Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Beat Duke and Pitt, hire Key! Lose to UVA, get killed by FSU, well, that’s it for Key, beat VT, hire Key!, get blown out by Miami, well, that’s it for Key, pull the upset against UNC, hire Key! You guys crack me up.
Sounds about right to me.

Proves what we know….

Deleted member 6494

So here's my concerns with Key as HC:
1. Recruiting - he's rightly focused in other areas right now, but we haven't seen the influx in commits with the wins and have had some important decommits.
2. Chip Long - this guy was his recommendation and has been TERRIBLE. I know Key wants Godsey, but I would vomit if somehow Chip is still here next year.
3. OL - just inexcusable at times. Any DL with a pulse (UNC doesn't qualify) makes us look like a bad pop warner team. I don't really know who's coaching them right now. I understand having to replace the RB coach created issues here, but I expected is to improve after the bye week and we haven't yet.

He deserves a shot as HC somewhere, but I don't know if he's ready for this role. I can't help but think if he'd had the whole offseason with this team that we'd be bowl eligible already.
One thing he is doing is letting a lot of the players get into the games to see what they can do. Since they have four games without losing a year, that is a smart move. If by some ill-advised move, O'Brien were to get the job, he would have a running start to know their abilities.

If O'Brien were to get the job, he would definitely keep Key on his staff; I think O'Brien was the OC when Key played OL at Tech, and he also knew Key from Alabama.

Some of the new faces getting some playing time look pretty good. They can give it all their best shot, and the new coach might go back and look at these films in assessing the players.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The way I see it, there are only 2 options at this point. It’s either Chadwell or Key. The fanbase should be able to 100% rally and support either one of those guys. If you can’t support whichever one gets the job, you should honestly just find another team to root for, because there’s nothing that’s going to satisfy you left at Tech. I see a ton of positives with both guys, and of course there are some cons that come along as well

Chadwell
Pros:
  • Will provide a huge advantage on the offensive side of the ball
  • Is not associated at all with the Geoff Collins era, and can give everyone a clean slate
  • Proven to be a winning head coach at multiple stops, at multiple levels
  • Can win games with less talent on paper than his opponents
Cons:
  • There will probably be a decent amount of transfers out of the program, as well as current commits who don’t sign. A new regime with a new culture will always rub some guys the wrong way, regardless of any other underlying circumstances
  • Even though his offense isn’t all that different than what guys like Garrett Riley, Lane Kiffin, and Gus Malzahn run, folks will get in players’ ears about running “the option.” *{I’m not sure it won’t be some of our own fans being sour about the hire}
  • No P5 experience, could be a bit of a learning curve. Especially dealing with the limitations that he will have to endure because of The Hill
Question marks:
  • How will he build a staff? Will he try to bring as many CCU guys over as possible? Will he try to retain as many GT guys as possible? Hire from outside?

Key
Pros:
  • A familiar face for both current players and recruits. Much less outgoing activity in the portal, perhaps could win some guys.
  • Understands what it takes to succeed at Tech, as both a player and a coach. Unrivaled love for The Institute.
  • Lots of connections across college football. Will build a very competent staff, especially given more adequate resources than our most recent HCs have been offered by The Hill
  • Has built a much better culture the players play hard for, and obviously they care about a ton. A lot of support within the team and around the state.
Cons:
  • Heavily associated with the previous head coach. His position group especially has been under fire. How much of the incompetence was he solely responsible for vs. how much was trickle down effects of Collins’ meddling?
  • Promoting him from interim to full-time HC immediately raises expectations for next year compared to anybody new brought in. If he’s not winning in year 1 it’s a big black eye on everyone involved
  • Supposedly he butted heads with Collins on OL recruits. He came in and was supposed to get at least a couple 4-star OL. Through 4 years he has none. How good of a recruiter is he actually? Did Collins hold him back from getting guys he wanted?
  • Wont be a splashy hire. Probably won’t draw a ton of buzz from the media. Everyone will take a “wait and see” approach
Question marks
  • What will he do different that makes Georgia Tech successful? Will he settle in to Chan Gailey status and go 7-5 every year? What will his team’s identity be? Overall Physicality? Offense? Defense?

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing he is doing is letting a lot of the players get into the games to see what they can do. Since they have four games without losing a year, that is a smart move. If by some ill-advised move, O'Brien were to get the job, he would have a running start to know their abilities.

If O'Brien were to get the job, he would definitely keep Key on his staff; I think O'Brien was the OC when Key played OL at Tech, and he also knew Key from Alabama.

Some of the new faces getting some playing time look pretty good. They can give it all their best shot, and the new coach might go back and look at these films in assessing the players.
Ralph Frigedon was OC O'Brien was TE's or GA. Bill can't do anything comparable to Ralph with Bama players keep that in mind

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Key has also made Bat’s job of selling the roster of our current FB team easier to the HC candidates that he interviews (ed) because he can point to games/wins like this tonight and say we are so close and we have capable players and young ones who are in they system. We just need a coaching staff that can develop and scheme around what we already have in place.
Good observation.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
as well as current commits who don’t sign
I’d be surprised by that. Any recruit that committed right now surely expects a new coach next year, and I don’t know why Chadwell would turn anyone off given what he’s accomplished recently.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So here's my concerns with Key as HC:
1. Recruiting - he's rightly focused in other areas right now, but we haven't seen the influx in commits with the wins and have had some important decommits.
2. Chip Long - this guy was his recommendation and has been TERRIBLE. I know Key wants Godsey, but I would vomit if somehow Chip is still here next year.
3. OL - just inexcusable at times. Any DL with a pulse (UNC doesn't qualify) makes us look like a bad pop warner team. I don't really know who's coaching them right now. I understand having to replace the RB coach created issues here, but I expected is to improve after the bye week and we haven't yet.

He deserves a shot as HC somewhere, but I don't know if he's ready for this role. I can't help but think if he'd had the whole offseason with this team that we'd be bowl eligible already.
that is what Clemson fans said about Dabo

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been in the Chadwell camp since Collins was fired. Tonight was the first time where I found myself being 50/50 with Chadwell and Key. I just keep going back to what could Key have done with this team if it was his last spring? Batt had a tough decision to make and let’s trust he will make it. Regardless of who the HC is soon, it’s a great day today to be a Jacket!

Side note - I live in NC… so when we beat the Tarholes, it’s a little more special for me here!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Key has also made Bat’s job of selling the roster of our current FB team easier to the HC candidates that he interviews (ed) because he can point to games/wins like this tonight and say we are so close and we have capable players and young ones who are in they system. We just need a coaching staff that can develop and scheme around what we already have in place.

I think Ross left Bill Lewis with a pretty good roster too. Sometimes it's more than just "a roster". This is essentially the same group that averaged 3 wins per year and without their starting and second string QB. They could have folded this year and played the string out. But they are 4-3 against ACC opponents since with a guy who had no time to prep for the job.

I remember and was sharing this with the staff here. Back in my corporate day, the company I spent a good proportion of my career with had a strong track record and presence in their market. Positions were generally filled from within and you had to earn your way up the ladder. Somewhere along the way, this shifted and the "outside guy/gal" became the sexy choice. especially if they had MBA's. After all, the internal candidate has flaws that have been exposed during the constant interaction you get with your associates in the business world. The new guys and gals didn't have any warts - they were shiny and new!!!! As time went on I realized I was sitting in meetings with people who basically had no idea of what our product was or how it was made. (hey looked good in suits however).I left. A company that once had a manufacturing presence in over a dozen locations in North America has been reduced to two. Oh well, iiwii.

I think Key is the right fit for GT. I will support whomever is picked however just like I have all the way back to Coach Rogers.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Last night sure puts the decision by Batt even more difficult if he hasn't locked down the new guy. Key probably went to the top of the list if decision hasn't been made. My read of our new AD is that no final decision has been made yet. He sure isn't giving any indication.
This team with an improved offense would be a very good team within the ACC. I don't know how many on the DL we lose next year but White is one heck of a player. He makes a difference.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Nothing against chadwell. But Key is still a good hire and I don't think being part of the Collins era is a bad thing like folks are saying , I tend to believe key and thacker we're handicapped by Collins
Remember key is very handicapped this season on what he can and can't change. So if he we're hired, he has an entire off-season to change what he wants to change in terms of staff and how the team plays.
The kids really do seem to like him and if we keep him we don't really have to start all over

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think Ross left Bill Lewis with a pretty good roster too. Sometimes it's more than just "a roster". This is essentially the same group that averaged 3 wins per year and without their starting and second string QB. They could have folded this year and played the string out. But they are 4-3 against ACC opponents since with a guy who had no time to prep for the job.

I remember and was sharing this with the staff here. Back in my corporate day, the company I spent a good proportion of my career with had a strong track record and presence in their market. Positions were generally filled from within and you had to earn your way up the ladder. Somewhere along the way, this shifted and the "outside guy/gal" became the sexy choice. especially if they had MBA's. After all, the internal candidate has flaws that have been exposed during the constant interaction you get with your associates in the business world. The new guys and gals didn't have any warts - they were shiny and new!!!! As time went on I realized I was sitting in meetings with people who basically had no idea of what our product was or how it was made. (hey looked good in suits however).I left. A company that once had a manufacturing presence in over a dozen locations in North America has been reduced to two. Oh well, iiwii.

I think Key is the right fit for GT. I will support whomever is picked however just like I have all the way back to Coach Rogers.
Tech's biggest problem is not coaching, it's money and facilities. Make a big bet on new staff, let money and facilities stall, and ... we remain stuck in a rut.

Frank Neville said that. Cabrera said that. They have to figure out a revenue model. That's the priority.

If Tech could experience last night 7 times a year until they figure that out ... I think most Tech fans could get behind that. Last night was Tech football in it's most classic tradition.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Nothing against chadwell. But Key is still a good hire and I don't think being part of the Collins era is a bad thing like folks are saying , I tend to believe key and thacker we're handicapped by Collins
Remember key is very handicapped this season on what he can and can't change. So if he we're hired, he has an entire off-season to change what he wants to change in terms of staff and how the team plays.
The kids really do seem to like him and if we keep him we don't really have to start all over
My understanding is that Key was not a "Get along to go along" kind of sidekick to Collins. Apparently, he and Collins disagreed loudly and Key even threatened to quit.

I don't know who Batt will select. But stability is not a bad thing. If the fans are energized, the team playing well, and the culture intact ... Key makes sense. Honestly, I don't think we have had a real culture fit since Curry. Key would be the first in a long, long time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I gotta say, if you're making this hire, the results of these games can't weigh as heavily as they apparently do with us fans.

As I said earlier, 'better than Collins' is not the bar. All these results prove is just how bad he was as a HC. The roster isn't near as bad as it looked. These ACC opponents aren't near as elite as we made them look under Collins.

I hope the decision makers stick to the fundamentals and don't get swept up in emotion, as it seems we are.