Your best guess....What say you about Miami game?

Deleted member 2897

The numbers I quoted were tickets sold. The crowds are usually late arriving so the stadium looks even less crowded than midway through the first half, but I usually guess about 10,000 empty sold seats. So if they quote 58,000 average, it's probably been close to 45,000 - 48,000. This year, the crowd was noticeably larger for the first home game angainst a lesser opponent (Bethune Cookman) which is typically poorly attended. I expect the game with Tech will be well attended since everybody is very enamored with Richt and the win over FSU. The bottom line is South Florida fans will not go to any event unless it is a special occasion. Watching mediocre football is not interesting enough to tear them away from sailing, boating, the beach or other outdoor activities.

This (numbers announced) is false. Your assertion that it is probably more like 65% full sounds fair based on what my eyes have seen. I posted several pictures earlier from around half time of their ACC games last year. Here they are again. This is not even 80% full. Its not even 80% of 80% full. It is probably 80% of 80% of 80%.

r8G33Lk.jpg

gOb2gRc.jpg

12J9MBv.jpg

pKDBMZU.jpg

MountPGT1990

Banned
Sounds like most of us were wrong thinking Andy Marshall would be back and playing this weekend, dang shame.

We are so so thin on OL. Losing Klock, Griffin, and now AM has crushed our depth the last two years. Morgan twins have got to step up and start producing now

Deleted member 2897

Sounds like most of us were wrong thinking Andy Marshall would be back and playing this weekend, dang shame.

We are so so thin on OL. Losing Klock, Griffin, and now AM has crushed our depth the last two years. Morgan twins have got to step up and start producing now

Our problems on the OL always seem to be so random too. Remember Eason left to go join NASCAR and Gary Brown left to go to Art School.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

If we had those 3 with the group we have now our o-line would be incredible

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
This (numbers announced) is false. Your assertion that it is probably more like 65% full sounds fair based on what my eyes have seen. I posted several pictures earlier from around half time of their ACC games last year. Here they are again. This is not even 80% full. Its not even 80% of 80% full. It is probably 80% of 80% of 80%.

r8G33Lk.jpg

gOb2gRc.jpg

12J9MBv.jpg

pKDBMZU.jpg

I doubt the announced number is false, as you say. It's the actual tickets sold whether the fans show up or not. I suppose if the ticket office is lying about sales, then you could be right. My question to people who question Miami's crowd size is why do you care? It's Miami's issue. It won't be Miami's issue if they start winning, though. As I've mentioned before, Miami people don't go to a football game just for something to do. It's got to be worth spending their time to see a winning product. That's not what the team has been giving them for 15 years or so. It's always been that way, even when Miami was winning their national championships.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt the announced number is false, as you say. It's the actual tickets sold whether the fans show up or not. I suppose if the ticket office is lying about sales, then you could be right. My question to people who question Miami's crowd size is why do you care? It's Miami's issue. It won't be Miami's issue if they start winning, though. As I've mentioned before, Miami people don't go to a football game just for something to do. It's got to be worth spending their time to see a winning product. That's not what the team has been giving them for 15 years or so. It's always been that way, even when Miami was winning their national championships.
I hadn't seen the continuation of this convo prior to responding to an attendance post in another thread. So, feel free to respond to that and the conversation here.

To answer your question, I don't care about Miami's attendance. Actually, I care to the extent that I hope it stays low. But the reason I started responding to attendance is because you mentioned in an earlier post that attendance is a big difference the last 2 years.
For those going to the game, the stadium will be a LOT louder than in the past for two reasons. Attendance was up last year 23% to over 58,000 per game. As everyone knows, Miami fans don't show up for mediocre football. And the Dolphins stadium has a partial roof on it which reflects the noise back into the stadium so it's been much louder last year and so far this year.

So, based on visual evidence, the assertion that the stadium will be a lot louder due to attendance feels unlikely to be true, in our estimation. If it is louder, it is likely the result of putting in the overhangs a couple years ago, which was a really good decision by the way, not due to increased attendance. If you get an actual "butts in seats" uptick of say, 20%, which may be generous, that probably raises actual attendance from 34k to 40k. That's not going to make much of a difference by itself.