Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I watched enough of them at Bobby Dodd for my liking. It's a very good offense. I would call them awesome as well as exciting. I wouldn't call them triple option, but I would call them modern spread and they do have some option elements (so does most every offense). We could learn a lot from Lane Kiffin.
First of all I don't blame you one bit on having seen enough of them at Bobby Dodd and my comment was mainly one of curiosity, And I think we're on the same page about the potential being there for a modernized version of an offense that presents problems for a defense because they don't see it all the time. PS, when I say Triple Option I'm not referring to it as the name of CPJ's offense. I'm referring to the fact that it presents three legit, planned running options and where the ball goes is decided by the QB at the time of the play. Kiffin builds in many plays that are absolutely, by that definition, triple option. You can run triple option out of many different sets. He also adds some RPO to it. I kind of like the way you characterized it as "modern spread." True as well that most offenses have option plays built into them. The key piece is that the true triple option plays ARE in there as more than just a nuisance. He does run most of those plays from the shotgun/pistol, though.

I think

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I agree. There are multiple levels to this statement, however.
Very fair statement. My original point about Lane Kiffin was to point out that a guy most consider a pretty savvy offensive guy has found ways to make heavy use out of real, honest to goodness triple option plays while still being considered a modern and enjoyable offense.

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan
I didn't take offense to anything you said. I just wanted to share a little bit on Zach's exposure, or lack of, during the recruitment process for him. And honestly after going through the process that he did, I am very grateful he wasn't a TL or JF. I cannot even imagine the amount of frustration their parents felt during their process. It's so cut throat and at times, unethical it's sad.

More than anything I just wanted people to see Zach is at GT for a very specific reason. He knew what he was looking for in a school and GT checked a lot of those boxes. He's won a lot of football games in HS and was fortunate to play on some really good teams. I think he's excited, and super motivated, to come in and help GT become become a championship caliber team.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I didn't take offense to anything you said. I just wanted to share a little bit on Zach's exposure, or lack of, during the recruitment process for him. And honestly after going through the process that he did, I am very grateful he wasn't a TL or JF. I cannot even imagine the amount of frustration their parents felt during their process. It's so cut throat and at times, unethical it's sad.

More than anything I just wanted people to see Zach is at GT for a very specific reason. He knew what he was looking for in a school and GT checked a lot of those boxes. He's won a lot of football games in HS and was fortunate to play on some really good teams. I think he's excited, and super motivated, to come in and help GT become become a championship caliber team.
You may have noticed from our posts that we Tech men tend to be pretty opinionated and willing to fight for our beliefs. But we all bleed Old Gold & White.

On behalf of all Tech fans, I wish Zach speedy recover and a great career on the flats and beyond. 🙂

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer

thanks hope you post more i think Zach will be a great QB as only a freshman you could tell he has it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
By no means am I saying Zach is or will be an NFL QB, but I just want to shed a little light on this. Zach was late on the radar as a recruit due to him being tucked away at a middle classification school that ran a hybrid Gun Wing T offense. Needless to say he didn't get to throw as much and the focus at practice or the offseason was never on throwing, hence the move to a bigger school his Jr year. So really he only started consistently throwing a football his Jr year of high school. He worked his butt off and picked up a lot of things from a lot of QB coaches. He made the Elite 11 and placed very well, beating out a lot of the top ranked guys in many of the drills. Baylor jumped on Zach early (prior to Elite 11). When he commited to Baylor he shut everything down. He wouldn't even take calls from other coaches.

While he was committed to Baylor, Saban and O'Brien called him several times. This was the one school he said through it all he'd listen to. He threw for them on numerous occasions and we sat in Saban's office 3-4 times. O'Brien really liked Zach and told Saban he thought Zach's ceiling was the highest of any of the guys they were looking at. They had Ty Simpson committed and there was some uncertainty around his commitment at that time (TN was doing all they could to flip Ty and get his dad, Jason, a job at UT). Needless to say they loved Ty and thought very highly of him, but they did like Zach as well. But they had to be cautious out of fear of losing Ty. Saban looked us dead in the eyes and told us they want him to be a part of the team but at that time it was a numbers game. There was some uncertainties around Milroe and what he could give them at QB (Saban wants him on defense - heard that from Saban himself), and Paul Tyson was still enrolled, but not sure what he was going to do. So in that initial meeting Saban offered Zach a gray shirt. Zach looked him in the eye and politely told him "no thanks". They kept pushing throughout the season, having Koolaid work Zach pretty hard. They did this all the way up to early signing period, and I believe they wanted him to be a part of the class but wanted him to sign in Feb. See Bama thought they could just flip an instate kid that practically grew up in Bryant Denny (we were season ticket holders)...they have that cockiness about them when it comes to in-state kids. But Zach stood his ground and stuck with what he believed in.

Arkansas offered Zach but he wasn't feeling their recruiting tactics. UF was on the phone with him after Napier was hired pushing him to hold off his commitment and wait until Feb. Zach didn't want to do that. Collin Klein from K State absolutely loved him and was pushing hard. Joey McGuire and Zach Kittley @ Texas Tech were trying to make a late push also. And Ole Miss was at the school talking to his HC about him a ton, but coach Shade told them Zach was locked in with GT. See, once Zach committed to GT it was over. His connection to coach Key was incredible. This is very important and a huge reason Zach is at GT. It was like they had known each other for years. We knew going in that things were shaky for the current staff, but Zach just felt God was leading him to GT. Key did an exceptional job recruiting Zach. Zach felt that going to Tech he would have an opportunity to compete pretty early on. Not taking anything away from Jeff, but he felt this might be Jeff's last year at GT, so that played a big role in it. He studied the history of GT football and loved what he learned. He loved it was very close to home and that his family would be able to be around a great deal more. He is actually really big on education and he fully understands there is life after football and he is well aware of the value of a GT education.

Zach didn't pick GT as a last resort. He picked GT because he believed it was the best path for him to obtain all his goals. He believed in Brent Key and still does. Looking back on all of that now and how it's playing out, it's pretty amazing really. I say all this to say, Zach wants to be at GT. He wants to help make GT relevant again. He wants to help GT play for ACC championships and he is very, very adamant that will happen before he leaves.

About 20 minutes after the game this past Saturday Key called Zach to check in on him. He didn't have to do that, but he did because that's just the type of guy he is. Weinke also called Zach not long after the game was over. We have a huge amount of respect and love for Chris Weinke as well. He's a keeper for sure.
Thank you for sharing this amazing and fascinating testimonial. Have to admit, that's worth another bullet point on Key's resume.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Stop talking to dumbass CFB fans who have no bearing on anything that actually happens in CFB. You are letting their ignorance contribute to your bad judgement.

This is such a stretch of a comparison it shouldn't even have been posted. Trying to estimate a coach's win total based on a completely different set of coaches doing something different 20 years ago, really? Just a really, really poor argument. The "CPJ was the best and no one can do better" argument is nonsense as well, they are not doing the same thing. This is a horribly flawed argument spouted by people who hate the option, that's it. Should Alabama have shut down their program after Bear Bryant because he was the best and no one could do better?

We don't know that. Nothing about the offense inherently sets up to have an accompanying bad defense.

I don't think we can claim anything has been proven under Key, he's won 4 games that all required some luck, and lost to two terrible opponents at home and got blasted by a good opponent. That's it.
I think it proves he is a much better coach than the last guy who cleared the last expert search committee criteria. He has taken a crappy poker hand and played it amazingly well IMHO. We went from losing our last five games under CGC by a combined score of 200-20, to winning games that we would have considered prayers earlier this year. We could do a lot worse than rolling the dice with him for the next couple of years.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Here's another fun take: If we hire Key, I'm okay with giving Long the opportunity to finish out his contract. We are paying him for next year either way.

While I'm not sure that he is any good, there is enough of an issue around whether Collins was interfering, the lack of an O-line he's had to work with, losing quarterbacks, losing position coaches, that I don't think it's really fair to judge him off a single season. Give him an offseason to work with the guys sans Geoff, allow the O line to mesh more finally having the same guys from year to year, get our QBs healthy and a little older and wiser, and get some staff stability, and then let's see if he still stinks.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
By no means am I saying Zach is or will be an NFL QB, but I just want to shed a little light on this. Zach was late on the radar as a recruit due to him being tucked away at a middle classification school that ran a hybrid Gun Wing T offense. Needless to say he didn't get to throw as much and the focus at practice or the offseason was never on throwing, hence the move to a bigger school his Jr year. So really he only started consistently throwing a football his Jr year of high school. He worked his butt off and picked up a lot of things from a lot of QB coaches. He made the Elite 11 and placed very well, beating out a lot of the top ranked guys in many of the drills. Baylor jumped on Zach early (prior to Elite 11). When he commited to Baylor he shut everything down. He wouldn't even take calls from other coaches.

While he was committed to Baylor, Saban and O'Brien called him several times. This was the one school he said through it all he'd listen to. He threw for them on numerous occasions and we sat in Saban's office 3-4 times. O'Brien really liked Zach and told Saban he thought Zach's ceiling was the highest of any of the guys they were looking at. They had Ty Simpson committed and there was some uncertainty around his commitment at that time (TN was doing all they could to flip Ty and get his dad, Jason, a job at UT). Needless to say they loved Ty and thought very highly of him, but they did like Zach as well. But they had to be cautious out of fear of losing Ty. Saban looked us dead in the eyes and told us they want him to be a part of the team but at that time it was a numbers game. There was some uncertainties around Milroe and what he could give them at QB (Saban wants him on defense - heard that from Saban himself), and Paul Tyson was still enrolled, but not sure what he was going to do. So in that initial meeting Saban offered Zach a gray shirt. Zach looked him in the eye and politely told him "no thanks". They kept pushing throughout the season, having Koolaid work Zach pretty hard. They did this all the way up to early signing period, and I believe they wanted him to be a part of the class but wanted him to sign in Feb. See Bama thought they could just flip an instate kid that practically grew up in Bryant Denny (we were season ticket holders)...they have that cockiness about them when it comes to in-state kids. But Zach stood his ground and stuck with what he believed in.

Arkansas offered Zach but he wasn't feeling their recruiting tactics. UF was on the phone with him after Napier was hired pushing him to hold off his commitment and wait until Feb. Zach didn't want to do that. Collin Klein from K State absolutely loved him and was pushing hard. Joey McGuire and Zach Kittley @ Texas Tech were trying to make a late push also. And Ole Miss was at the school talking to his HC about him a ton, but coach Shade told them Zach was locked in with GT. See, once Zach committed to GT it was over. His connection to coach Key was incredible. This is very important and a huge reason Zach is at GT. It was like they had known each other for years. We knew going in that things were shaky for the current staff, but Zach just felt God was leading him to GT. Key did an exceptional job recruiting Zach. Zach felt that going to Tech he would have an opportunity to compete pretty early on. Not taking anything away from Jeff, but he felt this might be Jeff's last year at GT, so that played a big role in it. He studied the history of GT football and loved what he learned. He loved it was very close to home and that his family would be able to be around a great deal more. He is actually really big on education and he fully understands there is life after football and he is well aware of the value of a GT education.

Zach didn't pick GT as a last resort. He picked GT because he believed it was the best path for him to obtain all his goals. He believed in Brent Key and still does. Looking back on all of that now and how it's playing out, it's pretty amazing really. I say all this to say, Zach wants to be at GT. He wants to help make GT relevant again. He wants to help GT play for ACC championships and he is very, very adamant that will happen before he leaves.

About 20 minutes after the game this past Saturday Key called Zach to check in on him. He didn't have to do that, but he did because that's just the type of guy he is. Weinke also called Zach not long after the game was over. We have a huge amount of respect and love for Chris Weinke as well. He's a keeper for sure.
Just curious...is anybody sending this to J or A? :)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Here's another fun take: If we hire Key, I'm okay with giving Long the opportunity to finish out his contract. We are paying him for next year either way.

While I'm not sure that he is any good, there is enough of an issue around whether Collins was interfering, the lack of an O-line he's had to work with, losing quarterbacks, losing position coaches, that I don't think it's really fair to judge him off a single season. Give him an offseason to work with the guys sans Geoff, allow the O line to mesh more finally having the same guys from year to year, get our QBs healthy and a little older and wiser, and get some staff stability, and then let's see if he still stinks.
You don’t have to judge him off this single season. He’s never been a good coordinator. Every school he’s ever been to has been better on offense before he was there and after he left.

He also has a worse offense this year that Pateneude did in 2019 with OL who had only been in the 3O and without a true QB. The best QB from that team is playing for Montana right now. Long has to go no matter what. He and Key may have similar coaching philosophies as far as what they expect out of their players, and getting them to play hard. But his schemes and play calling are awful, full stop. They have been everywhere he’s been an OC for.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
https://247sports.com/Article/Colle...ders-Colorado-South-Florida-report-198224540/

For the "Deion ain't going to come here" crowd. If he's considering these two, he certainly would consider gt. Feeling might not be mutual, but I'm pretty sure he'd pick us over these 2.
I think you’ve misread the “Deion ain’t going to come here” crowd.
He would certainly come here, if we were interested and willing to make it interesting for him. As it stands, neither appears to be the case

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You don’t have to judge him off this single season. He’s never been a good coordinator. Every school he’s ever been to has been better on offense before he was there and after he left.

He also has a worse offense this year that Pateneude did in 2019 with OL who had only been in the 3O and without a true QB. The best QB from that team is playing for Montana right now. Long has to go no matter what. He and Key may have similar coaching philosophies as far as what they expect out of their players, and getting them to play hard. But his schemes and play calling are awful, full stop. They have been everywhere he’s been an OC for.
Any suggestions who you think Key would want to bring in instead?

Here's another issue - wasn't Long a Key recommendation? If we don't like who Key recommended enough to give him a 2nd year and a chance, isn't that somewhat of an indictment on Key? Do we trust Key's decision making on hiring coaches? Stansbury was basically just fired because we couldn't trust him to make the right hiring decision despite being a Tech man and former player.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
First, I have nothing against Key. He seems like an outstanding man and good coach. I see an interesting phenomenon. There is some psychology effect going on as the minute Key is selected many were hoping he would be the head coach. Why? This is a HC selection from a 3 win per seasons coaching staff for 3 seasons. I think some of this was hope that a change, any change, would produce an 8 and 4 season, a win over UGA, and a bowl (plus it is a known decision versus unknown). This outcome, of course, would be better than a 3 win season. Now it appears that GT might be 5 and 7, which is 2 wins better than 3 wins.

There are two possibilities. Either Collins was a screw up or Collins was an ok coach, but Key is a mastermind that with his actions was able to get the team to 2 extra wins. Collins as a screw up seems more applicable, He was most likely spitting in all the coaches soups. Without Collins, we see better special teams, better calls in general, and improved position groups almost imedeately. I would even say defense improved (more of a feel as I have not looked at the numbers).

The other possibility is that Key is a mastermind of a HC and immediately implemented his novel special teams plan, worked a complex strategy to get more form each position groups, and even taught Thacker a few things he was dying to do when he was the OL coach.

I think the real answer here is that Collins was a screw up and he screwed up every aspect of the team. Key is a solid coach who is not a screw up and stopped doing the crazy Collins circus.

Initially the players wanted Collins to stay. Now they want Key to stay. People vote relationship and what they know more than some unknown possibility.

This is not anti Key, this is me trying to find reality over emotion.

Does anyone know of data where an interim head coach parleyed into a great head coach... even at that, a position coach jumped to interm HC and then to HC and succeeded?

I was not excited with Collins because 2 declining seasons at Temple is not good data. Now I have data that a position coach can win at least 5 games at GT (keep in mind I like the man, its hard not too). If we are making a financial decision or no one else with better data wants the job, Key is perfect. The data is what the data is until we get more data.
A position coach winning 4 games out of 7? Wow, not bad!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Any suggestions who you think Key would want to bring in instead?

Here's another issue - wasn't Long a Key recommendation? If we don't like who Key recommended enough to give him a 2nd year and a chance, isn't that somewhat of an indictment on Key? Do we trust Key's decision making on hiring coaches? Stansbury was basically just fired because we couldn't trust him to make the right hiring decision despite being a Tech man and former player.
Which is why I’ve said if Key wants to keep Long he shouldn’t be offered the full time job. There is 7 seasons and 4 schools worth of data showing Long is not a good coordinator. I’m not convinced Key didn’t want to bring Long in this year because he knows Long has fire and we didn’t have any while Collins was here. There was also a lot of uncertainty with the staff and the program going into this year. Long may have been one of the only options in a slim lineup.

Key has a lot of connections, and if he’s given the full-time job there will be a lot more stability, potentially opening up a plethora of more options. I think Key can find somebody better than along given the opportunity. But if he can’t, or he’s dead set on Long it should be at least as, if not more, alarming than the rumors of Chadwell wanting to bring the entirety of his staff from Coastal.