Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
pedantic but that is par for the course on the swarm.

we should be spending more than some teams in our conference as i believe we have a lot more potential to be successful than some of the other programs in our conference and the return on investment could be bountiful.

probably a better representation of what i meant to say

It's not pedantic. I agree we should be spending more. The problem is, with over $200 MILLION in debt, we are a cash strapped program.

slugboy

Staff member
Here's a thought. We tried to get him to come here as OC last year, he declined because the Ravens offered him. If we somehow can't get anyone big to come here what if we tried George Godsey? He's got a lot of NFL coaching experience under his belt, and obviously his playing career and love for Tech needs no introduction.
  1. First, I get the impression that you're worried that we don't have candidates because we haven't hired anyone yet. Especially since you wrote "if we somehow can't get anyone big to come here". If the only hiring experience you have is watching us hire Collins, then you'll just have to get used to the idea that a reasonably competent organization won't hire quickly just to satisfy fans and will keep the list of prospects secret. We paid a search firm to come up with a list of candidates that fit our needs. Godsey may not be in the set of candidates that fit. In fact, I feel pretty confident that there are a number of coaches that are better fits that we're not even considering who are actively campaigning for the job.
  2. Yes, point #1 says that fans get to sit in the dark for an extended period of time knowing next to nothing about the coaching search. That's fan life.
  3. Nebraska hasn't hired anyone either, and their job has been open longer. This is normal.
  4. What has Godsey done at the NFL level that says "hire him for head coach"? If he hadn't been a QB here, why would you consider him? What's the special knowledge he brings that 31 other NFL Tight Ends coaches don't also bring? Or for that matter, offensive coordinators?
  5. If Godsey is a fit, why not Whisenhunt, who actually has been a successful OC and HC? Or any of a slew of other OCs that didn't play at Tech?
We may announce a coach this week, or next week, or early December. It's at the top of Batt's to-do list. He's supposed to do it correctly. Doing it correctly can mean leaving fans twisting in the wind for quite a while.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I had never heard of that guy before. After seeing this I did a quick search, and wow what a wild ride he’s been on.

Played for 3 different colleges, 1 NAIA and 2 D3’s. Also played 2 ways in college as both a QB and a safety.

Immediately stepped in as OC at his last college, Sul Ross State, after finishing his playing career. His team led all NCAA divisions in yards and points per game, and broke 16 school records for offense.

Hired by East Texas Baptist (a D3) to be OC in 2013 (at age 23!!) and fielded 2 top 10 offenses in his 2 seasons as OC. Then was promoted to HC in 2016 at age 26!!!! Once again his team led all NCAA divisions in scoring, and was 2nd in total offense, and finished 7-3.

Then hired by Southern Miss in 2014 as WR coach. Spent 2 years in the position then was named as Co-OC in 2019. After 1 game in 2020 Southern Miss’ head coach resigned and Walden was given interim HC duties at age 30, and he finished the fall 2020 season as USM’s HC.

Was hired by Austin Peay at the end of the 2020 season, and coached them in the spring of 2021 to a 4-2 record. (Remember FCS teams played the “2020” season in the spring of 2021.) He went 6-5 in the fall of 2021.

In 2022 he’s 6-3 at Austin Peay. They are currently 13th in total offense and 19th in scoring offense. In what essentially equates to 2 full seasons, Walden is 15-9 at Austin Peay.

It’s obvious Walden might have one of the best football minds in the world. He has been shot out of a rocket up the coaching ranks, but guys like him typically struggle to make it out of FCS and G5 purgatory simply because the big schools are too scared to take a risk on them. Walden will be name to look out for in coaching searches in the next couple years. If we need a new coach in ~5 years or so, Walden will probably be at the top of my list.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I voted other for the simple reason that I had no clue of who they would end up with as AD. I think they are looking for a coach who is innovative and find someone with the energy and creativity to turn this around. My guess is it will not be a big name coach but someone with significant upside.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
How much could we reduce our debt if Deion paid us to coach here for a couple of years in order to break into the FBS ranks?

Just wondering how much it would be worth to him. ;)

Deleted member 6494

How many tickets does he have to give out.
I would be shocked if the decision has not already been decided. I would get a clerk to get me all the data she could find from my initial search (maybe 3 candidates). I would have my mental search no later than 3 days. I would have already interviewed those three within approximately a week. I would have my choice made from the 3.

I would then select 3 more valid candidates and their records and interviews and compare them to the #1 candidate and among the other 5. If my number one candidate was far and above the others, I would take my selection to the committee and possibly to the big donors and get their responses.

I would consider their responses and make my final decision. I would only reopen the candidacy if there was a good reason. I would contact resources and contact the candidate to confirm his decision.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I would be shocked if the decision has not already been decided. I would get a clerk to get me all the data she could find from my initial search (maybe 3 candidates). I would have my mental search no later than 3 days. I would have already interviewed those three within approximately a week. I would have my choice made from the 3.

I would then select 3 more valid candidates and their records and interviews and compare them to the #1 candidate and among the other 5. If my number one candidate was far and above the others, I would take my selection to the committee and possibly to the big donors and get their responses.

I would consider their responses and make my final decision. I would only reopen the candidacy if there was a good reason. I would contact resources and contact the candidate to confirm his decision.
I nominate P. Herring acting AD for the board until a selection is made.
:):gt:

Deleted member 6494

I nominate P. Herring acting AD for the board until a selection is made.
:):gt:
Thanks for the confidence? By the way, I was originally on the Hive when it started up; as you can guess, I have my own personal thoughts about all items. My oldest daughter gave me a small wooden plaque that sits on my desk in front of me. She always took the opposite side of arguments with me just to harass me.

She gave me this plaque and it says, "To save time, let's just assume I know everything!" Yes, I have a lot of confidence, but it can be very irritating to many.

From the Hive, I went over to Stingtalk when it opened up. I posted there for a few years and then joined Swarm for a year. I got real busy researching all the topics I had learned during my life and found many were distorted. I have a computer full of my research on each of these topics.

I just recently rejoined SWARM to find out all the candidates for the Head Coach at Tech. I recognize some of the handles from the Hive, Stingtalk and SWARM from my previous forum terms. My board name that most were aware was "ahsoisee". If all goes well with a new coach, I will probably skip the forum and go back to my Biblical research. I posted a lot of scriptural items on Stingtalk; they had a sub-board for those type of posts.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
What about Tashard Choice? 😁

Would be a Dabo like hire. But honestly might not be a bad idea. Tashards been around, he's played he's coached in the league, and if he was given the money to find the cooardinators he wants we might actually be able to do the clemson model. FWITW this is the same argument for Brent Key only without the nfl experience. Choice would be able to recruit not only georgia but Texas as a well.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Would be a Dabo like hire. But honestly might not be a bad idea. Tashards been around, he's played he's coached in the league, and if he was given the money to find the cooardinators he wants we might actually be able to do the clemson model. FWITW this is the same argument for Brent Key only without the nfl experience. Choice would be able to recruit not only georgia but Texas as a well.
Coached in the league is a bit of a stretch, he was an intern for a year. Choice can definitely recruit good talent to Tech, we know that for sure. And he seems to be a strong motivator, another good attribute for a head coach. His experience at Tech and in the NFL as a player are helpful with recruiting. But I don't feel he can command a P5 HC salary with as little coaching experience as he has. If he wanted to do the Dabo route of "show me" and not getting paid much up front, I'd be interested to see who he would bring along to fill out the remainder of his staff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Found this gem while watching some offensive football videos. Jamey Chadwell vs Lance Leipold. Leipold was one of the hottest names in college football this season, though it's died down some recently. Chadwell obliterated Leipold's defense (though Kansas's 2021 defense was absolutely putrid).

Seriously...how fun is that offense to watch. Don't watch the offense, watch the defenders. Look how many defenders are stuck in no man's land, or how many defenders get turned the wrong way. Unlike CPJ's offense, you notice how the defense cant crowd the LOS? There's no 6-7 defenders crowding running gaps just daring you to beat them with your arm. As good as Grayson McCall is, he's still missing reads and throwing bad passes in that video. Chadwell's offense can actually perform at a higher level.

Personally, I would LOVE to see GT use this offense against the likes of UGA and Clemson.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for posting the video - I keep missing the games when Coastal Carolina is playing. While more of an RPO and more reliant on option run plays, I saw tons of similarities with Friedgen offenses where he mixed in straight runs with in/out passing and then true option run plays. CC's is just always run out of the shotgun. I'll have to go back and watch some fun 90's games now.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell would LIGHT up the ACC trash with his offense, i truly hate what happened at uva for obvious reasons but i also really regret that we didn’t get to see that matchup with Coastal this wknd

Deleted member 6494

Found this gem while watching some offensive football videos. Jamey Chadwell vs Lance Leipold. Leipold was one of the hottest names in college football this season, though it's died down some recently. Chadwell obliterated Leipold's defense (though Kansas's 2021 defense was absolutely putrid).

Seriously...how fun is that offense to watch. Don't watch the offense, watch the defenders. Look how many defenders are stuck in no man's land, or how many defenders get turned the wrong way. Unlike CPJ's offense, you notice how the defense cant crowd the LOS? There's no 6-7 defenders crowding running gaps just daring you to beat them with your arm. As good as Grayson McCall is, he's still missing reads and throwing bad passes in that video. Chadwell's offense can actually perform at a higher level.

Personally, I would LOVE to see GT use this offense against the likes of UGA and Clemson.

This is a Paul Johnson offense except it includes the passing game which has to be a terror for defenses.
I had never heard of that guy before. After seeing this I did a quick search, and wow what a wild ride he’s been on.

Played for 3 different colleges, 1 NAIA and 2 D3’s. Also played 2 ways in college as both a QB and a safety.

Immediately stepped in as OC at his last college, Sul Ross State, after finishing his playing career. His team led all NCAA divisions in yards and points per game, and broke 16 school records for offense.

Hired by East Texas Baptist (a D3) to be OC in 2013 (at age 23!!) and fielded 2 top 10 offenses in his 2 seasons as OC. Then was promoted to HC in 2016 at age 26!!!! Once again his team led all NCAA divisions in scoring, and was 2nd in total offense, and finished 7-3.

Then hired by Southern Miss in 2014 as WR coach. Spent 2 years in the position then was named as Co-OC in 2019. After 1 game in 2020 Southern Miss’ head coach resigned and Walden was given interim HC duties at age 30, and he finished the fall 2020 season as USM’s HC.

Was hired by Austin Peay at the end of the 2020 season, and coached them in the spring of 2021 to a 4-2 record. (Remember FCS teams played the “2020” season in the spring of 2021.) He went 6-5 in the fall of 2021.

In 2022 he’s 6-3 at Austin Peay. They are currently 13th in total offense and 19th in scoring offense. In what essentially equates to 2 full seasons, Walden is 15-9 at Austin Peay.

It’s obvious Walden might have one of the best football minds in the world. He has been shot out of a rocket up the coaching ranks, but guys like him typically struggle to make it out of FCS and G5 purgatory simply because the big schools are too scared to take a risk on them. Walden will be name to look out for in coaching searches in the next couple years. If we need a new coach in ~5 years or so, Walden will probably be at the top of my list.
Sounds like a winner but probably has missed qualifying for the race.