all be back next year and they've been good but still young and growing. Players like Douse & Yondjouen have been good too
Both corners (7 and 0) and safety (14), our starting 3 of 5, walked on Sr recognition before the Miami game as did DE 32 and DT (5)

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I went back to page 1 and someone had changed Keys votes from 60 to 115. All of the other votes remained the same. Where did the additional votes originate? It is dishonest to change the figures to justify one's own benefits of a coach.
Someone should see if QAnon has anything to say about this!!!

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I also always thought it was in reference to the Indians, I do believe (although some will dispute that and say it is uncertain...)..but a variety of sources now say it is NOT.
Interesting. Thanks for that link.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Sorry, but changing of one's mind had nothing to do with the additional votes for Key. The additional votes for Key while maintaining the same votes for the other candidates shows an attempt to strew the voting.
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
There have been moments where the interim HC doesn’t get the job and stays with the new guy. Being an alum, I wonder if Key would be interested in staying if the new coach is interested in him.