Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that Key was not a "Get along to go along" kind of sidekick to Collins. Apparently, he and Collins disagreed loudly and Key even threatened to quit.

I don't know who Batt will select. But stability is not a bad thing. If the fans are energized, the team playing well, and the culture intact ... Key makes sense. Honestly, I don't think we have had a real culture fit since Curry. Key would be the first in a long, long time.
This is my issue with Key. He SHOULD have quit and then told the GT fanbase why. He sat there for 3 plus years and watched his school get destroyed by 1 man, Whether or not he gets the job he owes us an explanation about what happened, I just don’t understand why it is so hard to simply give your opinion. All Key has to say is “the previous coach didn’t have a clue and he ran ineffective practices which led to losses on game day”. A statement like that would put it to rest. But this code of silence leads me to want a clean break from anyone associated with Collins.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking that CC has to have lean OL that can move in precision w the running attack as COACHED by specialized coaches.
I am for a reasonably priced head coach w up and coming G5 OC and DC ( thacker) and Expensive ( thru bonused up ) Position coaches.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Beat Duke and Pitt, hire Key! Lose to UVA, get killed by FSU, well, that’s it for Key, beat VT, hire Key!, get blown out by Miami, well, that’s it for Key, pull the upset against UNC, hire Key! You guys crack me up.

Amused Sport GIF by Bleacher Report

I just love this show :ROFLMAO:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is my issue with Key. He SHOULD have quit and then told the GT fanbase why. He sat there for 3 plus years and watched his school get destroyed by 1 man, Whether or not he gets the job he owes us an explanation about what happened, I just don’t understand why it is so hard to simply give your opinion. All Key has to say is “the previous coach didn’t have a clue and he ran ineffective practices which led to losses on game day”. A statement like that would put it to rest. But this code of silence leads me to want a clean break from anyone associated with Collins.
If I remember correctly, you were a CGC supporter up to some point last year. (If I'm wrong I'm sorry) so, why would he owe us an explanation.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t understand why it is so hard to simply give your opinion. All Key has to say is “the previous coach didn’t have a clue and he ran ineffective practices which led to losses on game day”. A statement like that would put it to rest. But this code of silence leads me to want a clean break from anyone associated with Collins.

Because denigrating a colleague would make it harder to attract quality assistants himself and there is like a number of players who still view Collins' favorably that might enter the portal and a comment like that could be the tipping point. He might say that in private to the AD but he has nothing to gain by saying something like that publicly and it could only hurt him.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Because denigrating a colleague would make it harder to attract quality assistants himself and there is like a number of players who still view Collins' favorably that might enter the portal and a comment like that could be the tipping point. He might say that in private to the AD but he has nothing to gain by saying something like that publicly and it could only hurt him.
I know we don't agree on who we want as the next Head Coach, but this was a good post. We both want the best for Tech.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Great comeback win, and I will forever be a Key fan for keeping this ship afloat. We could have limped to a 1 or 2 win season.

But I’m still on a turn the page vibe. I think the names being floated this time are leagues better than the last search, and want to give someone a chance to build something here.

Looking at a team like NC State, who we beat early in GC tenure and looked pretty pedestrian, has improved year over year to a solid program. I would like that for Tech. I want a proven builder, this hire is too important to take a flyer on a new HC, no matter how much we like him. Just imho.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
He is no nonsense.... I've had enough nonsense for a lifetime....
I have no significant rooting interest for Rhule other than the thought exercise of what type of coach are we hoping for next.
Rhule meets the previous experience, previous success boxes, but I will admit the Temple connection would spook many.
I like Doug Belk, Houston, as a possible up and comer with AHC responsibilities, but no HC background. Those two are very different candidates.
Ultimately, I'm less concerned with experience. I do want someone who injects an air of seriousness to the program. I'd like someone with some connection to the region for recruiting, but good players can be found all over, so not as much of a requirement. I'm not connected to any single scheme, again, all different kinds can be successful, but the coach has to be able to recruit to it.
Mostly, I want to be able to root for my alma mater with some expectation of success. That's difficult right now.
Preach brother, preach.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I get that. And I admit my wants mean nothing. I know at some point Choice will have the cajones to tell us the truth about the Collins years - probably on a podcast a few years from now.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, I get that. And I admit my wants mean nothing. I know at some point Choice will have the cajones to tell us the truth about the Collins years - probably on a podcast a few years from now.
i doubt we will ever publicly get that from key. there is really no benefit to doing so and it’s really not a good look for a coach to be piling on a guy when everyone knows collins failed. if we get anything other than “i disagreed with some of the things he did and said but he worked hard and loved his guys” i will be pretty surprised