Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I originally posted that the decision to hire O'Brien was made prior to hiring Batt; I believe it was made by the present administration and the money boosters, but Batt may have the right to overturn their choice. It has been rumored he already had a choice, but also had someone else in mind.

He may have agreed to their choice since he knew both Key and O'Brien, however his research may have given him some doubt. Go to https://fansided.com/2022/10/14/georgia-tech-j-batt-brent-key-bill-obrien/
I don’t know a thing about that but it just “feels” wrong to me. Seems odd that we would make a decision like that before hiring a new AD and before seeing the interim HC play out at all.
At any rate, the article points out “conveniences” for both BOB and Key that are hard to deny. We shall see...

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You are citing one-off games and seasons. In the long run, Bama and Georgia have the best recruiting talent, and that's why they win the national titles (Georgia will repeat easily). Tennessee will likely land where they should be based on their recruiting, which is top 20 with a few top 10 finishes, because Heupel is a competent coach.

Will Deion or Gruden beat UGA 4 of 10? hmm, maybe 3 of 10? 3-4 should be our goal. They will get 5 stars here. Hell Deion got a 5 star at Jackson State, and Gruden is a QB GURU.
Stop with Gruden, TECH is NOT hiring him.
his reputation is mud (deservedly) and who knows what other text messages or skeletons he has in his closet.

Deion has gotten 5 stars to JSU, so why not ATL ?

stigs02jrt

Banned
First of all, lumping all option offenses into giant bucket makes zero sense. Not all of them are the same and they are all not executed at the same level.

Second, how well did anyone stop our offense in 2014 when we had one of the most efficient offenses of all time? If we had any type of defense that year we could have competed in the playoff.

Third, Chadwell is dominating his conference, as well as beating others who in the P5, with 2 and 3 star athletes. Are you suggesting that he could not win as much at Tech if he recruited and developed 3 and 4 star athletes?

Finally, no one is going to recruit 5 stars to GT on a regular basis. Not Deion. Not McGee. Not Gruden.
The basics of the option offenses ARE the same. Formations change, but the concepts are the same. Nobody is inventing anything that hasn't been done before.

2014? That's one season. Let me know how the 4 years before and the 4 years after went.

Chadwell is not dominating the Sun Belt. He won one co-championship during the effed up covid year when they cancelled the title game. Meanwhile Deion is ABSOLUTELY dominating his conference because of TALENT and competent coaching.

And yes, Gruden (QB guru) and Deion (got a 5 star at Jackson State) will bring in some 5 stars.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Where did the Gruden talk come from? He hasn't coached in college in 33 years, was barely mediocre in his last stint with the Raiders, and was fired for good reason. Why in the world do we think he would be a good fit, much less that he would pull in 5 star QBs?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I do like Chadwell's offense. HOWEVER, we've been here before with option offenses. Superior athletes (like UGA, Clemson, etc.) that play just a modicum of assignment football will stop this offense. It might work well in the Sun Belt where talent is somewhat equally distributed.

I liked CPJ but it's not like he was killing it at Tech. Chadwell will do well just to match what CPJ did. Is that enough to satisfy? Nah.

If we're trying to go next level and beat Georgia 4 out of 10 years, we need PLAYERS. Deion will bring them. Gruden will bring 5 star QBs.
Chadwell runs a hybrid that includes a healthy dose of option but which also throws the ball for 285 yards a game. He's not another Paul Johnson or Jeff Monken. It's not the same offense.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Where did the Gruden talk come from? He hasn't coached in college in 33 years, was barely mediocre in his last stint with the Raiders, and was fired for good reason. Why in the world do we think he would be a good fit, much less that he would pull in 5 star QBs?
There is absolutely zero chance Gruden is going to get the slightest consideration for HC at Tech. Way too much baggage. Zero.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell runs a hybrid that includes a healthy dose of option but which also throws the ball for 285 yards a game. He's not another Paul Johnson or Jeff Monken. It's not the same offense.
Give it up, man.
STARS matter. Only STARS.
Everything else is an afterthought. If only we had known years ago, we could’ve started bringing in more STARS.
Stop worrying about blocking and tackling... everybody does that!
Just STARS!
Not 2, not 3, not even 4...
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

stigs02jrt

Banned
Because he is being linked to the USF job and is interested in CFB. And GT is a much better job that USF. Issue is that he has a home in Tampa so USF is a better fit personally. If you don't know he's been a guru for 5 star QB HS prospects, google is your friend.

stigs02jrt

Banned
No one said it's the same offense as CPJ. But thanks for the "insight"?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Because he is being linked to the USF job and is interested in CFB. And GT is a much better job that USF. Issue is that he has a home in Tampa so USF is a better fit personally. If you don't know he's been a guru for 5 star QB HS prospects, google is your friend.
No chance he comes here. Forget it.

stigs02jrt

Banned
Give it up, man.
STARS matter. Only STARS.
Everything else is an afterthought. If only we had known years ago, we could’ve started bringing in more STARS.
Stop worrying about blocking and tackling... everybody does that!
Just STARS!
Not 2, not 3, not even 4...
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Actually it's just coaching, not the players!
Stop worrying about size and speed!
It's all about the the "scheme"!
Put Coastal Carolina up against UGA, I bet Chadwell's "scheme" wins!

:censored:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know a thing about that but it just “feels” wrong to me. Seems odd that we would make a decision like that before hiring a new AD and before seeing the interim HC play out at all.
At any rate, the article points out “conveniences” for both BOB and Key that are hard to deny. We shall see...
No way in hell would any respectable AD take the job if this was the case.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In my corporate days, I did a lot of work with the US Army and it’s leadership development teams. They have 200+years of data on how to succeed in leadership roles.

The number one criteria for success for any leader is “Has he done it in this environment before?” Frankly, it’s not even close.

The number two criteria is “How hardened is the executive staff?”, which means, how many years has the team under him, or the one he assembles, worked together? And … were they successful?

That suggests, you either hire a proven P5 coach or … hire a lesser coach who brings his entire staff with him. (Note: This is Bryan Hardin and the hemorrhoid of Boise State.)

My money is on a proven P5 guy.

Of course! If there's a proven P5 coach available and interested in the job that's a no brainer. O'Brien, not sure he'd come here. The other 'proven P5' guys available have other baggage or question marks. Unless you think we can poach Clawson or someone...

Excluding that, I'd much rather have someone who's 'done it' in a similar environment - successful HC in G5 - over a someone who's never been a HC. Ideally, you hire a current successful coach and they bring their key personnel on their staff with them. That was my point, not that we need to bring someone up from a lower level per se. But that prior HC experience is preferable and most of our realistic options for experienced HCs will be from lower levels.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This. If we were 13 - 1 we'd have someone on the board saying "I told you so!" about how Tech would have won more games if their...okay, let's be honest...his favorite offense/coach/player had been chosen.

That's what has me most worried about this process. As time goes on fonts seem to be moving from "I think X would be the best coach." to "Only X can win at GT, and I'm rage quitting if they don't hire him!"

We really need a fan base to get behind the hire, and I'm afraid too many people are setting themselves up for major disappointment that will cause them to be negative nellies out of the gate.

I remember a troll years ago who used to refer to 2014 as the "magical three loss season."

stigs02jrt

Banned
We need talent, coaching, and scheme - all three. What's not to understand?

Coastal Carolina against UGA? WTF?
look smart one. you seem to think that I'm saying we only need players. We ALSO need competent coaching. That's an obvious given. WTF.

All these guys on the list are at least competent, so we need the guy that will get the best players. Is it that hard to understand?

If you think Chadwell is a good recruiter, he hasn't shown that in the Sun Belt (typically 3rd ranked classes).

If you think Chadwell's offense is good enough to overcome his so-so recruiting, well your guess is as good as mine. We had one of those guys (CPJ) and the results were so-so. Do you really want to hire on a guess?